Tell me how bad of an Idea this is - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 75114
Tell me how bad of an Idea this is

In my head, it seems like a good idea to purchase this and get it converted to an "RV".

In reality, it has sat for a few years, I have never worked on anything this big, it has back reg that looks expensive, the conversion and then insurance are big question marks, etc.

I can't stop thinking about how awesome it would be to have tho.

It has a 5.9 Cummins and what looks like a 4spd Allison. It needs tires, the generator looks like it needs to have some gaskets replaced, the rear hydraulic motor looks like it is leaking, the rooftop AC got hit by a tree, the list goes on... I am still trying to convince myself that it is a bad Idea, but it is getting more difficult.

keeptahoewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 75114
Also, If this should just be in GCC, then so be it.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
WHEEEEEEEEEE!

Member # 22597
Send a message via AIM to gavan
Usually old snap on trucks are rode hard and put away wet. It looks like an uphill battle to begin with with everything you say is wrong with it.

I hate driving step vans for any distance. Uncomfortable, huge windows make the inside a hothouse, usually have substandard HVAC that would cool a "normal" truck cab just fine but are like pissing in the wind when trying to heat or cool a step van.

Step vans are made and designed to be used for short stop city delivery, with lots of room to move around in the cab and being able to easily walk from the van to the drivers seat often during the day.

If you are not driving long distances and dont mind replacing EVERYTHING that is worn slam out on that thing, it might be OK. If your trips are 2+ hours long and you expect to spend long days driving in it I think you will get very tired of it very quick.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 75114
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavan View Post
Usually old snap on trucks are rode hard and put away wet. It looks like an uphill battle to begin with with everything you say is wrong with it.

I hate driving step vans for any distance. Uncomfortable, huge windows make the inside a hothouse, usually have substandard HVAC that would cool a "normal" truck cab just fine but are like pissing in the wind when trying to heat or cool a step van.

Step vans are made and designed to be used for short stop city delivery, with lots of room to move around in the cab and being able to easily walk from the van to the drivers seat often during the day.

If you are not driving long distances and dont mind replacing EVERYTHING that is worn slam out on that thing, it might be OK. If your trips are 2+ hours long and you expect to spend long days driving in it I think you will get very tired of it very quick.

So that is a very good reason to reconsider. Thank you.

It is fully insulated from the looks of it, also has that AC unit on the roof.

I would want to take this to JV (8 hours) and everywhere else I could think of.

I know I would rather have the 6spd allison as well for HWY driving.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 142394
While i like them a lot i have yet to commit to one..Like gavan has stated the hvac sucks, that can be fixed.. I know when you walk into the drivers cab it looks like a fresh palette of goodness..But the 5.9 will struggle until you turn it up..Then the allison will go t shit..

Looks like its on a freightshaker chassis so swapping in a highway geared axle would be easy..

Let some food vendor get that truck if your not looking for a heavy project.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 132500
Non-lockup autos are really terrible for highway driving, I would pass on it just because of that.
Machinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 75114
Quote:
Originally Posted by angryblack View Post
While i like them a lot i have yet to commit to one..Like gavan has stated the hvac sucks, that can be fixed.. I know when you walk into the drivers cab it looks like a fresh palette of goodness..But the 5.9 will struggle until you turn it up..Then the allison will go t shit..

Looks like its on a freightshaker chassis so swapping in a highway geared axle would be easy..

Let some food vendor get that truck if your not looking for a heavy project.
Oshkosh... which is more of a pita if I had to guess.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
WHEEEEEEEEEE!

Member # 22597
Send a message via AIM to gavan
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeptahoewhite View Post
Oshkosh... which is more of a pita if I had to guess.
Meh, most MDT/HDTs are like legos. A company just takes standard frame rails and standard components, screws them together, and put their name on it. Like others said, if it is a AT545 allison, it will be a non lockup fuel hog pig over time.