Converting dually bed into flatbed hauler or rollback - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2006, 02:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 80186
Smile Converting dually bed into flatbed hauler or rollback

Hi, I am about to buy a dually truck. I have not purchased one yet because I'm trying to to save money and converting it into a rollback or (not sure the name of this type of truck) the kind of truck that can haul cars but it is a flatbed that angles down on the rear and has removable ramps. Heres a pic of one I've seen on ebay
As you can tell, I want to haul cars. I'm kind of moving away from a roll back because I think it will be more expensive to build with the hydraulics. My questions are, what kind of dually should I use to make my truck like the one pictured? 2 door, 4 door, I'm going with a 454 gas engine. Where can I get plans to build a bed like this or if I cant, what would it cost to have someone build this bed for me? I will be driving from CA to NY to pick up some of my cars and I will be hooking up a trailer so I will be able to carry 2 cars... this way I wont need a class B license if I just bought a 2 car trailer. Is the chassis long enough to build this or do I need to extend it? Any help is appreciated.
dothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Evil Twin

Member # 10695
Send a message via AIM to yager
Hodges conversion... Yes they usually extend the frame. Before I got my current truck, i had considered using a regular cab on a CC/Long bed chassis that would have been just enough to make a small ramp deck... Keep trolling ebay stuff always pops up and you can get a lot of ideas...

Be careful most are not rated (GVWR) to haul one and have on on a wheel lift, trailer probbaly be fine.

And, leave the rust buckets in NY (NY native)
2006 Ford e450-RV/Ambulance
Stroke - Coumadin(warfarin) - INR - Heart Valve - Ask me (true story)
yager is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2006, 10:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 170
The wedge trucks...you can also get a few ideas from Suncountrytrailers.com....
Old 10-04-2006, 01:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 8110
Send a message via ICQ to RodeoRob Send a message via AIM to RodeoRob
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothis
I'm going with a 454 gas engine.
talk about horrible mpg... i'd reconsider and find a diesel. if you think you can't afford it now, you certainly won't be able to afford the gas bill from that 454 with one on top and one in tow.

-Rob
RodeoRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 80186
I looked at the Suncountrytrailers.com website. Theres good info there, I might get it done there. However, I never really considered going with a diesel engine because I alaways wanted to put the 454 in one of my cars if in the future i decided I didnt want the truck anymore. Most importantly is the money I will save on gas, thats what matters too me. I dont like spending money if I dont need to. I never owned or knew anyone with a diesel engine. What kind of milage and hp will I get in comparason with a gas engine of the same size?
dothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 76684
Quote:
Most importantly is the money I will save on gas, thats what matters too me. I dont like spending money if I dont need to.
Now that's funny. If milage matters, gas doesn't belong in the equation, especially with a setup that heavy. I would plan on 5-9 mpg with that. Semi's get that...you do the math. If it was me, I would look for diesel 2-2.5 ton trucks. They'll take the weight better without building an entire new frame for it (still have to stretch, depending on truck), plus the suspension and axle will be able to take the weight. They'll probably be cheaper in the end.

Last edited by nissancrawler; 10-05-2006 at 01:28 AM.
nissancrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 05:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Poseur SUV

Member # 610
Send a message via ICQ to Paul Gagnon
Quote:
Hi, I am about to buy a dually truck. I have not purchased one yet because I'm trying to to save money and converting it into a rollback or (not sure the name of this type of truck) the kind of truck that can haul cars but it is a flatbed that angles down on the rear and has removable ramps. Heres a pic of one I've seen on ebay
These are most often referred to as a ramp truck.
Paul Gagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 05:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Poseur SUV

Member # 610
Send a message via ICQ to Paul Gagnon
Or just buy this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-...QQcmdZViewItem

or this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1976-...QQcmdZViewItem

or this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CAR-H...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by Paul Gagnon; 10-05-2006 at 05:09 AM.
Paul Gagnon is offline   Reply With Quote