97' CC Dually Chevy SAS / 4X / Cummins converstion - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2006, 10:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 2634
97' CC Dually Chevy SAS / 4X / Cummins converstion

Currently have a 2WD 97' CC LB, Chevy dually for a tow rig and I'm planning on a SAS 4x / cummins converstion. I'm in the intial process of doing my homework and trying to figure out a parts list and what all is involved. I've been building yota's and tube chassis buggies for years so I have the equipment and fab skilz needed. Basically I'm just looking for input on what parts I'm gonna need or if there are converstions kit's for the SAS and or the cummins swap. Normaly I would just pull the parts together and fab as needed, but after seeing the cost drop on yota SAS kit's, I'm willing to just buy a "KIT" for either or both of my objectives for this build but don't know where to start.

I know that I could probably just buy a decent F350 or Dodge and be fine, but I like to build things that are a little different and I love this body style. Plus my Chebby is paid for.

So what would your " realistic " plans be for this build ? What I'm really looking for here is detailed info for my parts list, makes, years, ect.ect. I need to start pulling parts from.

I want to run a 12V for simplicity and a 6 speed tranny.

Thanks

RJ
Old 05-28-2006, 09:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 19736
Since you are going to be running a 6 speed, I assume that you want to use the NV5600? That will bolt right up to the Cummins with the right factory dodge adapter. And being that you are doing a SAS you could use the dodge transfer case. I believe the outputs are on different sides, just buy your front axle accordingly. Pretty simple swap being your using a 12 valve and a tranny that came stock with them.

All the gauges can be utilized, but you will have to use the GM alternator(which already has the magnetic pickup being a diesel) if Im not mistaking. As it picks the tach reading from there. There are a few others that have converted that gen of chevies on TDR. I have did a couple Cummins converstions... none on 88-98 trucks though.

I have read that you have a 6.5 in there to begin with. Last I read you was happy with the 6.5... what changed?
Old 05-28-2006, 10:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 2634
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelth2002
I have read that you have a 6.5 in there to begin with. Last I read you was happy with the 6.5... what changed?
6.5 still runs and works well. I can tow at 65 all day long up and down the grades. I just want to build something cool.
Old 05-28-2006, 07:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 33536
Check out the conversions forum on TDR if you havent already. Have to be a member to search and post, reading is free.

Also check out Auto World: http://autoworldmt.com/ as they have done tons of conversions. I have heard some horror stories about some other converters, but never anything bad about these guys. Most of their work is Ford, but they have done other stuff too.

Dont think that the NV5600 is made any more, so you will have to get it used if you want it and they are still $$$. An NV4500 will hold up well with aftermarket parts to 600 hp or more. High Impact sells new and reman units i think. Stock input rating is 450 hp or so. Both of these came behind the 5.9L from Dodge so they should bolt right up. The 5600 is over twice the weight of the 4500 though, so you may want to take that into account.

A 12v is a simple motor as you said and AFAIK can be made to run on 3-4 wires, so wiring should be simple.

Dont know of anyone who makes a KIT, just parts to do the swap and lots of custom fab work..
85blue4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 09:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 32841
Send a message via AIM to cybergeek23851
Yeah, kits are pretty much out as far as I can tell. I second checking out Autoworld Montana. They know there stuff when it comes to conversions. Just try to avoid a "53 block" as they are somewhat plagued with problems.
Otherwise, if you get 2nd gen engine up to about '99, while it is out, make sure to check for the "KDP", or Killer Dowel pin.
cybergeek23851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 10:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 38527
Send a message via MSN to sj-x
one guy in town had a shop do a similar swap... ended up costing him 24000 in labour and parts. not worth it in my opinion.. but if you are going to do it yourself, it would be not half bad really, just new mounts, maybe new flares or fittings on the fuel lines, and the intercooler lines might be a lil odd ball but nothing you can't do with a lil time
sj-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 11256
Here's my build-up Has most of the info you'll need except some of the electronics are different between your truck and mine.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/...ght=84+crewcab

If you have an specific questions give Ken at autoworld a call he's a master of these conversions.

-ben
m016324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 04:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 2634
Quote:
Originally Posted by m016324
Here's my build-up Has most of the info you'll need except some of the electronics are different between your truck and mine.

If you have an specific questions give Ken at autoworld a call he's a master of these conversions.

-ben
No pics in that thread
Old 05-30-2006, 05:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 16589
Originally Posted by m016324

There's a lot of items that Ben did that required too much Labor....he didn't have to cut the firewall or core support....just by turning the intercooler so the tubes are on top rather than on the bottom and used a 91.5-93 radiator would of saved days of labor. think simple when wiring, get the grid heater control out of a non-intercooled 89-91.5 truck so you have hands off heated air when cold. Use the cummins alternator but an early external regulator. Think about future mods while mocking engine placement....especially if you thinking about compound turbos.....The biggest mistake with swaps are not saving every last part from Donor and project rig till the Job is completed. If you think you'll save $$$ by just buying and engine rather than a complete correctly configured donor be ready to get hit with too many small items that will quickly suck up the difference and too much of your time....You are close enough to All Dodge its a great yard but Marvin is one grumpy SOB it takes a while to get past his personality. You'll need to be able to browse his back rooms. Thats all for now
Towner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 11256
my truck is dropped that's why all the extra work. And to fit the nv5600 you do have to cut the tranny tunnel but not the firewall unless the truck is dropped like mine. Also I wanted the bigger radiator and intercooler wouldn't fit upside down once again because my truck is body dropped.

And I agree on getting a donor truck I didn't do that but I did get a complete engine tranny intercooler and radiator shipped to me for 2200 so I couldn't pass it up.

The pics work fine for me I am sure I can find them if you can't see them. They are hosted on photobucket I think.

-ben
m016324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 87
Send a message via AIM to GRMhick
I want to see how much you end up saving in the end over buying a new CTD for 30k.

Keep us updated.
GRMhick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 05:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 2634
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRMhick
I want to see how much you end up saving in the end over buying a new CTD for 30k.

Keep us updated.

This project is simply in the " homework" stage. As mentioned. I know I can buy a " USED" CTD or PSD dually CC for 30K and under

I might go full on and do the 4x and cummins swap
I might only go with the cummins and 6sp
I just might sell the rig and buy a CTD.
I might not do anything

Don't know

It all depends on how much time I'm willing to donate to the project. I won't sacrifice my family time for projects ( my kids aren't old enough yet to get involved ). I'm willing to put 10K towards this if I go full on and I'll still be ahead of the game. I only paid 9K for the rig.

So well see how it goes. I'm in no rush,I'm just sitting back waiting for the right donor rig to surface.

I wouldn't except to see a full on write up with daily updates anytime soon.

As mentioned, I might not do anything. This truck does everything I want it too, I just like having a project. So well see how it goes

plus, you get the COOL factor if you build something different
Attached Images

Last edited by Chopperman; 06-04-2006 at 05:54 PM.
Chopperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 03:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Does yer dewg bite?

Member # 196
DO IT! The KOOL factor would be worth it...

In loving memory of Madelyn Rose Ekhilevsky
04/17/04 - 12/08/08
vova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:04 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 52361
Definately buy a donor truck, it saved me a ton of $ and time on my cummins F250 swap. Didn't once have to hit a junkyard, ebay, or dealership. Check out DIESEL POWER april 06, they did a cummins and 5spd in a 96 k3500. A 91-93 w350 would be a score, with 5spd, 205, and kingpin 60, pass side drop. You could do the 2wd cummins swap, then go back later with a divorced 205 and d60 of your choice, you have the wheelbase for it. Keep us posted!
PROJECTJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 05:42 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 16589
this might work for your donor? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=4645643253
Towner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:52 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 52361
Wow, that might top any redneck shit I have done, full interior burn, no glass, melted steering wheel, no front clip, a gmc seat tossed in to sit on, 50mph, priceless.
Could end up being a good deal, but you get the pos balljoint front end, probably center axle disconnect. Not so bad for a DD or tow rig if you aren't running huge tires, and don't mind coughing up $400 for bearings every 80k.
Make sure the check clears, wouldn't want that kind of cutthroat backwoods hillbillies after me.
PROJECTJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote