Flat tow tailights - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2004, 10:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 7162
Flat tow tailights

A few years ago I wired up the tailights in a YJ I had with some diodes to a connector on the front bumber so when I flat towed all I would have to do is plug in a cable from the MH to the YJ and the jeeps tailights worked. Supposedly the diodes blocked the current from backfeeding to the computer, etc. A friend asked me how I did it and I lost the wiring diagram I had. I think I just used 3 diodes from Radio Shack on the rear left-turn, right-turn and tail wires to the rear. Has anyone done this before? Do you have a copy of the wiring diagram? I thought I got it from here but couldn't find it in a search. I trying to remember... I'm thinking you cut the wire from the jeep, put in the blocking diode and splice the tailight wire and tow vehicle wire together... What's the polarity of the diodes? need a diagram.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 4985
I went to my local RV dealerships parts dept, they sell diode kits with instructions to do this, I think it was about $20 for the kit. Radio shack diodes would be cheaper, but no diagram.
iroc-cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2004, 11:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 7162
I figured it out. Three $.50 diodes and point the arrow towards the tail lights. Works great, about .4 volt drop. The brake, turnsignal and tail lights work fine. The only challenge was the screwy color code the TJ's use going towards the rear lights. Brn/Yel = tail, Grn/Red = left turn, Blk = Grd.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Big Meanie

Member # 5859
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1988YJ
I figured it out. Three $.50 diodes and point the arrow towards the tail lights. Works great, about .4 volt drop. The brake, turnsignal and tail lights work fine. The only challenge was the screwy color code the TJ's use going towards the rear lights. Brn/Yel = tail, Grn/Red = left turn, Blk = Grd.
Yes, the arrow points to the taillights. A decent sharp probe on the voltmeter makes finding that easy.

- The lush life-giving land, our personal responsibility.

Ventura County Axle Snappers - Nevada County Chapter
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.