Pirate 4x4 banner

Ram 5500 Build

61K views 61 replies 27 participants last post by  STRAC 
#1 · (Edited)
Finally going to start getting this on here- might take a while though...Original thread was on Expedition Portal- moving posts over from there so bear with me

Started in May of 2010- this is how it progressed from this:

to this:

to this:

and why....and maybe what's next...

"Bought the truck 3 weeks ago, doing some engine tuning (parts on the way) and planning out the real fun.

The truck is all stock with an aluminum Hillsboro bed. I am seriously contemplating selling the bed, having one made for the Camper and storage after reading the F550 flatbed thread by boblynch

Next thing is wheels and tires. Looking to go with the MPT 81's in the 335/80R20 or possibly the 365/80R20. Wheels I have been talking to Stazworks about some steel beadlocks.
Welcome to Stazworks extreme offroad web presence!

I don't want to lift it, so I am having the axle moved forward to get clearance. If need be I have an adjustable (1"-5") aluminum spacer to add and/or trim the fender.
That is going to be done by Evolution Machine
Evolution Forums

First I need to get the rims and tires so we can have them there to position the axle. Looking at having Clay at Evolution do the bed, he has some interesting ideas to improve the suspension and ride with his custom built shocks down the road as well.

Anyone have a good line on the MPT 81's, or even other wheels I should consider?"

"The truck is a quad cab 4x4 6.7L Diesel Cab & Chassis truck 64" Cab to axle, 164.5" wheelbase. Stock rims are 10 bolt 19.5's , axles are the same as the F 550- I think- rear Dana 110. GVW of 19,500 lbs.

I do want to go off road- though I have my other truck for more hard core stuff, but want to go off "the beaten path" and be self sufficient.

I have had Michelin XL's and XML's on my '01 Dodge in the past in the 38" size and, yes they were heavy. In reality there will be a lot of highway driving, but I am accustomed to the large off-road type tire, I like the ability to perform well off road and air down.

Other option is going with 22.5 rims and on/off road floats in a 365/85 R22.5 size. Last alot longer, carry the load well and stiff sidewalls- more limited off- road.

Need to nail down the tire choice soon as it will affect the rest of the build."

See less See more
#2 ·
May 2010 cont'd

"Well, the tires don't seem to be that widely available- not up here anyway. Kal Tire is now the only authorized dealer for Continental tires it seems, OK tire said they can get Continentals- but no one knows anything about them. One guy just plain didn't believe me!

I also tried Expedition Imports by e-mail with no reply, found another one :
Unimog Wherehaus

but the e-mails bounce back, I don't think they are in business anymore?

May just have to end up going with Goodyear G178 SS on a 22.5 rim. Heavy tire and can't air down much off road- but will definitely last!"

"Thank you for all the calling around and info.

I did talk to TC here (Pirate Tires) and they found the same tires as Adam Blaster I guess.
4 of the 335/80R20 @ $625 ea and can get the 365/80R20 in a couple weeks at $750 ea.

Going to check a couple other US dealer, see if I can come up with a little better pricing.

haven-
You are correct, the Toyo's would be a "smart" choice. I did read the post you referred to, very impressive. With those tires I'd still need to get new rims (my 6" wide are too narrow) but wouldn't need to touch the suspension. BUT i really want to go with a larger single- can't help myself! and moving the axle forward should only put me in for another $1200-$1500, pretty good deal for the work (Clay is a MASTER with suspension mods)

As for re-gearing, I should be OK. The truck has 4.88's with a G56 manual:

even a 43" tire would put me a an effective ratio of 3.56 (my '01 came stock with 3.54's). I am keeping the old wheels and tires for heavy towing if I ever need them, but I thinkI'll be OK with the camper, gear and an 8-10,000 lb trailer on occasion.

If I'm wrong- I'll have to save up for an underdrive I guess!"

#3 ·
cont'd...I know, worthless without pics- They're comin!!

" Finally some progress...
It's been a while, new business has taken up most of the time and funds, but-

Stazworks double beadlocks w/ 43" Continental MPT 81's are finally shipping out next week.

2 days ago made a private deal to trade my Toyhauler RV for a 2010 Arctic Fox 992 and some cash. Not the exact Camper I wanted, really wanted a side entry, but the best deal I was going to get trading the RV."

#5 ·
"It fit pretty well on the flat deck

Now I have some other decisions to make: big one is keep the Hillsboro aluminum deck I have and modify it, or sell it and do a custom one...

Custom one would obviously work better, but will be $$

The Camper will stay on the truck pretty much full time. Will use it for work travel hotel/office as well as weekend and holiday excursions.

Once I get the tires fitted up I'll have a better idea, but I will be losing some potential storage space for wheel wells since I'll be lifting it very little or maybe not at all. Worth it to keep as low as possible.

Custom deck may allow mounting the TC lower, possibly a flexible mount, though if I convert to airbags all around I can keep the chassis more level off road.

Other considerations are mounting the spare and making a rack to carry this:

still be able to tow a trailer (Confined Space Entry/Rescue Simulator yet to be fabbed) and this back to Moab and some other interesting places

at least the "kids" have already picked out a spot

#6 ·
Progress cont'd

"Been working on it furiously the last 2 weeks, have to be ready to
go for next week to Edmonton Indy and then the Expedition Rally.

Some quick info on what we've done and plan to do:

Put in a 2" spacer on top of the coils which leveled it.
Built adjustable control arms and pushed the axle *forward 2" (could
go up to 4" if needed) moved sway bar mounts forward, new bumpstop
plate, lengthened front driveshaft, *made new upper *shock tower (3"
lower), cut out fenders above the stock flare line, cut out a couple
inches of te lower cab corners under body mounts, removed hillsboro
deck and have basic frame of unimog style deck for camper made with
one side rigid mounted and other shackled to flex, added air bag
helpers to rear springs to keep level with camper loaded.

Still to do this weekend:
Finish fenders
Bumper
Deck for camper
Fab new windshield washer tank
Rack to carry motorcycle.

After I get back from trip:
Cut off stock coil buckets a d fab new ones- possibly with air bags
Also looking at radius arms, Evolution makes some awesome ones. Up
travel will always be limited but try for more droop
Fab up storage for deck
May re do fenders to more of a old Power Wagon style
Air system

Lots of work!"

#7 ·
"A few pics from earlier this week

For reference, the black Dodge is on 38's"

#8 · (Edited)

and Mrs. STRAC learning to spot...

More to come...

#12 ·
It's an '01 full load with an '02 5.9 24 valve, 140 hp injectors, edge comp box, banks high Ram, AFE CAI, Raptor 150 gph pump, Pac Brake, Custom DTT trans with billet shafts, Carli/ Thuren suspension with King remote resi's, 3rd gen track bar, steering brace, 38 x 14.50 Toyo MT's, new 4.10 gears and some I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Don't drive it much anymore- haven't even gone through 2 tanks of fuel since having it gone through ny a cummins mechanic here I trust (finally!!) replaced all brakes and hardware, intercooler, installed the Raptor pump, new door hardware, etc..

Had it for 10 years and kind of attached ;)

#13 ·
Thanks- appreciate it.

#14 ·
They are HEAVY, especially on steel double beadlocks. Fortunately have the axles and brakes to handle em fine.

Ice traction sucks- used 150 maxigrip studs per tire last winter- it helped but didn't live up to the promises. Studs wore out very fast (was a pretty mild winter) I didn't put much mileage on it either.

Traction everywhere else is great, ride waay better on road than any of the Michelin XL's or XML's I had in a smaller size on my '01 before.

If I wasn't keeping up my payload capacity (max load 7900 lbs/tire), I'd consider going to 44" PB Rockers (love them on the Jeep- but heavy too) or maybe the 47" PB Growlers- neither one would last as well though.

#17 ·
Not on this computer(iPad), have to dig some up or take some...

#18 ·
Not sure on total length we ended up at, need to measure. They are adjustable on both ends, so can go back to stock (ish) or another 2-3" longer.

No free spin for this axle, or anything else- that I have found anyway! If someone knows of anything, free spin, lower gears or lockers I'd love to know. It is a Magna axle, I don't know of anything else they come under?

#22 ·
Have to see what I can do!

#23 ·
Will have some measurements on the arms control arms next week. Doing some drawings with a machinist to make up some more.

#26 ·
Deck pics

#27 ·
Fender pics

sorry for the crappy quality, just some quick cell phone pics...

#30 · (Edited)
Fenders look good.

How did you bend them and roll the edge and what gauge are they?

I just did a DRW conversion on my '01 PSD and just used 14 gauge bent around a spare tire with a ratchet and bolted to sides of bed with 90* brackets. Not the nicest thing I've done but works and was cheap with tools I had.

#43 · (Edited)
Not sure of the gauge, Clay at Evolution made them up- 2 bends. Used some pipe if I remember right, welded it to the cut out stock fender, braced it then finished the edges with some round stock. They are strong, was a fair bit of work

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.