dt466 smell like raw fuel - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 9716
dt466 smell like raw fuel

I have a truck I just put a rebuilt dt466 in. I dont know anything about the rebuild. I bought the motor from a guy that had it rebuild 4 years ago and never used it. He a older guy and he doesnt remenber who build it or anything but he had it rebuilt for a dump truck. I looked in side the oil pan and valve cover. So I know it been rebuild.

So I got it in the truck. When its cold it will start ez after you pump the primer 5-8 thing. When Its warn i can barely touch the key and it fires nice and ez. I have blew air in the tank and cannot find a leak. So any idieas?

Then it really smell like unburn fuel when it is cold and just idleing. It clears up after it get to around 190.

Also its a rotory pump. Would timing made it smell bad?
popafink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 9716
Dam all those views and no info!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 209156
Quote:
Originally Posted by popafink View Post
Dam all those views and no info!!!
Hellacious air leak? How does it run when cold? How does it run when hot? Plenty of power? Also, is the injection pump and injectors new?

What color is the smoke? How much smoke?

Last edited by No Sparkplugs; 10-29-2012 at 08:04 PM.
No Sparkplugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 192237
I was thinking stuck injector, but then noticed he didn't give enough info.

The fuel smell is coming from where?
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 74825
Most older diesels I have been around smell pretty raw when they are cold, eye burning raw.
Back Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 9716
yes it is eye burning smell from the exhaust. I have replaced the injector because one was sticking. so they are all new. The injection pump has rebuild tags on them. But that is from when it was rebuild 4-5 years ago and then just sat in a coner of a shop. It is white smoke. It runs great either way cold of hot.

The rotary pump doesnt have a boost port/valve. So we were think maybe it just turned what at idle so when it is boosting it has enough fuel. But I dont know if thats right.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 209156
Quote:
Originally Posted by popafink View Post
yes it is eye burning smell from the exhaust. I have replaced the injector because one was sticking. so they are all new. The injection pump has rebuild tags on them. But that is from when it was rebuild 4-5 years ago and then just sat in a coner of a shop. It is white smoke. It runs great either way cold of hot.

The rotary pump doesnt have a boost port/valve. So we were think maybe it just turned what at idle so when it is boosting it has enough fuel. But I dont know if thats right.
I wonder if the pump hasn't gummed up after all that sitting around? Or did they ever run it after they rebuilt it?

I would try running it off of a jug of fuel. Eliminate any possibility of air leaks.

Does it drift smoke out of the exhaust after you shut it off? Almost sounds like you have an injector slobbering.

It shouldn't white smoke just because it doesn't have a boost compensator. A stock injection pump won't put out enough fuel for that. The pulling tractor I work on is different...it will make you run and hide when it's idling cold. But, it is set for 900cc of fuel, which is probly damn near 10x what an old round pump would do.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
me2

Member # 139805
I'd check the static timing and if the timing mechanism is working properly.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 26797
An old mechanical diesel is going to be burn your eyes raw when its cold or at an elevated idle. It may be normal