1952 Dodge Cummins tow rig - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2012, 05:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 174963
1952 Dodge Cummins tow rig

I started this build about a year ago. I started a build thread over on 4btswaps when I was going to run a 4 banger Cummins in this truck, but since I came to my senses and put a motor with more power in it I thought I would share it with you guys where I have been lurking for a while. I'm not a big 4x4 guy, but some of the tow rig builds on this board are really awesome and the 4bt board seems to be a little uptight, so I'm hoping you guys can give me some inspiration and ideas on what would make this ride better in the end. I don't expect many people to be impressed. This thing was built by a couple of shade tree mechanics, without a tree. I don't hold a candle to a lot of the fabricators on this site. It will be safe and fun, but I'm not guaranteeing anything else. So here it goes a 1952 Dodge body on a 1979 P30 bread van rolling chassis with 1997 Cummins 6bt power and a nv4500 transmission.

The initial plan was to make a hot rod truck with a wrecker bed or cut down fire truck bed for hauling trailer towing. Still looking for one of those by the way. I started looking into engine/chassis combos that would fit under the hood of this truck and give me a more updated drive train. I found that the GM p30 chassis had an almost identical track with as the Dodge and the Cummins 4bt re-powered version would give me a decent performing diesel engine that would fit well under the original hood of the truck. Well, as I got more into the 4bt and even scored a couple including a p pumped version my plan changed to be able to use this truck for more heavier towing chores and also 4 cylinders just wasn't going to be quite enough power for my tastes so I decided to cut the firewall and make a 6bt fit in this thing so I could haul a gooseneck trailer if need be and just haul ass when unloaded. Mechanically it's almost all fabricated, it's not pretty yet, but I plan on slowly tearing it back apart cleaning, painting, etc once the fab is completely done. We'll see how far that gets, it might just get pressure washed and rattle canned. Anyway, here's the build from start to now, I'm hoping to be on the road in the next couple of months and finished sometime before someone wants to give me an insane amount of money for it or I die, whichever comes first.

I started off with a pretty beat, but complete 1948 truck, but the price was right. I am keeping it for parts until the truck is done, then probably selling/scrapping the rest. If anyone needs something off it let me know.

As the project got started I came across a 1952 truck in nice shape up north of Dallas so I paid out a little cash and saved myself lots of body work. Right now, I'm thinking keeping the body as it is, the paint has a nice patina.

First things first, tearing apart the truck. We had the aid of a forklift for this, the front clip was kept bolted to the cab and it was all lifted as an assembly.

lunacy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 174963
Here's the p30 chassis with the stock 52 Dodge cab mounts. The frames are the same width, this made the body swap as simple as cutting the rivets that held the mounts to the old frame positioning them and bolting them to the new frame. I also decided to reuse the original front bumper so the front of the 52 frame was cut off and welded to the front of the p30 frame.

Here's the cab mocked up on the p30 chassis without the motor. This is where the hard part began, measuring to see what had to be modified to fit the 5.9 and the radiator and intercooler that go in front of it. Surgery was going to be needed on both the firewall and core support.

We cut the core support out to get the intercooler as far forward as possible. The intercooler is out of a 6.0L Ford. It's the biggest one I could find that would physically fit and afford. The radiator is an aftermarket aluminum unit built for a 58-59 Chevrolet pickup, once again the largest thing I could find that fit in the space.

With the new core support built and placed it was time for the body to come off again and the motor to be put in place. Here's some pictures of getting the motor in place. The stock motor mounts were used with fabricated frame pieces to position the engine as far forward as possible with fitting the intercooler and radiator in the front of the truck.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 174963
We noticed it looked like the head gasket was leaking on the back of the motor, and the injector pump seal was leaking oil everywhere so no better time to reseal the motor. While we were at it the pump was advanced a few degrees for good measure and of course the KDP was tabbed.

Got to have a/c. A stock Dodge low mount bracket was cut and fitted to a modified stock alternator bracket. A piece of square stock was welded to the bottom of the assembly and drilled and tapped for the idler pulley.

With the drive train in place it was time once to mate the body with the completed chassis. The firewall needed surgery as did the floor to fit the transmission.

The truck came together pretty well with only one major unplanned hurdle. The turbo exhaust housing was aimed right at the firewall where the passenger's feet would go. I didn't want to intrude more on the passenger floor so we decided to space the turbo down and in enough to clear the floor.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 174963
The stock pedals out of the p30 and the gas pedal out of the 97 Dodge were made to fit under the dash of the truck. Using the p30 stock hydroboost and Dodge clutch master cylinder with a shortened shaft.

The steering wheel is also out of the p30 bread van, it's standard 70's Chevrolet with a simple column. I'm planning for a different steering wheel, but the straight column helps keep it looking old school.

Here's where it sits, not too much different looking than when I started this. Still lots of work left to do, next is floors and a removable dog house to go over the motor. Then wiring, lights, and all the details to make it road worthy. One of these days I may even find a bed for it.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 9095
Send a message via AIM to 44Runner
Fuck it dude, I think that thing is bitchin'.

Thanks for sharing...

I think an old school square side, beaver tailed bed with a 5th wheel would be extra pimp

EDIT: something along these lines:
http://herrinhauler.com/images/dodge...erbedlarge.jpg

Last edited by 44Runner; 05-26-2012 at 06:49 PM.
44Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 127462
fuck ya!

[email]Camprockfab@Gmail.com[/email]

[URL="www.Facebook.com/cgriff4582"]www.Facebook.com/cgriff4582[/URL]
PSYCHOFAB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 45172
The fancy tig welded unlimited budget shop builds are cool, but they aint got shit on a backyard fabbed truck the average Joe could learn from and "copy".
Keep up the good work man, you've got a hell of a start!
Old 05-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 119827
nice !!!

or to stay with the theme of the previous posters ; fucking nice

that lowered turbo is very trick
Old 05-26-2012, 09:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 29037
Between you and RoosterBooster I am getting all kinds of ideas for a what I thought was dead 52 L-110 binder project!

A bit pricey but who knows it may be what your looking for.
http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/grd/3018944334.html

Last edited by bigun; 05-28-2012 at 09:30 PM.
bigun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 150595
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunacy View Post

The truck came together pretty well with only one major unplanned hurdle. The turbo exhaust housing was aimed right at the firewall where the passenger's feet would go. I didn't want to intrude more on the passenger floor so we decided to space the turbo down and in enough to clear the floor.

Subscribed.

Good job.

Nice way of fixing your turbo clearances with what you had. If that ever gives you trouble, Cummins has exhaust manifolds that swing the turbo down right beside the engine block like on my school bus.

Nat

Last edited by nat_ster; 05-26-2012 at 09:39 PM.
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2012, 12:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130003
Rat Rods are very hot now, and even Bryan at Chrome Shop Mafia did a rat rod themed Peterbilt.
From what I am seeing in your build, you have nothing at all to appologise for!
Common sense shit for sure!
I wouldn't touch that paint !!!! Maybe shiny wheels, or even get the OEM wheels blasted and powder coated. They have powder coat that looks like polished aluminum, and some that looks ALMOST chrome.
Still looking for a wrecker body for ya, but most around here are rust piles.
Keep up the good work.
Harold Phipps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2012, 10:03 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 174963
We looked at the school bus manifold that moves it more rearward and down, it would have still needed more floor trimmed. I thought of flipping one and putting the turbo high and to the front but that would have caused clearance issues with the a/c and lines. Then, there was a piece of stainless tubing lying around that fit the flange with a little negotiation and it turned out to be the best idea. I ordered a machined exhaust adapter and tight 90 degree bend and it clears everything perfectly. I'm going to wrap everything by the floor to try and keep the heat down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
Subscribed.

Good job.

Nice way of fixing your turbo clearances with what you had. If that ever gives you trouble, Cummins has exhaust manifolds that swing the turbo down right beside the engine block like on my school bus.

Nat
Old 05-27-2012, 10:06 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 174963
I'm thinking blacked out wheels and I have some 40's Dodge polished stainless hub caps that I'm hoping to adapt over the lug nuts. Haven't decided if I want flat black to match the truck fenders or shiny to get them noticed. Maybe some trim rings if I can find or make them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Phipps View Post
Rat Rods are very hot now, and even Bryan at Chrome Shop Mafia did a rat rod themed Peterbilt.
From what I am seeing in your build, you have nothing at all to appologise for!
Common sense shit for sure!
I wouldn't touch that paint !!!! Maybe shiny wheels, or even get the OEM wheels blasted and powder coated. They have powder coat that looks like polished aluminum, and some that looks ALMOST chrome.
Still looking for a wrecker body for ya, but most around here are rust piles.
Keep up the good work.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:13 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 174963
Thanks for the encouragement. Rooster is definitely a source of inspiration. That bed is close to what I'm looking for, but I kind of have my heart set on fenders. Here's a Photoshop of what I envision the completed truck to look like. I took a photo of a Dodge Holmes wrecker and cut down the bed sides about 10 inches and lowered the whole truck. The wrecker booms will go, this will just be a hauler. I found a whole wrecker up in Dallas for sale that close is to this, but the guy wants tons of cash if I can get him down I may have a bed soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigun View Post
Between you and RoosterBooster I am getting all kinds of ideas for a what I thought was dead 52 L-110 binder project!

A bit pricey but who knows it may be what your looking for.
http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/grd/3018944334.html

Last edited by lunacy; 05-27-2012 at 10:13 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-27-2012, 10:49 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 119827
Quote:

oh hell yes !!!.... that looks just perfect

if it would be my truck (sadly it is not ) maybe i would make the bed a tad shorter on the front and add a headache rack with black stacks in between cab and bed.
i`m not a fan of messy weed burners; imho vintage trucks with diesel engines can get away with stacks without looking gaudy ...
Old 05-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 210149
Awesome build.I love the look of old Dodge trucks
Old 05-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 108006
Love the build. Wish you would have used the Pilot House, but the Job Rated cab looks almost as good. Shame that the hood ornament is missing. Good luck with the project and let me know what you have left over from the 48, i am interested in it for a few parts for mine.

Last edited by JunkCJ6; 05-28-2012 at 03:14 PM.
JunkCJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 05:03 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 174963
Nice flatbed, I think my next project will be a 48-49 1/2 ton daily driver with a 4bt. I will send over a PM with what I have left over when I get it done.
My truck is actually a Pilot House. It has to do with the cab design which is the same from 48 to 53, even though it says Job-Rated in the grill. The true Job-Rated series are the 39-47 trucks, but they used the name a lot past that. I have been thinking about pulling the cross bars and Job-Rated badge out of the grill and seeing what it looks like wide open and show off the intercooler. I do kind of like the grills on the 48-50 trucks better. I've been thinking about mounting a hood ornament on it too, this truck never had one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkCJ6 View Post
Love the build. Wish you would have used the Pilot House, but the Job Rated cab looks almost as good. Shame that the hood ornament is missing. Good luck with the project and let me know what you have left over from the 48, i am interested in it for a few parts for mine.

Last edited by lunacy; 05-28-2012 at 05:05 PM. Reason: don't need pics again.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
old school idiot

Member # 86194
sometimes old junk is just to cool for words
93 S10 2 dr & 95 S10 4 dr
F 800 toter ho
retired wheeler
wilez5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 06:43 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 108006
Quote:
Nice flatbed, I think my next project will be a 48-49 1/2 ton daily driver with a 4bt. I will send over a PM with what I have left over when I get it done.
My truck is actually a Pilot House. It has to do with the cab design which is the same from 48 to 53, even though it says Job-Rated in the grill. The true Job-Rated series are the 39-47 trucks, but they used the name a lot past that. I have been thinking about pulling the cross bars and Job-Rated badge out of the grill and seeing what it looks like wide open and show off the intercooler. I do kind of like the grills on the 48-50 trucks better. I've been thinking about mounting a hood ornament on it too, this truck never had one.
Yeah, meant to say Pilot House early/later Job Rated grill. I bought that one for the stainless grill sections and when I got the truck home it ran. Also have a 50 1/2 ton shortbed that will eventually be a street rod with a 413 in it. Hope you get the hood ornament on there, nothing cooler than the stretched out ram.
JunkCJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 07:48 AM   #21 (permalink)
bf
Granite Guru

Member # 131367
very sweet project lunacy! you picked the right place to post it. i agree with your viewpoint on the "other" forum. haven't been on there in years.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:20 AM   #22 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Quote:
I'm not a big 4x4 guy, but some of the tow rig builds on this board are really awesome and the 4bt board seems to be a little uptight, so I'm hoping you guys can give me some inspiration and ideas on what would make this ride better in the end. I don't expect many people to be impressed.
Safe to say you fit in fine around here.

Quote:
The stock pedals out of the p30 and the gas pedal out of the 97 Dodge were made to fit under the dash of the truck. Using the p30 stock hydroboost and Dodge clutch master cylinder with a shortened shaft.
This is the kind of junkyard tech that IMHO originally built this site. People have gone from there to TIG-welded works of art, but low-budget tech still rules.

Great truck project. I agree, keep the original paint/patina.
I also like your bed ideas.

Think about an MDT transmission swap. I'm here to tell you that you will appreciate having 7, 9, or 10 gears.

....or a Brownie box that would fit that era of truck.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #23 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 22748
I say you cut up the old cab and make your truck a quad cab.
looks bitchen BTW.
-ALBERT EINSTEIN-
#472tellico rally
xtrm-s10 is a bad hauler dont let him haul your stuff
[/URL][/COLOR]KJ6IYH
surpip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 119827
Quote:
Originally Posted by surpip View Post
I say you cut up the old cab and make your truck a quad cab.
looks bitchen BTW.
in theory i love that idea...
but i would fear that with every surface convex and rounded it can quickly turn into a sheetmetal nightmare
Old 05-29-2012, 12:42 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 174963
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterBooster View Post
in theory i love that idea...
but i would fear that with every surface convex and rounded it can quickly turn into a sheetmetal nightmare

There is a guy over on the HAMB that was working on one. Put it on a 3/4ton Dodge chassis. It was coming out pretty nice. I think the roof section off a panel wagon got thrown into the mix of two cabs.

For me, it's day cab only. I just think they look cooler and I am not planning any cross country trips for this truck, it's mostly to haul projects within the state. I don't have any kids or big ass dogs to haul around either.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.