Pirate 4x4 banner

Necessary Torqueshift Tranny Upgrades?

677 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  MountaineerMac 
#1 ·
Ok, so I'm going to be installing my new Edge Platinum and MBRP Exhaust this weekend - I can't wait. Truck is a 2004 F-350 SRW with the TorqueShift tranny, running BFG 315's. I pull a 30ft goose with a Jeep and a Cruiser a several times a month, and lots of hay during hay season. Should I consider an aftermarket tranny cooler? Deep tranny pan? I want the tranny to last, but don't want to just toss $$ out the window...Thanks for the advice.

#2 ·
the tranny cooler on that thing is bigger than a toyota radiator, i've never seen my trans temp break 190 (actual gauge) towing near 20k

the one thing i can say is don't use the edge, the edge is the worst thing you can do to that transmission. i ran one for 80k and my intermediate cluthes were smoked, my direct's were metal to metal, and my OD's were smoked. the edge doesn't do anything to teh tranny, just add's power that the tranny can't adjust for.

you should also know that that truck WILL puke coolant from the head gasket's with an edge. the cylender pressure get to great on hard pulls, and the truck pukes out the overflow bottle.

a programmer will have transmission files, to help the transmission handle the extra power, and improve the shifts, shift point's lockup point's etc.

i've been working with several diferent programmer's with the SCT Xcalibrator programmer. it's an amazing unit, and will make more safe, reliable power than the edge. SCT tunes are written to the individule truck, not a cookie cutter program, so they adjust for everything. safer EGT's safer cyl pressures etc...

with my high power file goint to SEMA weighing 17k towing an enclosed, i NEVER broke 1125 degrees, lugging on steep grades. and had more than enough power to just roll right up.

safe power!

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply! I have heard about the Edge and "puking" coolant from the heads - I'm hoping to not have any issues. I do have the new Platinum, so it does address the transmission, and the shifting. You can address % of defueling while shifting, and all kinds of other parameters. Apparently, it is alot safer for the tranny than the older Juice/Attitude was.

#4 ·
MountaineerMac said:
Thanks for the reply! I have heard about the Edge and "puking" coolant from the heads - I'm hoping to not have any issues. I do have the new Platinum, so it does address the transmission, and the shifting. You can address % of defueling while shifting, and all kinds of other parameters. Apparently, it is alot safer for the tranny than the older Juice/Attitude was.

it does teh same tranny mods as the evolution.... i'd be scared. i just got to buy a built torqueshift... it hurt really bad! i won't ever trust anything but an SCT again...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.