2002 duramax. any common coolant leaks? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 06:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 80873
2002 duramax. any common coolant leaks?

was talking to my father in law and he said everytime he has been starting his truck it is leaking a mix of oil and coolant and its dripping onto the ground from the engine compartment. i havnt gone to look at it yet and will this week. hes not very mechanically inclined. i was figured if it is leaking this bad it hopefully will be easy to find but is there anything common on these trucks i should be looking at? what would leak a mix of coolant and oil other than a head gasket. and if it was a head gasket wouldnt the truck overheat? he says its not overheating and once it warms up it stops.

he has been having to service to coolant but not the oil. since he said that i was wondering if its just leaking coolant and looks like oil and coolant on the ground since its running down the dirty engine?

any advice is appreciated and il update this when i go look at it.
bushauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 106178
I think the water pump COULD leak coolant and oil, since it is gear driven, but I am not positive.

The water pumps normally start leaking between 150k-200k miles
takotruckin is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2011, 07:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 80873
Quote:
Originally Posted by takotruckin View Post
I think the water pump COULD leak coolant and oil, since it is gear driven, but I am not positive.

The water pumps normally start leaking between 150k-200k miles
i think that is about the mileage he is at. will it leak coolant and oil from the weep hole? thats one of the things i was going to check when i look at it this week.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 41443
They usually don't even last that long. You sometimes won't even get a good look at the weep hole. You might just see coolant coming down the left (driver) side of the engine in the front and over the tube that goes back to the oil cooler. It's not a hard job at all, and you DON'T have to pull the radiator.

The oil part could be from the power steering and the coolant is just picking up some of the fluid on the way down. I say this because almost every chevy truck I have worked on has had weeping/seeping p/s lines. If ya have any more questions feel free to PM me.

-Garret
motoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 140580
It's a 1 to 2 hour job, biggest pain in the ass is getting all the gaskets to stay lined up when putting the pump back on...
1996 DODGE 2500, 4X4, CUMMINS, 370'S, 5GSK, MACK PLUG, STUDS, SFI FLEX PLATE, DERALE DEEP PAN, EMS HUB KIT WITH 35 SPLINE INNER AND OUTTER MOSER AXLES, WARN GOLD LOCK-OUTS, 3 IN. LEVELING KIT, DUAL EDELBROCK REMOTE RESERVOIR SHOCKS, ROUGH COUNTRY STEERING STABILIZER, STEERING BOX BRACE.
LOGANSTANFORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 18157
Depending on where it's leaking from the oil cooler assembly (driver side rear of the motor) has oil/coolant close to each other, the other as stated above is the water pump weep hole cause the front engine cover has oil and coolant close to each other and only a shaft seal between them.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 180520
Send a message via AIM to Chevy355Mark
open up the radiator and make sure its only coolant in there, if its a sludgy mixture then you have an issue with the oil cooler built into the radiator.

dex cool makes the pumps go pretty quick, if it is the pump thats weeping make sure to flush the system and put some regular old green coolant in and never ever mix green with dex. ever.
Chevy355Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 80873
thanks guys for all the anwsers so far. il check all this stuff out.

if it was a pump would it leak when first started and possibly stop when warmed up. thats what he said its doing. il try to get over there today after work
Old 12-05-2011, 04:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 17596
water pump isnt the end of the world

However the person who said 1-2hours has either never done it, or has done it so many times he has it down to an art.
hpi_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 106178
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpi_jeep View Post
water pump isnt the end of the world

However the person who said 1-2hours has either never done it, or has done it so many times he has it down to an art.
He's a parts guy, so he knows his shit
takotruckin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 177990
Quote:
Originally Posted by takotruckin View Post
He's a parts guy, so he knows his shit
It's doable in 2 hours. Just have to know a few tricks to wiggle the upper tube out of the way. I love doing the waterpumps on D-Maxes. Almost as easy as a Northstar once you have done a couple.
Brimmstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 41443
It really is an under 2 hour job. I am a diesel tech, not a parts pusher. You just need to know some of the tricks. Such as not pulling the radiator to get the crank pulley bolt off. Just put a cheater bar or good 1/2" drive or bigger ratchet against the bottom of the frame on the passenger side. (I used a 2 foot long snap on 80 tooth 1/2 drive ratchet last time.) Place a piece of wood against the radiator (bottom shroud piece helps hold the wood). And tap the starter. Breaks the bolt loose and saves you all the time and mess of having to pull the radiator. That one trick probably just saved you a good hour on the job. Everything else is easy.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
plasma dust huffer

Member # 25823
Send a message via ICQ to carslut
i used this tool set to do my dmax water pump. i was able to remove my fan and its mount as one unit while leaving the radiator in place. its a tight fit but it came out.

Lisle LIS22100 Flywheel Locking Tool Kit For 6.6L Duramax

before i got this tool it was an 2.5-3hr job. after best i did was 1hr 45mins from pulling into the driveway till it was getting refilled with fluid. yes i did change 3-4 pumps before getting this tool so maybe i just got a touch better at doing the job.

i do not suggest sticking an pry bar of some kind between the flex plate and torque converter, i saw first hand a guy blow an hole in his converter trying to break loose the crank pulley bolt.

www.exit0customs.com

Offering in House Custom CNC Plasma cutting services, we can take your idea from design to your doorstep.

have a sketch you want to become parts for your project? pm me, i can help. parts are shipping out daily

"it makes the mach5 look like a vagina" - ARCHER

Last edited by carslut; 12-06-2011 at 08:45 PM.
carslut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 80165
Maybe for you 12" cock super diesel mechanics it's a 1-2 hr job... For everybody else, it's a 4-6 hour job. Thats with regular tools. Gotta get ahold of a mega socket (I don't remember the size off hand) to take the harmonic balancer off. If you have the fan pulley wrench and the flywheel tool, they'll shave 1-2 hours off of the time I posted above.

Oh yeah, I forgot this...
Old 12-06-2011, 08:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 41443
36 mm, 12 point
Old 12-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 80165
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer View Post
36 mm, 12 point
Yeah! That one!
Old 12-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 80873
ok so i finally got to go check this thing out and im not really sure what it is. these look like kind of a clusterfuck compared to my cummins.

all the oil lines and coolant lines and coolers look ok. i dont see any leaks. oil level is fine. doesnt look like any coolant in oil. i got under the truck and looked while he started it. it is coming right out of the flange at the clamp where the exhaust downpipe meats the rest of the exhaust. it sprays out pretty good until the truck warms up or he drives it a few blocks then it stops. the coolant is black from being in the exhaust. is this the egr cooler? any advice or help is appreciated. they dont have money to take it to a shop right now so and im not really a duramax guy. thanks
Old 12-11-2011, 03:03 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 141858
thoes turbos have coolent running in them. I cant recall how it gets there and back.I can look tommrow unless some one else knows better. the coolent to the turbo is susposto help with worm up,then when the t stat opens it rerouts the coolent.
ceb0217 is offline   Reply With Quote