Are you serious - these adapta balls can't be safe - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2004, 01:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 29634
Are you serious - these adapta balls can't be safe

I lost the pin out of my adaptaball so i went to buy a new set at homedepot. I found this new fancy setup at reese that has a quickrelease knob on top of the shank stud. It has four little balls that are forced into a grove on the inside of the ball to lock. I couldn't believe it, i didn't buy it. That design can't be safe for real work. The ball spins around in circles on the balls on the stud shank. So I doubt the tounge even turns on the ball but on the little balls instead. They are going to wear out and someone is going to die. So then i stoped at an autoparts store and found a cheaper brand, I think it was colt manufacturing. It only had one steel ball to hold the ball on! This design didn't allow the ball to spin but it still sucks! What do you guys think?
Old 10-30-2004, 04:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 1129
definately sounds sketchy.

I have the pin style. I love it.

I use all sizes, but still wouldnt haul a real heavy trailer with it...

Hashtags are for fags
Benny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2004, 05:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 31529
Exclamation cheep balls

just ask your self one queston:

how important is it keeping the trailer hooked up to the truck???
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2004, 09:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 14196
Send a message via AIM to wes8517 Send a message via MSN to wes8517 Send a message via Yahoo to wes8517
i would never use any of them, even the pin style. i just bought a reciever with the 3 different balls i use on three sides, then i have the regular style for all my pin style trailers out at the farm, i know my ball one weighs a ton, but i trust my life with it

wes
Old 10-31-2004, 07:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 29634
Well I have load levelers on a few trailers that have different size hitches so the tri ball hitch won't work for me. And the way my load leveler hitch is made its a pain to swap a traditional ball. I don't believe in lawsuits normally but I wanna see some shit hit the fan. How do these get SAE approved.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 33381
I saw this also as i was trying to set my hitch up for at least 10K lbs but i have a 2in ball. I had the hardest time finding a 2in ball that was rated for 10k, and ended up going with an 8k one. But as i was looking i saw these quick disconnect balls like you were talking about and they're rated at 10k, i don't believe it a solid steel ball is only rated for 6k and then this mickey mouse adjustable thing is 10k. Neddless to say i wasn't putting one of those anywhere near my hitch. they just look dangerous.
EastCoastGearSupply.com
919-672-2705
cperry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2004, 07:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 25999
Send a message via AIM to CanuckJeeper Send a message via Yahoo to CanuckJeeper
This is what I use on with my F250, with a 32-ft flatbed bumper pull, 2 Jeeps on it:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...ategoryId=7385

I know it's not rated 10k on the 2", but I use the 2 5/16" for my application. Works great.

JP
CanuckJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2004, 03:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 26797
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckJeeper
This is what I use on with my F250, with a 32-ft flatbed bumper pull, 2 Jeeps on it:

I know it's not rated 10k on the 2", but I use the 2 5/16" for my application. Works great.

JP

Me too
Old 11-01-2004, 03:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 26797
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckJeeper

JP

Me too
Old 11-02-2004, 06:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 8421
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsub
I lost the pin out of my adaptaball so i went to buy a new set at homedepot. I found this new fancy setup at reese that has a quickrelease knob on top of the shank stud. It has four little balls that are forced into a grove on the inside of the ball to lock. I couldn't believe it, i didn't buy it. That design can't be safe for real work. What do you guys think?
It DOES suck. I had an adjustable ball similar to this when I first got a trailer because I didn't know any better. It had a quarter-turn screw on top of the stud. I towed a C-20 home and when I went to disconnect the trailer from the truck, the ball stayed in the coupler! I was like "Holy crap, lucky I had enough tongue weight that the trailer didn't lift off." I thought I must have forgotten to tighten the quarter-turn screw.

The next trip I made sure to tighten that screw, and I was towing an empty trailer. I hit a bump going thru an intersection and the ball came off, detaching the trailer! I slowed down and the trailer slammed into my back bumper twice before stopping. Thank goodness for the safety chains keeping the trailer attached. I promptly removed that ball setup, and have been using the pin-style on several different trucks with no problems in the 4 years since then.

I still have that ball in the barn - I'll take a pic if anyone wants to see it...
thecarman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2004, 11:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 29634
Anyone got emails for the execs of these companies?
Old 11-03-2004, 06:46 AM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 18283
the ones with a pin through the side of the ball have been recalled due to the pin sheering off during use

the replacement are the ones with the quarter turn screw on the top and 2 small ball bearings coming out the side.

There are quite a few recalls for these things
Quote:
Reese Products, Inc.

Models: Reese Trailer Hitch

Number Involved: 66,836

Dates of Manufacture: February - October 2000

Defect: Interchangeable Hitch Balls, Kit Part Numbers #57000, #57001, and #57002, which are affixed to a mounting post on a tow vehicle with a vertically aligned plunger applied through the top center of the hitch ball, can work loose. This would allow the hitch ball, and the trailer that is coupled to the ball, to disconnect from the towing vehicle, possibly causing a vehicle crash.

Remedy: Reese will provide a replacement kit to its customers free of charge. The manufacturer has reported that owner notification will begin during March 2001. Owners who do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Reese at 1-800-326-1090.

[NHTSA Recall No. 01E006]
source

Check to see if you're using one of these
Old 11-03-2004, 05:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4387
I just have two hitches, one with a 2" and one thats 2 5/16". Slide in/slide out, no fawking pin to fall out .
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2004, 08:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 29634
Oh come on. The pin thru balls have to be much safer then the the quarter turn screw top ones. I swear they let anyone be engineers these days.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:41 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 29634
Went to autozone today. They had some made by masterlock(the padlock company) They looked much beefier, even stronger then the pin ones. And theres no pins to loose. However it still might bounce off on a rough road w/no trailer attached.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:29 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 10429
Haven't had any problems with the Reese one I bought a few months ago...

"It had a quarter-turn screw on top of the stud. I towed a C-20 home and when I went to disconnect the trailer from the truck, the ball stayed in the coupler! I was like "Holy crap, lucky I had enough tongue weight that the trailer didn't lift off." "

There's no way for the 1/4 turn pin to come up while the trailer tongue is on it.. The tongue would have to lift completely off the ball for the pin to extend and thereby realease the actual ball. We tried to make it disconnect and it wouldn't.

Maybe something has changed since you bought yours, since mine is just a few months old, but I love it.. and I *like* having the trailer free to rotate through corners on ball bearings.

I need a 6" drop - no way those 3-sided ball things will work for me

Last edited by Eskimo; 11-06-2004 at 09:30 PM.
Eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2004, 04:40 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 29634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo
Haven't had any problems with the Reese one I bought a few months ago...

"It had a quarter-turn screw on top of the stud. I towed a C-20 home and when I went to disconnect the trailer from the truck, the ball stayed in the coupler! I was like "Holy crap, lucky I had enough tongue weight that the trailer didn't lift off." "

There's no way for the 1/4 turn pin to come up while the trailer tongue is on it.. The tongue would have to lift completely off the ball for the pin to extend and thereby realease the actual ball. We tried to make it disconnect and it wouldn't.

Maybe something has changed since you bought yours, since mine is just a few months old, but I love it.. and I *like* having the trailer free to rotate through corners on ball bearings.

I need a 6" drop - no way those 3-sided ball things will work for me

Well if reese took the liberty to decide that no trailer hitch/towing setup needs the top part of the ball to rest on then maybe some hitch manufacturer took the liberty to not put the close tolerance in their hitch on the top which holds the quarter turn screw in. Possibly.

But more importantly I'm not an engineer but i thought bearings were supposed to have a race and I think those are better called bb's.

Last edited by bigsub; 11-07-2004 at 05:23 PM.
bigsub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.