2000 Dodge Durango - Do I have a stock tranny cooler? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2006, 10:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
2000 Dodge Durango - Do I have a stock tranny cooler?

Ok, before I go tearing in to it, to figure out where lines are run (because it's really crammed in there)... Can anyone tell me if I have a stock tranny cooler. Here's the setup:

fan
Radiator (w/ tranny cooler hookup)
large radiator - same size as main radiator, 1 core(?) - A/C?
Rectangular cooler, about 6-8"x18-22" mounted behind the bumper
bumper

Does anyone know what that rectangular stock cooler is doing?

Like I said, for me to trace the lines will take me a while to first get to them, then attempt to chase them. I'm asking because after looking at what room I have left, I don't think I have anymore room between the last cooler and the grill to slip another tranny cooler in.
Travis Waldher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 07:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 31873
With out seeing it first hand your better off tracing the cooling line to see. My wife's 03 Durango has the one in the Rad but I went ahead and instlled another one on the outside on the Rad to be safe. I pull my 4Runner every now and then and Im guessing the runner and trailer is about 5500lbs.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 69347
95% of automatic cars have a trans cooler inside of the radiator, we usually bypass it when doing a trans rebuild because of contamination,

the smaller radiator type thing behind the radiator is the ac condensor, you should see ac lines pretty easily going to the compressor or evaporator or whatever, the smaller one behind that is a power steering cooler,

you can add another tran cooler inline with the old one in front of the radiator or just bypass the old one.

Brendan
sha_ba_do_bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 01:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 43636
You'd have to trace the lines to be sure. There's a splash guard under the front that uses those plastic trim retainers to hold in place. Remove that and you will see the tranny lines.

There isn't always a power steering cooler on the Durango. Our '01 R/T didn't have a power steering cooler or an external tranny cooler. It also did not come with the tow package, which may be why neither of them were included.

I installed a Hayes cooler in line after the stock inside-radiator cooler. So far it works great, and it only cost about $60.
TommyGp is offline   Reply With Quote