Need new axles?? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2006, 09:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 13342
Need new axles??

I have a 7K lb car hauler with Dexter E-Z lube axles. I recently took a +7600 mile/3 week trip out west towing my '85 4runner. I think I killed my 3500 lb axles.

While driving up the west side of Pyramid Lake in NW Nevada, I blew a rear trailer tire and didn't know it (the road was gravel and at any speed generated huge amounts of dust). I found out when I stopped at Sand Pass Siding and discovered a shredded driver's side rear tire on the trailer. At that time, I probably drove 30-40 miles on the dirt road, but have no idea when the tire actually went. I replaced the tire and went on.

I noticed however, that the wheels and tires of both axles were angled "out" i.e. like this: / \ (although not this extreme). Tire wear on the inside was drastic.

Have I damaged my axles and, if so, are they repareable?

I have a heavy duty frame (6" channel) and always planned to replace both 3500 lb axles with 5200 lb axles? Good idea or bad? Price on two EZ lube Dexter 5200 lb axles with brakes is ... what?

For a pics of my trailer, see here: http://photos.thedieselstop.com/show...=52622&thumb=1

All comments and suggestions welcome!

Thanks,

Al

Last edited by Albin; 08-13-2006 at 12:26 PM.
Albin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 12:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 13342
Anybody?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2006, 12:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 28196
You;ll probably have to pull the hubs off and look at the spindles to know if they are damaged.

As for upgrading to stronger axles, I believe you can. My 10K trailer has a 6" channel frame. The web thickness is .200", so you'll need to check yours for that dimension. Also, you'll need to make sure your crossmembers are stout enough. Mine are 3" channel spaced on 24" centers.

OR you can put the stronger axles under the trailer and continue to treat it as a 7K capacity.
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 13342
Quote:
Originally Posted by threadkiller
You;ll probably have to pull the hubs off and look at the spindles to know if they are damaged.

As for upgrading to stronger axles, I believe you can. My 10K trailer has a 6" channel frame. The web thickness is .200", so you'll need to check yours for that dimension. Also, you'll need to make sure your crossmembers are stout enough. Mine are 3" channel spaced on 24" centers.

OR you can put the stronger axles under the trailer and continue to treat it as a 7K capacity.
Any idea what to look for when I take the hubs off?

I checked my frame against a 10K tandem axle from Big Tex. It has a 5" channel frame. Mine does too. It also has the 3" channel for the crossmembers.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

Thanks,

Al
Old 08-16-2006, 06:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
JCC

Member # 13845
I think you should pull the trailer to the place you bought it from. Let them look it over and maybe fix it. If you want to upgrade axles they could probably get you a better deal on them. JC
Old 08-16-2006, 08:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 13342
Not a bad idea, JC. However, considering the +30 mile drive one way, I want to know as much as I can before I call them up. Plus, I have to recover from a one month vacation, both mentally and financially!

Thanks,

Al
Old 08-20-2006, 05:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16699
Without putting them in a jig it would be hard to tell. Yes, they can be fixed but why ? And the 5200's should fit. The difference is in the spindals

We just went through this with my Moms 5th wheel, It took them less than 2 hrs to pull the axle fix it and put it back in.
rockmup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 08:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 49181
I would just swap over the 5200's. You'll also need new u-bolts since you'll be going from 2 3/8" tubes to 3" tubes. You'll also need to change your rims from 5 bolt to 6 bolt 15". You really need to up the tire load range also, but you could do rims first to save money. I know how that goes myself. Simple hand tools and you could do this in your driveway. I would suggest contacting you're dealer and just telling them what happened. I would even say to do it and laugh about it. Let them know what you are wanting to do, and if you are wanting to do it yourself or not. They would probably give you a deal on the axles since you bought the trailer from them and your honest about what happened. I'm sure we aren't the only dealer that hears "I don't know how that axle bent, I've never put more than 1,000 lbs. or so on the trailer". So when we have a customer that says "Man, I overloaded the piss out of the thing and the frame held up great. Wish I would have bought the 10K trailer. What kind of deal can you make me on a set of 5,200's with brakes?" we treat them to phat deals because it is rare to see honesty any more.

Check out PARAphernalia GEAR for 550 Paracord and items

www.sneveysoffroad.com/

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here--> www.lugnut4x4.com
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 09:29 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 13342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Guy
I would just swap over the 5200's. You'll also need new u-bolts since you'll be going from 2 3/8" tubes to 3" tubes. You'll also need to change your rims from 5 bolt to 6 bolt 15". You really need to up the tire load range also, but you could do rims first to save money. I know how that goes myself. Simple hand tools and you could do this in your driveway. I would suggest contacting you're dealer and just telling them what happened. I would even say to do it and laugh about it. Let them know what you are wanting to do, and if you are wanting to do it yourself or not. They would probably give you a deal on the axles since you bought the trailer from them and your honest about what happened. I'm sure we aren't the only dealer that hears "I don't know how that axle bent, I've never put more than 1,000 lbs. or so on the trailer". So when we have a customer that says "Man, I overloaded the piss out of the thing and the frame held up great. Wish I would have bought the 10K trailer. What kind of deal can you make me on a set of 5,200's with brakes?" we treat them to phat deals because it is rare to see honesty any more.
What pisses me off is that I seriously considered just buying a 10k trialer to begin with. I think it would have the been the same trailer I have now, except with 5200 lb axles, wheels and tires. Now, not only do I have to pay for new axles, but also wheels and tires. The tires on the current axles now are pretty much shot. Oh well, hingsight is always 20/20.

I took pics of the axles today, unloaded. You can see a definite bend in the axle tube, it's even obvious unloaded.

Question: 2500 lb tires are slightly larger than 1850 rated tires. Will the new axles, wheels and (slightly larger) tires fit without the tires hitting the fenders?

Thanks for the advice.

Al
Old 08-23-2006, 05:46 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 13342
Here are some pics I took of the trailer, hope they turn out OK:

Passenger side tire from the front (all pics are with the trailer unloaded); note the tire leaning outward at the bottom and the tire wear. Outside tire wear was caused by driving from NW NV to Gallup, NM, I had the tires reversed while staying in Gallup on the way home; inside wear caused by driving from Gallup to North Alabama.
Attached Images

Last edited by Albin; 08-23-2006 at 05:53 AM.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:47 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 13342
Pic of the front axle with a level/straight edge on top. The bottom of the level is touching the top of the axle at each end, the gap in the middle shows the axle bend.
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2006, 05:49 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 13342
Another pic of the clearance between the top of these tires with the fenders. Do I have enough room for E rated tires that are about 1" - 1.5" taller?
Attached Images

Last edited by Albin; 08-23-2006 at 05:49 AM.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:30 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 28196
Did you actually overload the trailer? If not, I'd take it back to the dealer and ask THEM what they can do about your axles.

I looked at a brand new Lawrimore trailer last weekend and was not impressed. The new rims were alreay starting to rust. They didn't prime the trailer nor did they even paint the whole thing. The front of the tongue was bare metal. To top it off, they actually painted the trailer AFTER the deck was installed. Makes me wonder what else they didn't do properly.

On the other hand, if you did overload the trailer... The stronger tires will still fit inside your fenders.

Who did you buy your trailer from? Was it the dealer in Ardmore?
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:12 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 13342
Quote:
Originally Posted by threadkiller
Did you actually overload the trailer? If not, I'd take it back to the dealer and ask THEM what they can do about your axles.

I looked at a brand new Lawrimore trailer last weekend and was not impressed. The new rims were alreay starting to rust. They didn't prime the trailer nor did they even paint the whole thing. The front of the tongue was bare metal. To top it off, they actually painted the trailer AFTER the deck was installed. Makes me wonder what else they didn't do properly.

On the other hand, if you did overload the trailer... The stronger tires will still fit inside your fenders.

Who did you buy your trailer from? Was it the dealer in Ardmore?
I'll answer your last question first: Look at the first pic.

Rims rusting: check
No priming: check
Didn't paint the whole thing (the bottom): check
Painted after installing deck: check
Tongue bare metal: Nope, mine was painted.

Given all that, I still like my trailer, I think I got a good deal on it given what I got and what I saw when looking for trailers is that most, if not all, trailer manufacturers do what I "checked" above, at least what I've seen in North Alabama and South Tenn. I like the long tongue (52") and the fact that they install the jack and I can still open my truck tailgate (a major fubar I noticed on almost all other trailers).

Didn't know I was going to get (although I should have) a 10k framed trailer. Wish I had got the 10k axles to go with it (kicking myself again).

Trailer weighed around 6400 lbs when I weighed it in Gallup with my 4775 lb Toy 4runner on it, this is the axle weight; this should be the same weight in NW NV where I lost a driver side rear tire. The trailer axles weren't overloaded until the tire blew on a gravel road and I don't know how long I drove on only 3 (or 2) tires. 6400 lbs on a 3500 lb axle on a dirt road with potholes, yea, I think it was overloaded. Don't know what happened to the rear axle except it doesn't look as bent as the front. I estimate that I drove a total of 250 miles or so on dirt/gravel roads while in Nevada. The rest was highway or secondary roads and fairly smooth.

Thanks,

Al