Trying to find out double towing laws. Anyone help? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 211025
Trying to find out double towing laws. Anyone help?

I live in Florida and as far as I have found online double towing is illegal in Florida Georgia and Alabama, rest of the states are okay on the way out to moab for me. I have a dodge 2500 Cummins HD with 8ft bed and air bags in the rear. I also have a single car trailer we plan on putting one jeep on. Can I tow bar a second jeep behind the car trailer once I get out of the states that its illegal in? Im having a really hard time getting a good answer on this. I have found alot about double towing behind 5th wheels but not much on car trailers.. I have brakes on the trailer and a brake controller in the truck so no worry there.. What about if I used a tow dolly instead of flat towing??

Never done anything like this and having a hard time getting a good answer.

Thanks

Sean
ssquier92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 211025
more

http://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide...ple_towing.php
http://www.woodalls.com/articledetai...eID=1195129#MN

little out of date though

still wondering if anyone has more experience with this
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 27909
Don't know if you can see it or not. PM me and I will send them too you in a big file but this is the basic laws for all state. It is out of my dealers catalog.
It looks like the states on your route that you cannot pull two trailers are
Alabama
Florida
Illinois
Georgia
Kansas

Although I have found that most officers will not mess with you as long as it looks safe and you are doing it at a safe speed. If you are trying to run 80 and your back trailer is all over both lanes you will become a target!!!
Ultra 4 #6148

Toterhome

Special Thanks To: 4WHEEL PARTS, BRANIK MOTORSPORTS, FLYING HOOK CRANE SERVICE, HIGH LIFT JACKS, WARN INDUSTRIES.
4Linked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 211025
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Linked View Post
Don't know if you can see it or not. PM me and I will send them too you in a big file but this is the basic laws for all state. It is out of my dealers catalog.
It looks like the states on your route that you cannot pull two trailers are
Alabama
Florida
Illinois
Georgia
Kansas

Although I have found that most officers will not mess with you as long as it looks safe and you are doing it at a safe speed. If you are trying to run 80 and your back trailer is all over both lanes you will become a target!!!
I was planning on doing the florida alabama mississippi, louisiana, texas, new mexico, colorado, utah route but could change depending. I will PM you for that file though that would be great. I was wondering how much DOT would mess with me since it isnt a commercial deal, And im not going to be doing 80, ill be shooting for a good mpg to make this trip affordable for me. I just dont know if its worth taking a chance for the ticket, i wonder how expensive it would be even.

Other option is best deal for rental i have found is a 20 ft deck trailer with 2 ft dovetail.. might be able to squeeze two TJ's on there but it would be DAMN close
Old 05-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 985
Send a message via Yahoo to robert stone
tow-bar or dolly behind a trailer is DEATH waiting to happen
robert stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 74407
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquier92 View Post

Other option is best deal for rental i have found is a 20 ft deck trailer with 2 ft dovetail.. might be able to squeeze two TJ's on there but it would be DAMN close
Better make sure its a 14k GVW trailer and has good tires.

2 TJs are gonna be about 25ft overall give or take. So you'll wanna back the 1st one on as far as it'll go and then pull the 2nd one on. That'll put most of the weight over the axles. As long as you can get all the tires on the trailer you'll be okay.
TireFryerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 118558
When we went to Moab, I bought a 34 foot trailer, then sold it when I got back for $400 less than what I paid for it.

It was like renting a brand new trailer with brand new tires and brand new brakes. Since I financed it, I only paid interest for one month.

If this is a one time trip and you're considering renting a trailer, buying one and unloading it after you're done is a nice option.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 211025
Hey guys thanks for the replies.. I was thinking about it, the double towing may be a little sketchy but the single car trailer I have is very solid so I didnt think it would be too bad with swaying or anything.. but it might be.

I think the 22 MIGHT be doable.. its got all new tires and axles to handle the weight its an equipment trailer technically.. i dont remember the weight ratings but they were around the 14k i think.

I have considered buying a trailer and reselling it, but I would really much rather just rent one so I dont have to worry about registering and all that stuff.. although the financing thing is an option..