4700 CC MDT up at auction... - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #76 (permalink)

Member # 112455
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavan View Post
Seriously. Engine swaps, axle swaps, transmission swaps, even blah-blah computer controlled junk swapping is pretty much plebeian around here, no one remotely thinks you are special.
One thing that is kind of funny though, is almost everyone here will do an engine swap/trans swap/axle swap on their jeep or wheeling truck yet most won't touch their tow rigs and get rid of the generally shitty stock parts and actually make them better to tow with. So I guess he thinks he is special in that regard (though we've seen no proof of anything but a stock late model king ranch so far).
lurchseesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #77 (permalink)
WHEEEEEEEEEE!

Member # 22597
Send a message via AIM to gavan
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Could you show me someone putting a 2010 Cummins 6.7 with an 08 ECM in an 08+ Superduty using the 2011 6R140 transmission ? I have a few questions for them !
Start a thread. Humbly present your findings. Ask questions about what you are looking for. Show pictures of the things you have, and the things you are missing. Throw up some facts you have found, and some conjectures of the things you do not know. Humbly respect other people's questions and help, and if you think they are wrong, present facts that will help the process along.

Odds are you will get some helpful hints from people that have done a bunch of swaps before, and you might scare up someone that has done something similar. Some collective intelligence will help you along.

Sitting here continually saying how you are better than everyone else does not help you.

Telling everyone else they made bad decisions on vehicles because they made different choices than you does not help you.

Saying you are "working on something" gets you 0 respect here. Everyone here is "working on something". This is not some pansy ass diesel board where the number one question is "what tuner do I use" and people argue about the legality of deleting the DPF.

Everyone here gets shit done.

Put up or shut up and find the door. Everyone will be happier either way.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #78 (permalink)

Member # 196490
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurchseesu View Post
(though we've seen no proof of anything but a stock late model king ranch so far).
Is that truck real?

Oh and I mentioned you(lurch) in Mr. Mindless Roadranger thread.

Last edited by Bustin Loose; 05-04-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Bustin Loose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:50 PM   #79 (permalink)
WHEEEEEEEEEE!

Member # 22597
Quote:
One thing that is kind of funny though, is almost everyone here will do an engine swap/trans swap/axle swap on their jeep or wheeling truck yet most won't touch their tow rigs and get rid of the generally shitty stock parts and actually make them better to tow with. So I guess he thinks he is special in that regard (though we've seen no proof of anything but a stock late model king ranch so far).
Yeah, I had a couple comments to that effect on my ZF6 Excursion swap. (cut up the tow rig? Oh Noes!!1!)

A lot of people have heavy duty work rigs too, and most can not touch them due to work concerns.

But, there are plenty of MDT builds on here, some older tow rig builds, some air suspension swaps, bunch of repowers, etc., and some people that go full custom on shit.

Besides that, a lot of people that have not touched their town rig have shoved LS-whatever motors and computer controlled trans in their wheeling rigs, and the actual mechanics and electronics involved are not very conceptually different from putting a computer controlled diesel in your tow rig.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:59 PM   #80 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Fuck up a wheelin' rig and you put it on the trailer and tow it home and fix what you fucked up on your original install, take it to the trail and try again.

When you start swapping parts on a previously reliable towrig--the one you're expecting to put your broke-ass wheelin' rig on--to get home safely and reliably, it takes a bit bigger leap of faith.

10x more nervous when you propose to do the same and then take off on a trip across the country, where you can't just call a buddy to come give you a tow home.

Quote:
One thing that is kind of funny though, is almost everyone here will do an engine swap/trans swap/axle swap on their jeep or wheeling truck yet most won't touch their tow rigs and get rid of the generally shitty stock parts and actually make them better to tow with.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #81 (permalink)
WHEEEEEEEEEE!

Member # 22597
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
10x more nervous when you propose to do the same and then take off on a trip across the country, where you can't just call a buddy to come give you a tow home.
Heh, its all part of the game. I am joining the "re-engineer a transmission just to go on a 4k mile road trip" club with you soon.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #82 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
I didn't say it wasn't worth it, but when Dave Cole was expecting me on the lakebed a day after I left Montana to run radio relay for the EMC, and a buddy of mine was riding with me on his week's vacation, I'll readily admit I was pretty damn nervous!!!!
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #83 (permalink)
$5 Fine For Whinin'

Member # 142381
Quote:
I didn't say it wasn't worth it, but when Dave Cole was expecting me on the lakebed a day after I left Montana to run radio relay for the EMC, and a buddy of mine was riding with me on his week's vacation, I'll readily admit I was pretty damn nervous!!!!
Lmao.. I don't blame ya, that was a long haul! Hell, I'm about to leave work and contemplating driving the dodge for the first time in a year... I'm pretty nervous and it's only a 40 minute drive!
Old 05-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #84 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Fuck up a wheelin' rig and you put it on the trailer and tow it home and fix what you fucked up on your original install, take it to the trail and try again.

When you start swapping parts on a previously reliable towrig--the one you're expecting to put your broke-ass wheelin' rig on--to get home safely and reliably, it takes a bit bigger leap of faith.

exactly the reason I haven't let you fuckers talk me into tinkering with my injection pump.

My wife would kill me if the tow rig broke down and it was directly attributable to something I did.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #85 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 142394
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
exactly the reason I haven't let you fuckers talk me into tinkering with my injection pump.

My wife would kill me if the tow rig broke down and it was directly attributable to something I did.
Ha, when my old lady met one of my best friends it was over dinner..I remember harold and her in full agreement of "when they close the passenger side door its no longer a trip with me..Its a fawkin adventure"
Old 05-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #86 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Originally Posted by angryblack View Post
Ha, when my old lady met one of my best friends it was over dinner..I remember harold and her in full agreement of "when they close the passenger side door its no longer a trip with me..Its a fawkin adventure"
we've had plenty of adventures for sure.

she's witnessed me patch a radiator
run the heat at full tilt on a 90* day to keep it under the redline.
bypass all manner of electrical things. (We didn't need that, is the standard answer)
rewire taillights in the dark after being pulled over by a podunk NC sherrif that smelled like a liquor cabinet (in a dry county no less)
Got stranded in CO after a wheel came off a Jeep (this following after I tore the fuel tank out on Moab rim and generally made an ass of myself)

We seem to attract bad weather. Tornadoes and the like have happened.

It's a good thing she's pretty mellow about it, but I'm pretty sure if the wienerbox broke down on the side of the road she might flip out.

Last edited by 87manche; 05-04-2012 at 01:54 PM.
87manche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #87 (permalink)

Member # 196490
Quote:
We seem to attract bad weather. Tornadoes and the like have happened.
I'm staying away from you then! I'm coming up on the one year anniversary of my tornado fun and I notice I still get a bit nervous when it's windy and cloudy.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #88 (permalink)

Member # 86582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Loose View Post
I'm staying away from you then! I'm coming up on the one year anniversary of my tornado fun and I notice I still get a bit nervous when it's windy and cloudy.
Don't come out this way this time of year then. LOL
BassnTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #89 (permalink)

Member # 196490
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassnTruck View Post
Don't come out this way this time of year then. LOL
Oh I remember! I'll be coming through sometime this summer so it will be slightly better. So far the only tornadoes I've experienced were at the Schneider OC in Indianapolis and amazingly here in Massachusetts with the Mass tornado being closer to me. And to think I moved here for snow.

But driving through tornado alley is different from being near a tornado magnet!

/giggle this post is #666 for me

Last edited by Bustin Loose; 05-04-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Bustin Loose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #90 (permalink)

Member # 112455
Quote:
I suspect it might have already been tinkered with already (or at least the governor spring). I remember the math saying you should top out at 68 or so. And the gps saying you were at 73(?). If math doesn't lie, and gps doesn't lie, then there's some other factor in there. Wish you had a tach to see what you're actually revving. Was it maxxed out or did it still have some to go?

Last edited by lurchseesu; 05-04-2012 at 03:27 PM.
lurchseesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #91 (permalink)
WHEEEEEEEEEE!

Member # 22597
Quote:

He who smiles
When things go wrong

Has just found someone
To blame it on

Work on that. Words to live by, especially when you are married
Old 05-04-2012, 05:51 PM   #92 (permalink)
me2

Member # 139805
Quote:
Start a thread
I'll get right on that sir ! Double time, sir !

Coincidentally I came across a 4700 CC tonight just like the one that was for sale. Except it had a 466. It was sitting on the side of the road with the flashers on.

I stopped to help them. It had hydraulic brakes. Brake pedal went to the floor. No brakes. Scared the crap out of them. Lucky it was stop and go traffic.

After a bunch of troubleshooting I figured out that there must have been a problem with the seal in the booster cylinder. The "power steering" pump had a bunch of oily grime on it. I suspect this isn't the first time that someone worked on the brake system on that truck.

When I left them, they were going to limp their way to the nearest IH dealer.

But MDTs never give any trouble ????

Last edited by me2; 05-04-2012 at 06:03 PM.
me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #93 (permalink)
WHEEEEEEEEEE!

Member # 22597
Quote:
But MDTs never give any trouble ????
Brand new F350s are the perfect tow rig and never need 10,000 bucks in fuel system maintenance either, troll.

I will take a master cyl seal over an entire fuel system any day.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #94 (permalink)
WHEEEEEEEEEE!

Member # 22597
Quote:
I'll get right on that sir ! Double time, sir !
Until you do you are just another asshole with a worthless truck saying how everyone else is wrong, you are right, and that is just how it is.

Post some facts or get the fuck out.

kthxbye.

Last edited by gavan; 05-04-2012 at 06:46 PM.
gavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:58 AM   #95 (permalink)
Uzin' toolz

Member # 84339
Wait, so this douchenozzle is talkin' shit about how great his tow rig ism and hasn't even posted a build thread

Fuck, I did something nobody else has done on my tow pig, and I started a thread

Now, I want to re-do it
your retarted.
For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here--> www.lugnut4x4.com
Pt_Ranger_V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:20 AM   #96 (permalink)
WHEEEEEEEEEE!

Member # 22597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pt_Ranger_V8 View Post
Wait, so this douchenozzle is talkin' shit about how great his tow rig ism and hasn't even posted a build thread
Even worse, its just a stock f350, but hes got "plans".... like everybody else.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:27 AM   #97 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
I suspect it might have already been tinkered with already (or at least the governor spring). I remember the math saying you should top out at 68 or so. And the gps saying you were at 73(?). If math doesn't lie, and gps doesn't lie, then there's some other factor in there. Wish you had a tach to see what you're actually revving. Was it maxxed out or did it still have some to go?
that was as fast as it goes. but it cruised 70 no sweat, didn't sound like I was floating valves or anything of that nature. Next trip I plan to keep it around 65 and see if I can get better mileage. That last trip I was drunk with speed.

Quote:
Brand new F350s are the perfect tow rig and never need 10,000 bucks in fuel system maintenance either, troll.

I will take a master cyl seal over an entire fuel system any day.
that doesn't count, because it was under warranty.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:43 AM   #98 (permalink)
Uzin' toolz

Member # 84339
Quote:
Even worse, its just a stock f350, but hes got "plans".... like everybody else.
Mine's just a stock F-350 too

Quote:
that was as fast as it goes. but it cruised 70 no sweat, didn't sound like I was floating valves or anything of that nature. Next trip I plan to keep it around 65 and see if I can get better mileage. That last trip I was drunk with speed.

that doesn't count, because it was under warranty.
I've found my IDI REALLY likes to be below ~800 on the EGT's. Speed doesn't matter quite so much, as long as the egt's are low. I've got the sensor mounted on the DS rearmost exhaust port in the manifold, so the readings are directly related to the amount of fuel going in - no lag.

I realize you won't pull the amazing 16-17mpg I get with mine, but try that on a trip and see if it makes a difference.
your retarted.
For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here--> www.lugnut4x4.com
Pt_Ranger_V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:47 AM   #99 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pt_Ranger_V8 View Post
Mine's just a stock F-350 too

I've found my IDI REALLY likes to be below ~800 on the EGT's. Speed doesn't matter quite so much, as long as the egt's are low. I've got the sensor mounted on the DS rearmost exhaust port in the manifold, so the readings are directly related to the amount of fuel going in - no lag.

I realize you won't pull the amazing 16-17mpg I get with mine, but try that on a trip and see if it makes a difference.
EGT's??

yeah, no gauge for that.
its on the to do list.
I got a voltmeter, oil pressure and temp guage and a not functioning speedometer. It's pretty basic.

For what it is I can't really complain about mileage. Even @ 70 I was doing better than 8MPG. I know guys with campers that get way worse than that towing. If I excercise some sense I think I can get back up to the 10MPG I was getting with 5.57's. I could live with 8 though, I'd put up with a lot to not be stuck @ 55 MPH again.
If I hack the box off and dump 2K lbs f weight, and about 3 feet of height/flat front I think 12 might be a possibility. and that puts it into straight mileage for what it is.

Last edited by 87manche; 05-05-2012 at 07:51 AM.
87manche is online now   Reply With Quote