Pop up Dove Tail, hydraulic dovetail, or strait deck w/ ramps? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2007, 01:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Juggernaut

Member # 49232
Send a message via Yahoo to Camarogenius
Pop up Dove Tail, hydraulic dovetail, or strait deck w/ ramps?

Tell me your experiences. I'm thinking a pop up dove tail, just for flexibility. Is it worth it?
Old 02-09-2007, 01:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 4358
Send a message via Yahoo to FYRMAN
Could go either way. Dove tail is nice for loading anything low. You never know what you are going to be hauling. Emergencies do come up.

Hydraulic systems do need to be maintained. I have seen several that have worked flawlessly, but I've also seen a few that were a complete pain in the ass.

I guess I'm not much help other to say that the hydraulic dove tail is great when they aren't being tempermental.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4506
I would love a dove tail for just as Fyrman said, loading low stuff, and you need shorter ramps. Both both on trailers and on flatbed trucks I use them for so much other than hauling my junk to/from the trail that having a flat deck is VERY handy and much more convenient.

I actually have designed (or atleast ideas) in my head for a flatbed set up that combines roll-deck, dump bed and sometimes even beaver tail all in the same bed for ultimate versatility. It would be trick, but I also wonder if it would just be too much complexity and weight to really justify itself. It would be a fair number of cylinders, hosing, valves and lock-outs that are just more $$, more headache and more hassle.

I think a hydraulic beaver tail would be nice on a higher than normal trailer, but it might look kind of funny (notch in the deck sides) and would add a couple hundred pounds... and I like my trailers as light as I can get them yet still do the job (I have a heavy equipment trailer once, and it worked, but your loading the truck just pulling the trailer around, let alone with a 6K rig on it....
Old 02-09-2007, 01:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 5943
Location: Southeastern MN. (formerly near Chicago, I've ESCAPED!)
Dad has a 28' gooseneck with a manual beaver tail. There's a couple of big honkin' pins to pull, then a jack handle is used to either raise or lower the last 4' of trailer. Works pretty well, although I doubt I'd want to do it with anything on that last section of trailer.
ChiXJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 02:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 73059
If you're going too be hauling Commercial, Keep the trailer light and simple.
The less that trailer weighs the more you can haul, And better MPG...
Just my .2
Rockhales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Juggernaut

Member # 49232
Yeah, I was pretty sure to begin with that I didn't want hydraulic anything, but I figured better to ask.
I think the pop up is the best bet, that way I still have a decent approach angle, if I want to load cars, but I can still have a flat deck if I want to haul something long.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 76684
I'm going to be making my dovetail a flatbed, but it's not a deck over. The ass end just plain gets too low and hits shit.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Juggernaut

Member # 49232
Well, I went and looked at a pop up dove tail today, just to investigate how it works, and how durable it would realistically be. It adds a good bit to the cost, but I can see where it'd be nice to have. The problem is that I also found a 53' strait deck gooseneck, with a 45' deck, and an 8' top deck, and so far, the money's looking right on the 53'.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 16223
Going to bump this back to the top instead of starting a new thread. I'm going to empty my piggybank and buy a gooseneck flatbed. One thing I have noticed shopping around is that there are plenty of fancy options that translate into a LOT more weight, reduced payload, and higher price.

Goal is to keep the weight down, and length as short as possible. Tow rig is a 2002 CCSB Powerstroke 4x4.

Anyone have a trailer with a split pop-up dove tail and slide in ramps like pictured below. How do you like it?

Seems like you get the advantages of a straight deck, better loading angle of a dovetail, and the ability to hang something off the end of the trailer (if you need to) without having flip-over ramps that you have to tie up because you can't flip them over.
Four Paws is offline   Reply With Quote