Pirate 4x4 banner

Moore87's Gooseneck build

27K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  Moore87 
#1 ·
Building a 27' gooseneck trailer to haul my jeep. Plan is haul the jeep on the rear, put a slide in truck camper on the front.

Started with a delivery frame for a 40,000 lb CNC machine we got in at work. Frame measured 28'6" by 9'6". Total weight is 4900 lb.

There are 2 main beams going the length of the trailer and 12 full length crossmembers. The center 2 beams are not continuous. They are welded in between the crossmembers.

Plan is to remove both center beams, cut it to car-hauler width, and add a torque tube. Trailer will have a steel deck, 2x7000lb Dexter brake axles, blah blah. Now pictures

The channel is approximately 8"x3.5" (CNC came from japan so this is actually metric channel) and is almost 20lb/ft.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
End of Day 2

Neck risers will be 12" I-beam 19 lb/ft. Neck will be 10" 15lb/ft.

Attachments

#4 ·
End of day 3. This is current as of today.

Have it in the shop now. I have some stands that I made the correct height to build the trailer upside down. I have some more cutting to do (center beam) and a few crossmembers. The crossmembers are not evenly spaced and there are a few that are way too close together. These will be removed.

The work is being done at a friends shop, so I'm hoping to finish this quickly to get it out of there

Attachments

#6 ·
Got the center beam torched out today after work. Tomorrow I will be cutting the frame to length and removing some of the rectangular tubings and tabs welded on. Thursday I will be putting it up on some stands I built, and start putting the neck risers and neck on.

More pictures tomorrow

#10 ·
It's not going to be too bad. It started out at 4900 lb and I estimate I've cut off 2600 lb. I need to add back around 2000 lb with the steel deck. Should be under 5k lbs when done which seems to be about average on weight.

Tomorrow the plan is to cut out the neck gussets and weld on. Then tack on the axle brackets.

Underneath the 8" channel I will be welding on some 5"x3"x1/4" angle from the neck risers to the front spring hanger. It will go under the I-beam riser and have plenty of weld on it.

Anyways, Here is what I got done today.

Attachments

#11 ·
For those still watching, I made some progress. It is finish welded. Still need to add a few 3" crossmembers and the outside rub rail.

Making progress though

Attachments

#13 ·
As it sits right now, here are the prices

Axles $850
Tires/Wheels $700
Steel $1100
Coupler $5
Suspension brackets $110

I also have Jacks, wiring, LED lights, breakaway kit $500
Safety chains, d rings, stake pockets, misc crap, $300

Still need to buy steel for the deck and 3 more sticks of 3" channel.

Total, probably about $4500. This is for a steel decked, 27' gooseneck with 16" centers, brakes on both axles, LED lights, dual jacks, etc.

In my area, I see these trailers go for about $5000-$6500 used, and $6000-$8500 new. So it seems expensive, but I am saving quite a bit of money.

#15 ·
Progress today. All my crossmembers are welded in. 16" centers.

Kinda changed my plans, and will be making this trailer full width. Ran out of steel so this is where it sits now

Attachments

#17 ·
Made some more progress. Got all my steel in. Started on the outriggers. There will be a 3" channel rail running the length at the end of these outriggers with stake pockets and rub rails. I have them all cutout, just need to weld the other side on.

Progress is going slower than I would like (not being able to work on it everyday like I want to) but it's getting closer to finished every week.

Attachments

#18 ·
Not sure if anyone is still watching, but the fab is finished.

Pulled it 190 miles to get it painted. It will be painted, then I will wire it, and I'm finished.

I will weigh it after it's painted to get a license plate and will post that. Pulls great. It is heavy though. Estimating around 5000-5500 lbs.

Attachments

#32 · (Edited)
WINNER

I know its heavy but this is a steel deck trailer with ramps and 2 spare tires. it is also full width.

The 4500 lbs is the axles and the 1780 is tongue weight

Attachments

#31 ·
looks great. Knowing what my 24ft deckover and my buddys 30ft lowboy weight, im gonna guess yours is around 5300 LBs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.