Pirate 4x4 banner

EcoBoost for replacing '03 F-250 PSD?

7K views 62 replies 33 participants last post by  ScoutIITD 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm thinking of consolidating the fleet.

Edit: this got long...cliffs.

Replace 03 F-250 7.3 tow rig and '11 JKU daily drive with Ecoboost F-150 to do both? What does pirate say?

Currently have an 03 CCSB 7.3 (yes, it's the 7.3) Superduty as the tow rig and occasional hauler. Truck has about 130K on it. Daily driver is a completely stock 2011 JKU Rubi.

The Superduty serves me very well, has plenty of power and fits everything I need to...but spends most of it's time parked in the garage. It's also getting to the point of needing the normal refreshing - rust popping through on the bed & rusty rear brake lines.

I'm considering selling both the JK and Superduty and replacing with a F-150 Ecoboost to use as both my daily driver and tow rig.

I tow a ~5000 lb built YJ on a 2000lb car hauler, local 1-2 hour trips about once a month and then one longer (OH to UT) trip a year. Occasionally haul a load of fertilizer, seed or gravel about 6 times a year. (2000 - 3000 lbs).

In looking into the ecoboost, everyone seems to be very impressed by towing and it definitely would be more suitable as a DD. Figure the mileage will be about the same as the JK. It will cut the double insurance, maintenance and storage space.

I know everybody has their opinion...and I've ran across quite a few that have made the change from a 10 year of 3/4 ton to a newer 1/2 ton and been happy.

Looking at the Specs, a properly set up F-150 can town 11,300 and haul 2600 lbs. My F-250 is rated for 12,500 and 1800 lbs. I'm sure the 250 has more reserve and beef, yet I rarely push it to its limits.

If you've made the switch...how is it working out? What will I miss about the Superduty? What will I be happy about replacing it? Am I crazy?

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a 2003 7.3 and my dad has a 2014 ecoboost. His drives nicer, is faster, gets comparable mileage and will tow sub 5,000lbs in a more enjoyable fashon. Over 5000lbs is where everything starts to shift. You would destroy a eco boost towing at "max" capacity regularly, the 7.3 would tow 10,000 lbs every day of its life without flinching.

I know none of that really answered your questions but that's my experience. I've also considered doing what your talking about.

#5 ·
I had a 2000 cclb super duty with the 7.3 and switched to a 2013 f150 supercrew with 6.5' bed and ecoboost, I don't miss the superduty at all.

Mine has the max tow package with 3.73 gears, I don't think I'd be as happy if it had one of the other choices, I tend to think the 3.55s would be OK and would probably help fuel mileage when not towing a touch.

My fuel economy is just under 17 mpg, I run 20 miles each way on the highway at 80 mph every day along with a few miles of city type driving, if I set the cruise at 70 I see an increase in economy quickly but I can't stand getting passed by the whole world every morning so I rarely drive that slow.

Towing a 4000# plus bronco on a 2900# trailer I got as low as 7.5mpg(running late so was cruising at 80mph plus) and as high as 11mpg(cruise set at 65 in the slow lane).

I wouldn't pick the ecoboost if I was towing heavy every day but for my needs it has been perfect.

#7 ·
Honestly, are you just looking for an excuse to get a new truck?
I'm not denying there is some new truck envy.

I DD the F-250 for 8 years. No question that it can be done. It also requires some extra effort and planning.

I'm more interested in how the F-150 would suit my needs as an occasional tow/haul vehicle. I know it will be a more comfortable and convenient daily driver, and the mileage will be the same as the JK is.

I've been going through the specs and it surprises me how the newer F150 specs are very comparable to the older F250 SD.

#8 ·
If you're looking for an occasional tow rig for your Jeep as you say you are, the Ecoboost will be perfect. I sold an 02 F350 SRW 7.3 truck and got my '14 Ecoboost. I haven't missed the F350 once for towing my Jeeps.

I just got back from Durhamtown Tellico, and the Ecoboost went as fast as I wanted it to go up any hill or mountain.

I got just over 10 mpg for the round trip, which was about 13 hours worth of driving time.

The F150 is miles ahead of the older F250/F350 trucks in every way. Go for it.

#9 ·
I have a 2014 Ecoboost with 3.55 gears, my dad has one with the 3.31's and my cousin has the max tow package with 3.73. If you're replacing a PSD and planning longer trips that are going to involve a 7K trailer and any elevation change don't even consider anything but the 3.73's.

Based on my experience you won't notice any difference in unladen fuel economy between the two deeper gear sets, but the 3.73's drop gears way less.

The heaviest load I have had on mine is a 29' Wellcraft TE on a triple axle, best guestimated weight is in the 9k range with shit tons of wind drag, I locked out 6th and let it spin in 5th @ 60mph from Port Aransas to San Antonio. The power was no issue at all, but the pin weight made for some slow motion white knuckle moments. I think if you make the switch suspension squirm will be your biggest change over a 3/4 chassis.

With all that said I have gone on record stating that I wish I would have taken the cash I spent bumping up to the King Ranch trim and gone with a well equipped XLT PSD for 10% more on the purchase price.

#11 ·
Also depends on how long you commute is. I use to have a '05 f150 I used for DD/Tow Rig. But my commute is 50 miles plus a day. I was literally going to use the truck up in mileage over time. So I sold it and bought a '01 F250 V10 and put cash in my pocket. Now I just drive it on weekends and towing. Bought a Focus ST for DD duty that gets way better mileage, plus the fun factor :grinpimp:

#60 ·
This.

Have a 3/4ton+ around when you need it, small car when you don't. That's what I've been doing for the past few years and IMHO it's the best answer. I've got a crap bag jetta tdi for commuting and towing small trailers, and a 6.0 2500 for bad weather/woods/towing/plowing/etc. I literally get 4 times the mileage DD'ing the tdi vs the truck (58 vs. 14) and I can buy a set of tires for the price of one 285/75r16e.

#12 ·
The F150 will suit your needs, but if you want longevity, you'll need to upgrade a few parts, as its sounds like to do tow a fair bit, so things like rear airbags and higher load range tires are a must (gets rid of the squirm and saves the leaf's from sagging out), and upgrade the rotors and pads to better parts when the time comes to replace them.

I had an 08' with the 5.4, engine/tranny aside, the suspension/chassis design is very similar between these trucks, and what I posted above is what I found to be the weak points when towing a fair bit with these trucks. I've also seen this the same from a few newer trucks as well.

#13 ·
My commute is 30 miles a day. After reading up quite a bit, I think the eco will handle my towing needs fine. It really comes down to the day to day driving. I've also decided that I'm waiting until the 2016 f-150's come out to check them out. Seems like a few convenience upgrades that are worth checking out. Oh...and I just replaced the rusty rear brake hard line on my F-250 tonight.

#14 ·
You used to be able to buy a truck and spend some coin on upgrades and keep it for ten or twenty years. The new shit isn't like that. Your truck is the tail end of that era. You could keep it for another decade. Buy an ecoboost and my guess is you'll be moving on in a few years...
I'm kind of in the same boat. Bulletproofed 6.0 excursion. I love it. It's great. But sometimes it would be nice to fit into parallel parking spaces, or be able to make a u turn, or fit in a parking garage, or whatever. Rides rough too.
A new half ton crew cab or even an expedition with an ecoboost would tow what I need to tow for the most part and be new with a power train warranty and have better suspension and brakes. But I just can't bring myself to make a payment on something that I seriously doubt will be worth keeping after its paid off.
And when it comes down to it, my excursion is holding its value like a champ, and they won't ever make anything like it again. My kids could drive it one day, if the powerstroke holds up (and if it doesn't, a Cummins swaps in).

My kids won't be driving an ecoboost and no one will be swapping in a Cummins to keep an f150 around.

#16 ·
What is the advantage over the V8 5.0L with the Ecoboost?
I work with a customer who has a fleet of ~200 F150 Ecoboost and 5.0L's. They have switched back to the 5.0L because the Ecoboost just doesn't perform that much better, and is less reliable. They were averaging 17 mpg on the ecoboost, and 16 on the 5.0L.
They run the trucks to 170-200k miles, the majority of the ecoboosts had one of the turbos replaced by that time.

It seems like the mileage numbers are right inline with the 5.0L, plus the 5.0 tows a bit better.

#17 ·
5.0L V8 302cid
360 HP @ 5,000
380 TQ @ 4,200
-------------------------
3.5L V6 213 cid
365 HP @ 5,000
420 TQ @2,500

With the Max Tow and 3.73s, the Eco pulls and hauls great

#20 ·
Subscribing and maybe hijacking/sidtracking :D I'm considering swapping my '08 V10 F250 for an F150 EcoBoost...

D45 - what kind of actual mileage are you seeing with the 3.73's and leveling kit? What do you tow regularly, shape and weight?

#22 ·
If you don't like driving the F250 due to size, I don't think the F150 is going to help at all, these are the most accurate numbers I could find:

2003 F250 Crew Cab 6'4" Bed
Wheelbase: 156.2"
Length: 245.8"
Width: 79.9" (Not including Mirros)
Height: 79.8" (4x4)

2015 F150 Crew Cab 6'5" Bed
Wheelbase: 156.8"
Length: 243.7"
Width: 79.9" (Not Including Mirrors)
Height: 77.3" (4x4)

As you can see, there is almost nothing between them. However, the F150 will be a nicer truck, it will ride better. If you want a new truck, get it. That's the only way you will be happy. I think it will be fine towing the 7000lbs occasionally, I would do bags and better tires though. If you just don't like the size of the 250, that might not help.

#34 ·
My rental was a 2013 and was a 2wd. I dunno if they are smaller. It sure felt narrower than my excursion.

I was surprised by those stats. I can drop a sheet of plywood in the back of my excursion and that's with rear ac and a spare tire and the quarter windows and all that on either side. I hauled some building materials in he rental truck (I beat that thing like... Well...Iike a rented mule, I was gonna say) and plywood just barely dropped down in there and it had nothing on either side but the bed sides.

#23 ·
I realize these 1/2 ton trucks have the power and the brakes to move and stop the loads, however since they are lighter than a 1 ton how does it feel when towing? Does the load push the truck around a bit?

That's the biggest difference I feel when towing with my F350, feels more stable. I attribute that to the 7500lbs she weighs? Am I wrong here?

#24 ·
Maybe. I'm betting a large factor is load range e tires that squirm a lot less under load and the stiffer spring package on a greater than half ton. And those are the two factors that make them punch your kidneys as an unloaded daily driver... So it's a mixed bag.

#26 ·
tobyw:33492657 said:
Subscribing and maybe hijacking/sidtracking :D I'm considering swapping my '08 V10 F250 for an F150 EcoBoost...

D45 - what kind of actual mileage are you seeing with the 3.73's and leveling kit? What do you tow regularly, shape and weight?
I have a front leveling kit and also 2" taller rear blocks..... So more like a 2" lift with 34x11" tires

I have only put 1000 miles on it so far....... 15.5 mpg all day long city

I just made two trips with 1500 pounds in the bed each trip. It was sagging but the stability and power was great, very impressive

The ride and all the creature comforts make me love the truck......even for a half ton gasser

#27 ·
Ive been reading this thread closely and am in the similar situation as the OP, I walked the new lot yesterday and got scared off by sticker prices. So I have been searching Carmax.com...

Im gonna look into a 12'-14' ecoboost 4x4. does anyone know how to tell if it has the Maxtow package? carmax just describes it has Tow hitch....

#28 ·
11-14 max tow package will have the tow mirrors and at least 3.73 gears. 4.10's were available for those, but I actually never came across one in the flesh or in my online hunting. There was also a max payload package that came with 7 lug wheels which obviously increased your payload, I read it had a slightly thicker frame???
11-12 FX4's will also always have 3.73's, when you get to 13-14 they became more common with 3.55's.

If shopping for an 11-14, if you find a 3.73 truck or even 4.10 truck and it is not a max tow but does have the tow package, the differences are steering box ratio, rating on trailer hitch, radiator, mirrors, and the payload sticker. You can easily change the hitch, and the mirrors. Factory brake controller can also be easily added. Just food for thought.

15's the max tow package doesn't get you the tow mirrors, you can get them separate. The max tow package has 3.55 gears, and if you opt for the max payload package you can get the steepest gear set which is 3.73. Gotta get chrome to get the max payload package, it is not available in the sport for some reason.

#29 ·
The integrated brake controller is also very nice, and very effective

The back up camera on the large touchscreen is fantastic

Ford got this truck right

Mine stickered for $51,000

#30 ·
Yeah we looked into one with an eye towards replacing wife's car. 46k was what the dealer wanted for the cloth interior, chrome wheel, 4wd crew cab ecoboost we looked at.

And someone should cross reference this discussion into the recent "why are ten year old diesel trucks still bringing crack pipe prices" thread.

#31 · (Edited)
As far as OP, you clearly don't need a power joke 3/4 ton if you're second guessing keeping it.

Buy the "truck" every dick head in a neighborhood has. They were allowed to buy a new f150 so they feel manly, yet have all the pussified creatures comforts for their ball and chain decision maker.

While you're at it. Make sure you buy one with blind spot aware since you've given up on driving. Only $700 a tail light. But that'll be less than your 72 month note.

Yes, I've drove and rode in them. Fucking hate them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.