Slammed 2wd Tow Rigs? Is anyone cool enough for this? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2007, 09:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 40038
Slammed 2wd Tow Rigs? Is anyone cool enough for this?

Just wondering if there was anyone who was towing with a frame dragger? I did a search, nothin. So lets see some pics/ specs of whatcha got. If there's a similar thread, please post the link. Thanks.

I just bought a 2wd F350 dually crew, looking for some inspiration, cause mine will be on its nuts after EJS I'll post a build when it gets crackalakin...
JohnToyRatRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
NJ

Member # 27082
I dont think a slammed 2wd trail rig will make it to a lot of the trail heads most of the guys here unload at, sometimes a 2wd in general might be a challenge
NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2007, 09:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 1234
I can't even begin to count how many times I've NEEDED four wheel drive in my tow rigs with a trailer hooked up
Old 03-13-2007, 10:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 107
Send a message via AIM to The Jerk Send a message via MSN to The Jerk Send a message via Yahoo to The Jerk
wicked fab owner had one.....
Old 03-13-2007, 10:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 9482
If you are going to use air bags, I don't see a big problem, but what are you going to do with the frame? I wonder how much weaker a 'c' notched frame is, if any?

Last edited by EMIEVEL; 03-13-2007 at 10:34 PM.
EMIEVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 855
2wd is scary getting to dry lake bed at the hammers. I don't think a lowered 3/4 truck towing a 7K trailer would make it.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 1418
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMIEVEL View Post
If you are going to use air bags, I don't see a big problem, but what are you going to do with the frame? I wonder how much weaker a 'c' notched frame is, if any?

My friend had a 80's 1/2 ton chevy that the frame ripped apart at the C-section when the trailer started waggin. It caused a HUGE traffic jam on the Bay bridge approach

I know stupid is as stupid does.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4506
I'd be all over it!

Seen a couple of NICE slammed duallys out there... and I like them.

My idea rig would be a 4wd, slammed (as reasonable) with bags for a little more height when I need it.

I like Chevy IFS 1-tons for this fact, the 4x4's are alread almost as low as a 2wd, yet you still have that front axle for when you need it. Ride and drive nice as well until they get old and start to as squeak... then you need to decide new rig or rebuild the front bushings.... not a big fan of huge, lifted tow rigs.

I have plans for my crew-cab IH shortbed to be that way. SUA front D44, or possibly on coils/bags and 4-link. Keep it as low or lower than it is now as a 2wd and make it nice and smooth.

Now if I wheeled at the Hammers or another place what had sketchy access I might rethink my plans, but all the places I have hauled too soo fare have been easily accessible with 4wd really only being use around my yard .
Old 03-14-2007, 09:23 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 40038
Yeah, I'm gonna get it down as far as I can without C notching. I'll be pulling a 5th w/ 2rigs as soon as my brother buys the trailer. I've taken my old tow, "The Pimp Van" in some sketchy spots with the trailer hooked and loaded. Not worried about it. It forces you to find a good parking spot

Lowering your tow rig creates more power via straighter drivelines, this comes with better fuel mileage. Not to metion, your pushing less air.

The other hand, lifting a tow rig is so dumb. It ruins the truck for towing, shity fuel mileage with big tires, more expensive parts, you can't load it cause so high, your girl bitches about getting in it, on and on... its not like your gonna wheel your tow rig anyway, oh and that sweet 20" drop hitch...lol
Old 03-14-2007, 09:45 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 53184
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnToyRatRig View Post
Lowering your tow rig creates more power via straighter drivelines, this comes with better fuel mileage. Not to metion, your pushing less air.
1.) Power increase? I don't see where it would made any real world difference, but I'd be interested in this theory.

2.) Please explain how you figure that you will be pushing less air. The way I see it, the profile of the truck will be no different, just closer to the ground but still have to push through the same air. Come to think of it, air is more dense with lower altitude, so maybe it will be a wash?
FFRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
Dana 44 Polisher

Member # 13731
I've had my 2wd Dodge stuck twice with a trailer behind it... And I've only owned it for 5-6 months.

I wasn't 'really' stuck either time but I had to unload the trailer the first time and unhitch the trailer the second time and come at it from a different angle (think Austin Powers in the hallway, except it was mud pinching me in on one side and a fence on the other).

And I am sure I will get stuck many more time if I keep towing and leaving the pavement.

BUT - I'd wager I get better mileage than a 4x4 version with all other specs being the same. And if I dropped it an inch or two - I bet mileage would increase a touch more (probably no where near enough to pay for the cost of lowering it even if I drive it another 50,000 miles). AND - it is real easy to load the bed, get into/out of (but my arms and legs aren't broken so a higher vehicle would be no 'real' difference).
uglyscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:18 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 40038
Power increase? You can definetly tell a difference when you decrease a driveline angle. I thought that was common knowledge; you loose rotational force with increased driveline angles (toyota school).

Less air? By lowering, its slightly more aerodynamic when towing. ie; more gradual increase of airflow from low to high. Helps a bit, but its still a brick going down the road.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:16 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 53184
Okay, agreed on the angle, but is it really going to make any real difference going from stock height to say a 4-6inch drop? In stock form the drive shaft angle is pretty good.

The reasons you mentioned seem neglable at very best. Makes me think you are trying to have ammo to get the lowering your truck plan past your wife.

I am putting drop shackles on the back of my truck 2wd PSD this afternoon. For no other reason than I think it will look better sitting closer to level. I too have plans of one day putting a nice bag set up on it for apperance and hopes of a better ride.
FFRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 11:51 AM   #14 (permalink)
Not 5S compliant

Member # 1889
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustoleumWhite View Post
if I wheeled at the Hammers or another place what had sketchy access I might rethink my plans,
I've been to the Hammers I dunno how many times with a 2WD tow rig.
Gotten stuck in the lakebed once.
Never gotten stuck on the access road.
Been down the access road a couple times with the enclosed (not mine, no beating it up) and a lot with my open trailer. With mine, I don't run enough tongue weight to impact traction much, so I tend to baja it a bit, plus it'll take it. Under threat of dismemberment and then beating-death with my own limbs, no bajaing the enclosed, but it runs enough pin weight typically to where it's not an issue.

That said, I'm debating going 4x4 on the next tow rig, largely because of how much I got stuck this past winter, in my driveway, in the street in front of my house, on the sidewalk, in the parking lot at Safeway...

I've thought a lot about lowering my Dmax, but I rack up miles too fast on tow rigs, gotta leave 'em mostly alone, try and save some resale value (and some cash outlay).

Last edited by Scott@Rockstomper; 03-14-2007 at 11:53 AM.
Scott@Rockstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:53 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 1418
Quote:
Power increase? You can definetly tell a difference when you decrease a driveline angle. I thought that was common knowledge; you loose rotational force with increased driveline angles (toyota school).

Less air? By lowering, its slightly more aerodynamic when towing. ie; more gradual increase of airflow from low to high. Helps a bit, but its still a brick going down the road.

I've never heard about the "you loose rotational force with increased driveline angles " ......... I understand that happening if its longer that'll happen.

Theres less to no air going UNDER the truck that improves the gas millage
Old 03-14-2007, 01:28 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 40038
I think you guys are missing my main point here. That is 2wd slammed duallies are sick! I am on the highway trying to haul-ass more than worrying how close to the trail head I'll park. Yeah it might get stuck, thats why I'm hauling a rockcrawler with a winch, have tire chains, and also why hotels make $(Ex:snowstorm stuck somewhere in the mountains, etc.)!

I just wanted to see if anyone had any pics of their slammed tow rig, cause it looks sweet...
Old 03-14-2007, 01:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
Community Organizer

Member # 32677
Quote:
I think you guys are missing my main point here. That is 2wd slammed duallies are sick! I am on the highway trying to haul-ass more than worrying how close to the trail head I'll park. Yeah it might get stuck, thats why I'm hauling a rockcrawler with a winch, have tire chains, and also why hotels make $(Ex:snowstorm stuck somewhere in the mountains, etc.)!

I just wanted to see if anyone had any pics of their slammed tow rig, cause it looks sweet...
This thread is reminding me of high school...
Soundguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:03 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 11256
here's mine. works fine just have to realize when you can't go any further

-ben

m016324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 9482
That's sweet! How high is normal ride height? How high is trail access height? Need more pics!

Maybe you can point me in the direction to lower my Ford SD Dually? I want a rear linked, bagged suspension, but what do I do with the front?
EMIEVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:02 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 36920
Send a message via AIM to HellFire
Quote:
Originally Posted by m016324 View Post

-ben

Me like!
HellFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:04 PM   #21 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4506
Quote:
Originally Posted by m016324 View Post

DAMN... now thats LOOOOOW!!

Last edited by RustoleumWhite; 03-14-2007 at 09:04 PM.
RustoleumWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:57 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 56214
Heres last months cover truck of Deisel power........"My" inspiration. I'm still looking for the right superduty though.

DEMON76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:31 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 40038
YES! Thats what I'm talkn.

Ben- what did those wheels come from? Thats sick man
Wait, we need some more pics and specs of that chev., cnotch facts, etc

That diesel is way out of my price range...
Old 03-14-2007, 11:03 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 56214
I think the only thing that put that superduty out of range in the $100K that he sunk into the interior, audio/visual setup. IMO the rest is doable on a reasonalbe budget, I'm gonna try and prove it.
DEMON76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 04:26 AM   #25 (permalink)
Heyull yea

Member # 13671
Jeezus thats badass.

Who makes those tires? I didnt know anyone was making sport truck tires for OTR sized wheels...