gooseneck dimensions - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2004, 06:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 15945
gooseneck dimensions

I am building a 28 foot gooseneck trailer and I need some input on the
''neck". How much clearance should I have between the top of the tailgate and the bottom of the neck. I want to keep it low as possible yet not worry about it hitting. Also should I make enough clearance to hitch and or tow with my tailgate down or keep the neck short ? The trailer frame is 8" I beam and I am using two torque flex axles 7k rated.
weedwacker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2004, 06:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6704
Mine has about 12" clearance between the top of the bed rails and the bottom of the trailer neck. You want to leave enough clearance to be able to hitch-up with the tailgate down, but I wouldn't design it to be able to tow with the gate down. When I back under my neck to hitch up, there is only a few inches between the back edge of the tailgate when it's down and the trailer. In order to be able to tow with the gate down, I'd have to lengthen the neck about 18"-24" to clear the tail gate in the down position while turning. It would be easier to just remove the tailgate if you didn't want to tow with it up.

Oh, BTW, do mean it's going to be a 28' overall trailer or a 28' deck?
KC0UIC
-.- -.-. ----- ..- .. -.-.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Last edited by Mechanos; 10-17-2004 at 06:53 PM.
Mechanos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2004, 07:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 15945
Thanks for the reply. Do you think you could get away with less at the top of tailgate/rails. I drive a 01 2500 ram 4x4 that is really tall at the rear.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6704
Yes, I know what you mean about the height.... My truck is also an '01 2500 4x4 CTD. But that doesn't really matter. If you're fabbing this thing to whatever truck you drive, you need to set the clearance at whatever you want above the rails. I like mine where it is because I don't have to worry much at all about the neck contacting the bed while traversing uneven terrain, etc.

KC0UIC
-.- -.-. ----- ..- .. -.-.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Mechanos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2004, 08:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 324
I had a travel trailer that had about 6 inches clearance and it wasnt enough. I never hit at the rear but on the sides of the bed. All the factory built goosenecks i have pulled had enough room to leave the tail gate down. If you build the gooseneck short you will be limited to what can pull it, example is i pulled with a F350 pickup and then got a F450 with a 12ft flatbed and if the trailer would have had a short gooseneck i wouldnt have been able to pull it because there wasnt enough room to turn. You never know who you might sell it to someday ?
Old 10-18-2004, 02:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 15945
I keep telling myself this is the last trailer I will ever need . It would be might be wise to make it fit longer trucks. I wonder if the new 4x4 dodges are higher than the 02 and older trucks? It feels like it is a mile up when I am trying to load something heavy in my 01.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 8783
over 8" of bed to neck clearence is good.
i squeeze by at 6" with my truck, but i have side tool boxes the trailer just BARELY clears
Old 10-20-2004, 12:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Apprentice Poseur

Member # 30778
Send a message via AIM to n9emz
Recently, I was trying to buy an abandoned gooseneck trailer with the intention of modifying it to haul a couple of Bronco II trailrigs. The deal fell through but I did manage to take some photos and measurements in case I had to resort to building one myself. I don't know if it will be of any help but here's a dimensions and materials list for the neck/tongue portion of the trailer:

Gooseneck Structural Information

This trailer was perfectly suited for my 1995 F-250 longbed as it was and gave me about 14" of clearance above the bedrails. I also have additional photos of the trailer itself and will be happy to put them up on my ftp site if requested.

Good luck and regards,

Sam
Old 10-20-2004, 06:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 15945
Thanks for the info. I will start on the neck this weekend. I plan on making long enough to operate with tailgate down (my truck is short bed) 8 inch over the rail with the trailer bed level. I can fine tune the distance over the bed rails by extending the coupler hitch I purchased. As the bed drops from weight of the trailer clearance should increase. I'll post some pictures and measurements when done.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 23853
Send a message via AIM to DarkEternal Send a message via Skype™ to DarkEternal
Off topic but is it feasable to make a gooseneck to pull behind a 10" lifted duramax truck?
DarkEternal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.