best fuel mileage 1 ton work truck - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 112499
best fuel mileage 1 ton work truck

Our shop has decided to get us a couple new work trucks. They will be used for our welding rigs but also need to be able to haul heavy loads such as tools, welders, pipe, and tool trailers. We currently have ford 6.0 powerstrokes and Chevy 6.0 gas 1 tons. They are horrible on fuel/gas. I need some real world reviews on 2011/12/13 1 ton diesels or has trucks.
MOORETOYX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 45202
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOORETOYX4 View Post
Our shop has decided to get us a couple new work trucks. They will be used for our welding rigs but also need to be able to haul heavy loads such as tools, welders, pipe, and tool trailers. We currently have ford 6.0 powerstrokes and Chevy 6.0 gas 1 tons. They are horrible on fuel/gas. I need some real world reviews on 2011/12/13 1 ton diesels or has trucks.
Yeah, good luck with that No fuckin way you will get a straight answer on this. You will get anything from 10-30 from some tards. Fuel mileage is one of the dumbest subjects discussed on the web. Way too many idiots full of shit.

My father inlaw says his 2012 cuminns dually with a 6 speed manual says hes getting no better than 13 and I know a guy with the exact same truck with an auto and says hes averaging 19 all the time. So what does that tell ya?

Last edited by rockbuggy84; 03-25-2013 at 11:03 AM.
rockbuggy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 112499

Ya I figured as much, thought I might give it a shot though.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 112499

Probably just go to some dealerships and give them the pamphlets.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 45202
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOORETOYX4 View Post
Probably just go to some dealerships and give them the pamphlets.
I personally would avoid anything with urea and if you want mileage, the smog shit has to go.
rockbuggy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 112499

This is just to appease the suits in the office, I could care less about it but they told us to get them some info on new work trucks since they all drive avalanches and escalades.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 126765

The best way to handle this is go test drive some new trucks and find out which you like best and which one has the numbers that YOU like best. They will all get less fuel mileage than any end consumer will tell you, and I'd bet they all get similar fuel mileage numbers. They probably all cost fairly similar when its all said and done. So go pick out what you want then come back and sell it to the suits and ties! Lol simple!
It sounds like money isn't a problem, and I don't think 1 mpg difference is gonna break them. The gained productivity of employees comfort is worth more than 1 mpg. We have ergonomic expert where I work and yea that sounds a bit overkill, but for the repetitive jobs people do there, their research and reconfiguration of the jobs has cut down on workers comp payouts and missed work days/hrs and increased employee attitude to the point that it has saved the company boat loads of money. It is a factory with hundreds of line workers, yes a much different atmosphere than your work, but it sounds like you probably work hard and one truck being uncomfortable wouldn't help your day or productivity any at all, but one that is comfortable would help you out!

Just my two cents!
BigBlue12V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 126765

Oh and to add to that, I agree with the above statement to stay away from the EGR crap, but since that's not an option realistically, its probably best to research which brands have the most expensive up keep and most down time. Some brands are a nightmare and some aren't so bad.

I will throw this out there, the 2014 Ram diesel will be released this summer, as the 2013 diesel is a half model year. The 2014 makes more power and should have an improved EGR system. Cummins spends a lot of money researching the best happy middle ground to please the EPA and still be somewhat acceptable to the end consumer. I know it never seems like that is true but its a very tricky game to play with EPA.

Or convince the company to let you build a truck starting with an older model as a base and customize it how you like! Guessing that would be a no-go...
BigBlue12V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 69913
Real world, our '09 CCLB 4x4 auto 6.4 with combo driving but prolly 65-70% local highway, gets 14.5-15 empty with the wife driving and 13.5-14 with me driving. We both run 75 + on the highway but I am a leadfoot and she isn't.

Towing. We have a 38' 5'ver, bunkhouse with 5.5K genny. Fully loaded it is about 15K but we normally do not load out so we are prolly around 13.5-14K on the road. I do most of the driving and push around 70 on the road but sometimes get it up to 80. loaded with good road and no headwind and have pulled 11, with hills and some common headwind I ran 9-10 and one run bucking 40mph headwind and a lot of hills we were down to 6.5 for our worst tank ever. Trailer has a lot of face area and wind kills me!

Take it for what its worth.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 99303
Hammers this year rode down in a '12 dodge 4wd, crew cab, shortbed with a 30' bumper pull toyhauler and seemed to avg 10-12 doing 60-65.

Rode home in a 12 ford 4wd, crew cab, short bed, pulling a flatbed gooseneck with two built LJ's on it. Heavy duty ag trailer prob weighed 7k. The for was posting 8-10 avg but the tires were slightly smaller than stock.

End of the day both seemed real similar. Ford was loaded heavier and much dirtier aerodynamically.

Hope it helps a little.
rrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 855
MPG is really about the driver. I used to DD my 06 Dodge 4x4 ccsb w/ Cummins, auto, 4.10s, and 35s. I would only average 13-14, my wife would get 16-17. I stopped driving it everyday for more than a year and have recently been DD again. I wanted to see just how good of mileage i could get and now i average 17-18 with a very light foot. I would see which truck i liked the interior in because you will be spending alot of time in it and then go for mileage.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 48084
I've been watching the Duramax forums and can't get a straight answer on the 11+ trucks. Some guys say just under 20 with all the emissions in place, completely stock. Other guys say barely over 10. Well, duh, that's what all diesels get.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 52788
Quote:
Originally Posted by knaffie View Post
I've been watching the Duramax forums and can't get a straight answer on the 11+ trucks. Some guys say just under 20 with all the emissions in place, completely stock. Other guys say barely over 10. Well, duh, that's what all diesels get.
Depends on how and where you drive.

My average for my 2011 Duramax is 17.00MPG from 34,964 to 57,587 with a mix of city and highway. The best tank MPG I got was 19.1.
Jwlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 67935
the rigs that we get at work )gm dealership) are anywhere from 8-20 (depending on year and upfit ect) the two closest we have are 08 and 09 trucks (flatbed 4x4 std cab 12 foot bed red face pipeliners cranes the works and the 6.0 gas and 6.6 are just barely different in fuel consumption and suprisingly the 6.0 isnt a dog

but the brand new service box 6.6's are getting around 15-10 depending on highway drive
Old 03-25-2013, 07:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 10867
Around the shop of hotshots, we are probably about the most honest about our MPGs, especially since we are all looking for that edge for higher profit margins. From what I gather, the New Fords are not living up to the incredible mpg gains, yet they are finally turning in respectable numbers. They are pulling down 13 mpg with a 8.5x24 Haulmark. The Dodges are all over the chart, depending on the emissions year. I pull down 13 with the same trailer, but the older ones can get 14. The Chevys are coming up in the rear, at 11 mpg.

Basically all three are within 2 mpg.

As said before the 2014 Dodges are stepping up the game with drive line disconnect systems and urea injection, combined are supposed to increase fuel economy by 3-5 mpg. If this holds true, I know a bunch of guys who are going to jump ship on brand loyalty this fall.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 162087

This might be silly.... But have ya checked out the Sprinter vans? They claim 18+mpg and can have any type of box/bed you want. And they're cheaper than the big 3 one ton pickups.
jeepin4x4james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 19298
Send a message via AIM to whitefish Send a message via MSN to whitefish Send a message via Yahoo to whitefish
From varying drivers and loads, but fuelly is pretty good about seeing "real-world" mileages:
Dodge Ram 3500 MPG Reports | Fuelly
Ford F-350 Super Duty MPG Reports | Fuelly
Chevrolet Silverado 3500 HD MPG Reports | Fuelly
whitefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
I break things

Member # 64213
Re: best fuel mileage 1 ton work truck

Look hard at the dodges.

I currently own a 2001 Ford diesel but if i was going to buy a new truck it would be a dodge.

Sure, the Ford has nicer interior but that engine is unproven and shoe horned in the truck vs the dodge. You can also get the manual in the dodge.
89breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:31 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 20093
Try fuelly.com, it has most any vehicle on the road listed and is updated alot by users with real world mileage numbers. I find it pretty accurate and has helped me researching cars to buy.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:52 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 162643
Anything you get won't be getting anywhere close to the posted mpg with what you are hauling around. I have been seeing some fleets starting the switch back to gas rigs because of the higher cost of diesel fuel, higher cost for the diesel engine option, higher cost of diesel truck maintenance/repairs, and the fact that diesels versus gas mpg's are quite a bit closer on todays trucks than they used to be. These newer diesels seem to take a bit more maintenance and repairs too than the older ones and parts/labor cost more. Be very careful if you do any emission system mods/deletes, it is very expensive to get caught and the authorities are looking and not just at a state level. I don't know how many miles a month you are putting on your rig and how long you plan on keeping it but it takes quite a bit of time and miles to make the diesel worthwhile.
shortbus4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:13 AM   #21 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by trkklr77 View Post
89?-97 ford 7.3 power s
89-93 dodge

or get the fuck out.
How is ^^ that even remotely helpful or germaine to the OP's question?

I'm sure his company is looking to find clapped out POS old trucks, because that really helps the business.

As others have said, mileage is all over the place depending on what configuration and how the truck is set up. I agree that you should sit in/drive them and find out which is most comfortable and which ones work the best when the numbers shake out.

Jack
locrwln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:19 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 14143
Send a message via AIM to Airpup26
Quote:
1 you can buy them pristine trucks in those gensfor uner 12k.

2 both will get subtanchily[sp] better millage than a newertruck of any make.

3 they will not have the bullsit problems of modern trucks.

they are tried and ture time proven rigs. that will get the work done, pull the good mpg, and last.

no they arent as comfy as a new truck or dont have the great a/c, fancy stereos and 10,000 whistles that a newer truck will.
1. It's called spell check, all computers/phones have it. Learn it, love it, report back.

2. No one want to drive old junk when the company is paying for it. Not even a option.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:28 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
1 you can buy them pristine trucks in those gensfor uner 12k.

2 both will get subtanchily[sp] better millage than a newertruck of any make.

3 they will not have the bullsit problems of modern trucks.

they are tried and ture time proven rigs. that will get the work done, pull the good mpg, and last.

no they arent as comfy as a new truck or dont have the great a/c, fancy stereos and 10,000 whistles that a newer truck will.
not exactly great from the depreciation standpoint.

I also wonder what insurance would be on those in a commercial environment, what with no airbags, no ABS or any other modern safety features.

I know you're a real man and all and not having decent AC/heat and sound deadening doesn't bother you, but if I were working in a truck all fucking day I'd be mighty salty at the company for making me ride around in a 12v noisy ass uncomfortable truck.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:25 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 44979
There's no such thing as good gas milage in a company truck.
The drivers not buying the fuel so they get driven around with the right foot on the floor.
It's going to be shitty no matter what you get.
bassdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:30 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 44979
Quote:
id bet a blue star that insurance on a $12k 20 year old truck is ridiculously cheaper than on your $40k+ new plastic wagon.

Well, speaking from experiance, when I traded my 2000 7.3 250 for an 11 6.7 350, my insurance went down $20 a month.
bassdude is offline   Reply With Quote