Pirate 4x4 banner

Biggest Tires on 2500HD?

25K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Tuite 
#1 ·
Time for new tires. Something not too loud, decent "off road" and good in the winter. Price is not a factor!

I was thinking about MT/R's, but they seem a bit on the loud side. Same thing with BFG MT's. I'm leaning towards AT KO's. I realize there's an existing thread about truck tires, but I'd like any experiences with these three (or similar) tires relayed in this thread. I plan on towing a camper or 10,000 pound trailer maybe a few times a year (4 max?) so having an E-rated tire isn't a requirement (I'll go slower if I have to)

The other question I have, is what is the biggest tire you can stuff into a 2500HD fender, with NO lift (or possible lift in the future and NO cranking the torsion bars!!) No rubbing, no scuffing and no adjusting bump or turn stops. They have to fit and I have NO desire to modify the truck's suspension!!

Thanks for your help, Chad.

#2 · (Edited)
I've got 255-85-16's (33x10.5) BFG-MT/KM's on my 2000 GMC 2500HD, stock rims....extremely minor rub on hard lock, barely noticable. I did adjust the front torseins slightly to level the truck.

Fixed the typo - thanks TEX

#4 ·
With no turns on the torsion bars on stock wheels 265/75/16 are a big a you can fit with our rubbing.

A few turns on the torsion bars and stock wheels 285/75/16 are as big as you can fit. You will still have to trim the front platic air dam at the wheel well.

On 8" wheels you can squeeze 305/75/16 in with 10 turns on the torsion bars and some minor inner fender trimming.

I like the 285/75/10 and 8" wheel combo. My first set of 285s did not wear well on the factory wheels (too narrow). The 305s where a little bit too big and noisy and rubber quite a bit. So far the best combo has been the 285 KO on the 8" wheel.

By the way I would recomend running the torsion bars up a bit as well. I would have the truck aligned regardless of what you do. I have yet to see a Chevy come off the line with perfect alignment. Make sure you find a good shop who can align more than the toe!

HIH

#6 ·
My dad just put 265/75R16's on his '02 2500HD and that was the biggest he could fit without any mods. A friend at work put 285/75's on 16x8 wheels on his '02 and it required a few turns of the t-bar to fit.......he might have also gotten away with some slight trimming on the front plastic air dam.

Can't wait until the 245/75 street tires on my '03 wear out so I can put some real tires under it!

#7 ·
I considered cranking up the torsion bars and running 285's. A lot of people are, and they claim everything is fine. But trimming the front air dam (that is required) wasn't an option for me 'cause I use the winter front. I stuck with 265/75's. They fit the stock rims okay.

--Rob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.