how many run IDI's?? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 10:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Member # 44595
Location: Denvergrad
Posts: 1,282
Send a message via MSN to 1badb2 Send a message via Yahoo to 1badb2
how many run IDI's??

How many of you run 6.9/7.3 IDI's?

EDIT:

I'm just curious how many of these toterhomes and U-hauls that people are buying actually have IDI's in them.
__________________
Rats get fat, while brave men die.

Spare parts? If you're shooting your weapon to failure, it means you're really good to have stayed alive through that much combat. You're not fucked, You're just down a weapon, go get another off of one of the many dead bodies you created

Last edited by 1badb2; 11-29-2011 at 11:01 PM.
1badb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Member # 119312
Posts: 147
Been following your build thread on powerstrokenation...i have a 93 f250 4x4 with king pin 60 idi 7.3 turbo 5spd .....really like your build would love to do the same with mine but to many other projects mines just a plow truck/tow vehicle and it gets the job done i guess...hope to see some good numbers from your truck but either way its still bad ass
Ranger5.0L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2011, 11:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Member # 44595
Location: Denvergrad
Posts: 1,282
Send a message via MSN to 1badb2 Send a message via Yahoo to 1badb2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger5.0L View Post
Been following your build thread on powerstrokenation...i have a 93 f250 4x4 with king pin 60 idi 7.3 turbo 5spd .....really like your build would love to do the same with mine but to many other projects mines just a plow truck/tow vehicle and it gets the job done i guess...hope to see some good numbers from your truck but either way its still bad ass
dyno date is set for Dec. 17th.
__________________
Rats get fat, while brave men die.

Spare parts? If you're shooting your weapon to failure, it means you're really good to have stayed alive through that much combat. You're not fucked, You're just down a weapon, go get another off of one of the many dead bodies you created
1badb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Member # 119312
Posts: 147
Can't wait to see the results the videos make my truck seem really under powered
Ranger5.0L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Member # 196490
Location: Occupied Territory
Posts: 1,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badb2 View Post
dyno date is set for Dec. 17th.
My birfday! You know I have one. My brothers in arms who currently own 1989 UHuals with IDI's are MT4Runner, 87manche, shortystowing and surveyboy. The difference in all of ours is that 87manche and surveyboy got screwed in the rear end, literally. They don't have the "faster" 4.33s the rest of us do.

I think angryblack had one but it recently bit the dust and he bought a former lawn chemical truck to build into the new toter.
__________________
My IDIot Build [url]http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=14157134[/url]
Bustin Loose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Member # 142394
Location: Do or die bed stuy brooklyn
Posts: 2,861
Blog Entries: 1
Yup i had one, gonna go get it soon and rebuild the idi to go another 200k.So i guess one can say that i still own one..I love them to death.They are rock solid and take a ton of abuse..I mean i beat the ever livin crap outta my truck..

I think every international except the last year had the idi..Even then ost had the idi in them..With the newer front end and dash..Uhual switched over to the chvy platform for its trucks from there on out.
__________________
Looking for a 78+ caddy couple deville..Will travel to get a rust free clean victim.
angryblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Fullsize wheeler
 
pennsylvaniaboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Member # 83301
Location: everett, pa
Posts: 3,270
I have one, 92 banks turbo.....
__________________
'79 chevy 1 Ton vortec 350/sm465/205/205/D60/14btFF swampers and exo woot woot
pennsylvaniaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Member # 196490
Location: Occupied Territory
Posts: 1,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by angryblack View Post
Yup i had one, gonna go get it soon and rebuild the idi to go another 200k.So i guess one can say that i still own one..
You just couldn't stay away! You got sucked back in!

Hey! That means there are SEVEN of us!

Do you have any pics or a thread about yours pennsylvaniaboy? I'll add it to my lazy little index on my thread if you do.
__________________
My IDIot Build [url]http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=14157134[/url]
Bustin Loose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
SLC97SR5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Member # 98713
Posts: 178
I've got one.
'94 F350 CCLB Factory Turbo BTS E40D Moose pump...
SLC97SR5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite
 
MT4Runner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Member # 44480
Location: Kalispell, MT
Posts: 18,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Loose View Post
My birfday! You know I have one. My brothers in arms who currently own 1989 UHuals with IDI's are MT4Runner, 87manche, shortystowing and surveyboy.



I was going to post up, but Bustin' has the roll call already figured out.

Yager and snookwheels had them, too, but sold their toterhomes for other projects.


Pt_ranger_v8 swapped one into his early 90's F350, as well--thread in the Ferd forum.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Member # 86724
Posts: 6,083
I has one. 7.3L
It has less than 40K miles on it.
Still has Dealer's Diesel stickers on the valvecovers.

Thanks Uhaul!

I need to figure out if it has the internal turbo parts.
__________________
ko derf

Last edited by 87manche; 11-30-2011 at 08:39 AM.
87manche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:07 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Member # 44595
Location: Denvergrad
Posts: 1,282
Send a message via MSN to 1badb2 Send a message via Yahoo to 1badb2
alright guys, I just got done speaking with Camo, to make sure I wasn't breaking any vender rules trying to gauge interest so here goes:

I/we (my partner) want to become a yellow star member here and provide diesel performance service.

We would be specializing in the IDI performance sector providing everything from simple bolt ons, to full turn-key engines.

Fuel systems - stock to wild
camshafts
heads
custom turbo kits
stock upgrades
intake manifolds
pistons

and more!

On top of that, I would also supply a full line of 7.3 PSD performance parts that nobody else sells. Everything from mild to wild on that as well.

Injectors - stage 1 through 3
custom turbo kits
hpops
tunes
camshafts

and more!

Pirate is an offroad community but most offroaders have tow rigs, and a lot of you guys have turned to picking up u-hauls to build cool toterhomes.

Most of these trucks have the IDI it seems, and I know you guys dread hitting those grades!

Just trying to get your guys opinions first hand.
__________________
Rats get fat, while brave men die.

Spare parts? If you're shooting your weapon to failure, it means you're really good to have stayed alive through that much combat. You're not fucked, You're just down a weapon, go get another off of one of the many dead bodies you created
1badb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:18 AM   #13 (permalink)
Newbie
 
yozsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member # 91857
Location: Vallejo, CA
Posts: 1,637
Send a message via AIM to yozsi
i used to run a turbo'ed 6.9 in my 83 f150, was great around town and light loads. But it sucked when i towed about 8k pounds... i blew a few head gaskets, and finally threw a rod. it was a damn fun truck though.
__________________
92 Nissan Pathfinder- 3 Link SAS, 4 link rear
02 Dodge 2500 QC LB 4x4, CTD, nv241dhd, 500 hp daily.

Foreign Car Center
Vallejo, CA
yozsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:22 AM   #14 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite
 
MT4Runner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Member # 44480
Location: Kalispell, MT
Posts: 18,711
I'm running a UHaul because it was a cheap way to get into a lot of truck.

I would never put $4-6,000 into 7.3 upgrades. It would be cheaper, even if it would take more time, to do a DT444, DT466, DT360, or Cummins 5.9L swap.

I would absolutely consider $500-1,000 in mild performance upgrades . I'm not likely to spend $$$$ to try to find another 150hp, but I am likely to spend $$$ for 20-30hp and some more torque.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:35 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Member # 78077
Posts: 2,056
I run an 7.3 IDI. No turbo yet. Stay away from the autos if able.
__________________
Don't blame me, I voted against him.
#rawkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:41 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Member # 44595
Location: Denvergrad
Posts: 1,282
Send a message via MSN to 1badb2 Send a message via Yahoo to 1badb2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
I'm running a UHaul because it was a cheap way to get into a lot of truck.

I would never put $4-6,000 into 7.3 upgrades. It would be cheaper, even if it would take more time, to do a DT444, DT466, DT360, or Cummins 5.9L swap.

I would absolutely consider $500-1,000 in mild performance upgrades . I'm not likely to spend $$$$ to try to find another 150hp, but I am likely to spend $$$ for 20-30hp and some more torque.
You mentioned a few engine swaps. It would cost about as much usually to swap those engines as building the IDI you already have. Spending that money into the IDI will net you a more powerful engine.

what if that 6k would put you into a 500hp/1000tq tow-ready reliable IDI?

what if 3k-4k would put you into a 350hp/700tq IDI that you didn't have to decompress the bottom end or do any machine work. Just studs/gaskets and bolt on upgrades?

We have another IDI that is built this way.

Both engines are currently being run through the ringer to test reliability, and will be dynoed on the 17th to get real world numbers.

If you are happy with the stock performance of the engines listed above, we can easily put your IDI into those power ranges for cheap less than a swap cost, without the headaches. We should be able to serve anyone's need, and educate those that are still in the old slow IDI school of thought, with real world results, and warranties to back it up.

for people dead set on only wanting to spend a little bit to get a little bit.... we will be able to serve that need as well.

I am open to all opinions, keep them coming.
__________________
Rats get fat, while brave men die.

Spare parts? If you're shooting your weapon to failure, it means you're really good to have stayed alive through that much combat. You're not fucked, You're just down a weapon, go get another off of one of the many dead bodies you created

Last edited by 1badb2; 11-30-2011 at 09:49 AM.
1badb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:46 AM   #17 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite
 
MT4Runner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Member # 44480
Location: Kalispell, MT
Posts: 18,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badb2 View Post
what if that 6k would put you into a 500hp/1000tq reliable IDI?
Nope. I'd go for displacement and a torquier I6 takeout from a bigger IDI.

Quote:
what if 3k-4k would put you into a 350hp/700tq IDI that you didn't have to decompress the bottom end or do any machine work. Just studs/gaskets and bolt on upgrades?

We have another IDI that is built this way.
Not that I'm expecting "something for nothing", but would this be a rebuilt IDI, or bolted onto my existing stock motor.

I wouldn't want to "polish a turd" and bolt on nice parts to an engine of questionable background.

Quote:
For people dead set on only wanting to spend a little bit to get a little bit.... we will be able to serve that need as well.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:52 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Member # 29177
Location: New Albany, IN
Posts: 1,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badb2 View Post
alright guys, I just got done speaking with Camo, to make sure I wasn't breaking any vender rules trying to gauge interest so here goes:

I/we (my partner) want to become a yellow star member here and provide diesel performance service.

We would be specializing in the IDI performance sector providing everything from simple bolt ons, to full turn-key engines.

Fuel systems - stock to wild
camshafts
heads
custom turbo kits
stock upgrades
intake manifolds
pistons

and more!

On top of that, I would also supply a full line of 7.3 PSD performance parts that nobody else sells. Everything from mild to wild on that as well.

Injectors - stage 1 through 3
custom turbo kits
hpops
tunes
camshafts

and more!

Pirate is an offroad community but most offroaders have tow rigs, and a lot of you guys have turned to picking up u-hauls to build cool toterhomes.

Most of these trucks have the IDI it seems, and I know you guys dread hitting those grades!

Just trying to get your guys opinions first hand.
What kind of pump are you offering? The only performance pump is the Moose.
Injectors? The only decent replacements are matched bb code or Moosemisters. Most aftermarket shops have been labeled scammers due to the poor quality of their injectors.
There are no known heads or manifolds for the IDI and there is only one known cam, but I gave yet to see dyno numbers.

Last edited by Blind Driver; 11-30-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Blind Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:52 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Member # 44595
Location: Denvergrad
Posts: 1,282
Send a message via MSN to 1badb2 Send a message via Yahoo to 1badb2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Nope. I'd go for displacement and a torquier I6 takeout from a bigger IDI.



Not that I'm expecting "something for nothing", but would this be a rebuilt IDI, or bolted onto my existing stock motor.

I wouldn't want to "polish a turd" and bolt on nice parts to an engine of questionable background.



We didnt touch the bottom end on the engine you're talking about. Didn't even pull the oil pan. We ran it before buying it, tested compression, and thats really all you need to check on with these. There is no bottom end issues with these engines, they were built with OTR use in mind.

It would mean pulling the engine down to shortblock. Installing a cam, studs, and gaskets. and putting back together with a performance fuel system and turbo kit.

If you were so inclined to replace bearings, that is cheap.

The bottom end of my performance IDI included full balance and blueprint, decompressed-cryoed-coated pistons, bored...ect. You can save about $2500 by skipping all of this on the 350/700 engine.
__________________
Rats get fat, while brave men die.

Spare parts? If you're shooting your weapon to failure, it means you're really good to have stayed alive through that much combat. You're not fucked, You're just down a weapon, go get another off of one of the many dead bodies you created

Last edited by 1badb2; 11-30-2011 at 09:55 AM.
1badb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:56 AM   #20 (permalink)
WHEEEEEEEEEE!
 
gavan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Member # 22597
Location: Garner, NC
Posts: 2,530
Send a message via AIM to gavan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badb2 View Post
what if that 6k would put you into a 500hp/1000tq reliable IDI?

what if 3k-4k would put you into a 350hp/700tq IDI that you didn't have to decompress the bottom end or do any machine work. Just studs/gaskets and bolt on upgrades?

We have another IDI that is built this way.

Both engines are currently being run through the ringer to test reliability, and will be dynoed on the 17th to get real world numbers.

For people dead set on only wanting to spend a little bit to get a little bit.... we will be able to serve that need as well.

I am open to all opinions on what will work
Are you absolutely sure these motors will survive in a medium duty truck? I watched your build for your truck, and it looks like a real fun motor (probably more fun than my very mild 7.3 Powerstroke) but do you really think it can survive at 3K RPMS near full power output for 10+ hours like these guys run them? 500/1000 is a lot of stress for a IDI, or any small diesel, really, to put out on a regular basis. I have a friend with a 650/1200 Cummins, and it is a fun motor, but they only way to really push it is with a loaded trailer up a huge grade, even then it is only just getting into its potential. With the huge weights and aero drag of these trucks you will need to be putting out big power for much longer stretches of time. I smell disaster in the long term.

I could maybe see the 350/700 motor lasting a little longer, especially if it was built to the specs of the 500/1000 motor.

The problem for the MDT guys is the 6k buy in with the worked motor can buy them a full frame cut with a healthy 466 and an 8ll or other huge transmission, and probably get it installed, if they shopped around.

Hell, 6k could buy them a whole new truck, maybe 2 if they shopped around!

Like I said, love the motors you guys are building, but I think the MDT market would like some sub 1k moderate to mild power adders for their trucks, like worked pumps, injectors, maybe a cheap turbo system, not full blown hot rod motors that may or may not live in a big truck.
__________________
.
gavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:00 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Member # 29177
Location: New Albany, IN
Posts: 1,847
A IDI cannot make 500 hp reliably. The heads are not up to the task even you spent the $$$ for ARP studs and the machining that goes with them. The boost will blow it apart.
Blind Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:02 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Member # 44595
Location: Denvergrad
Posts: 1,282
Send a message via MSN to 1badb2 Send a message via Yahoo to 1badb2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Driver View Post
What kind of pump are you offering? The only performance pump is the Moose.
Injectors? The only decent replacements are matched bb code or Moosemisters. Most aftermarket shops have been labeled scammers due to the poor quality of their injectors.
There are no known heads or manifolds for the IDI and there is only one known cam, but I gave yet to see dyno numbers.
The key to your entire post is "known". That is the exact current known thoughts on these. Which is why I am gauging the interest.

This is my IDI:





This is a DB4 IP. This model is 150cc



Our pistons



I have my own cam other than the "typ4" cam, as well as a couple other grinds available.

Headwork includes custom 4-angle valve grinds, valve springs, stellite exhaust valves, and PC work:





This is the other engine we built:



__________________
Rats get fat, while brave men die.

Spare parts? If you're shooting your weapon to failure, it means you're really good to have stayed alive through that much combat. You're not fucked, You're just down a weapon, go get another off of one of the many dead bodies you created
1badb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:12 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Member # 44595
Location: Denvergrad
Posts: 1,282
Send a message via MSN to 1badb2 Send a message via Yahoo to 1badb2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavan View Post
Are you absolutely sure these motors will survive in a medium duty truck? I watched your build for your truck, and it looks like a real fun motor (probably more fun than my very mild 7.3 Powerstroke) but do you really think it can survive at 3K RPMS near full power output for 10+ hours like these guys run them? 500/1000 is a lot of stress for a IDI, or any small diesel, really, to put out on a regular basis. I have a friend with a 650/1200 Cummins, and it is a fun motor, but they only way to really push it is with a loaded trailer up a huge grade, even then it is only just getting into its potential. With the huge weights and aero drag of these trucks you will need to be putting out big power for much longer stretches of time. I smell disaster in the long term.

I could maybe see the 350/700 motor lasting a little longer, especially if it was built to the specs of the 500/1000 motor.

The problem for the MDT guys is the 6k buy in with the worked motor can buy them a full frame cut with a healthy 466 and an 8ll or other huge transmission, and probably get it installed, if they shopped around.

Hell, 6k could buy them a whole new truck, maybe 2 if they shopped around!

Like I said, love the motors you guys are building, but I think the MDT market would like some sub 1k moderate to mild power adders for their trucks, like worked pumps, injectors, maybe a cheap turbo system, not full blown hot rod motors that may or may not live in a big truck.
I am not only trying to appeal to MDT market, but the truck guys as well, so keep that in mind. As for your question about the IDI surviving in a MDT truck... no doubt in my mind. I base this off of the T444e surviving. The IDI bottom end is of equal size, and with our engine designs we can make power, without crazy boost, and keeping low EGT.

I get what you're saying with the MDT guys and the whole budget. As for my engine taking 3k RPM all day long, I don't see why it wouldn't, but only time can tell.

Would I want to throw my current IDI into a MDT and find out at someone elses expense? Definitely not. I wouldn't put a 500/1000 7.3 PSD in one either though.

I think a 300-350/700 IDI is easily within the realm of reliability for the MDT market though.

This is why I am trying to gauge the interest. I know what the pickup guys need/will work, I am figuring out the MDT market. How much power do you guys actually need, then I can design something to suite you.

Sub 1k is unlikely if you want to go turbocharged, but I think we can design something to work well in the 1.5-2k range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Driver View Post
A IDI cannot make 500 hp reliably. The heads are not up to the task even you spent the $$$ for ARP studs and the machining that goes with them. The boost will blow it apart.
This is just not true. It is the previous school of thought, but has been disproved several times over the last few years, and especially in this last year.
__________________
Rats get fat, while brave men die.

Spare parts? If you're shooting your weapon to failure, it means you're really good to have stayed alive through that much combat. You're not fucked, You're just down a weapon, go get another off of one of the many dead bodies you created

Last edited by 1badb2; 11-30-2011 at 10:19 AM.
1badb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:17 AM   #24 (permalink)
waterboy
 
surveyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member # 9086
Location: 505 miles from the hammers
Posts: 4,196
i am as posted above LOL and I did find some 4.33 gears!


as for power upgrades...... well, honestly, i can't justify it to myself. i've got a 230k mile motor now, and i know it hasn't been driven by a grandpa in any of those miles.

i know right now my truck will sit at max rpms for 12 hours only slowing down at fuel stops.....

i've got MAYBE $5000 invested in this truck.... in the end, its still a 22 year old truck.... i can't see doubling my investment so i can get 2-3mpg or cruise up the passes at 55mph at the risk of blowing the engine up because of the upgrades (yes, i know it can happen at any time, regardless)


but, i'm a cheep sob who doesn't like to spend money LOL
__________________
polaroid pic stashin asshole, if you believe everything you read that is.

Last edited by surveyboy; 11-30-2011 at 10:27 AM.
surveyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:26 AM   #25 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite
 
MT4Runner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Member # 44480
Location: Kalispell, MT
Posts: 18,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavan View Post
Like I said, love the motors you guys are building, but I think the MDT market would like some sub 1k moderate to mild power adders for their trucks, like worked pumps, injectors, maybe a cheap turbo system, not full blown hot rod motors that may or may not live in a big truck.
Heck yeah.

Not talking 20psi here. I would think that 6-8psi would add some much needed modest "oomph".
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.