07 GMC's integrated brake controller - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2007, 11:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 76609
Location: Pilot Hill, CA now Woodland, CA; 1 hour further from the con :(
07 GMC's integrated brake controller

I was looking on gmc.com and noticed the 07's are available with an "integrated brake controller", is this just a new name for the brake controller provisions like they have always had, or does this mean there is a controller integrated into the brake system from the factory like on the Fords?
Just curious.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 22297
It's just what you think...

scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2007, 04:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 31595
Send a message via AIM to rebelchevy02 Send a message via Yahoo to rebelchevy02
Ford started using their version of this in 2005 IIRC. I havent used it yet, although at work we do have a truck with it. All I can say is, with todays technologies, its about time, for integrated brake controllers, that vary with the brake pedal.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 47888
Yuppie version of the Prodigy?
Old 04-22-2007, 09:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 45125
Send a message via AIM to adrianspeeder Send a message via MSN to adrianspeeder Send a message via Yahoo to adrianspeeder
But also tied in with the ABS system.

Adrianspeeder
Old 04-22-2007, 10:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 51692
Send a message via ICQ to rocknbronco Send a message via Yahoo to rocknbronco
Tow Command from Ford is the shizzel
Old 04-23-2007, 09:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Well Done Man!

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn Send a message via AIM to welndmn Send a message via Yahoo to welndmn
Does anyone know if its a Brakesmart product?
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 74118
Its a GM product.......
Old 04-25-2007, 11:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 76609
Location: Pilot Hill, CA now Woodland, CA; 1 hour further from the con :(
I hope it is not like the prodigy, I hated that fawker, took it out and put in an activator II!!! The damn thing wasn't consistant. I have driven a ford with the tow command and it was very nice. I just hope the controller works off of brake into and not enertia like the prodigy.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 22297
I actually really like my Prodigy, I've found it quite consistent, but I agree it's not as good as the systems that tie into the brakes.
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 05:39 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 47888
"Tied into the ABS" sounds nice, but that's not how ABS works.

Neither the wheel sensors, nor the ABS controller know whether you are hooked to a trailer. ABS reacts to wheel speed differential. Even the more advanced electronic stability controls (ESC/ESP/etc.) have real problems "understanding" (i.e. Compensating for) the behavior of trailers. The integrated Ford/GM controllers are a lot more convenient, but are limited by the "dumb" (non-ABS) trailer brakes.

Last edited by THachiya; 04-25-2007 at 05:39 PM.
THachiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 11256
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilothillcrawler View Post
I hope it is not like the prodigy, I hated that fawker, took it out and put in an activator II!!! The damn thing wasn't consistant. I have driven a ford with the tow command and it was very nice. I just hope the controller works off of brake into and not enertia like the prodigy.
I never had a problem with either prodigy that I used. Mine is consistent and doesn't require the constant adjustments that other systems I have used need. But I guess there are always different stroke or different folks

-ben
m016324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:15 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 11921
Hopefully its as good as the Ford (minus fires). My friend went from a Prodigy in his old Ford to the TowCommand in his '05 Ford and it works much nicer. (when it works, it burned up once)
Old 04-26-2007, 09:57 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 4358
Send a message via Yahoo to FYRMAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by THachiya View Post
"Tied into the ABS" sounds nice, but that's not how ABS works.

Neither the wheel sensors, nor the ABS controller know whether you are hooked to a trailer. ABS reacts to wheel speed differential.
Yes, they will know if you are hooked to a trailer. The same signal that tells you that you are hooked up, will also tell the ABS controllers that you are pulling a trailer. Wether or not they have programmed the ABS correctly to compensate for the load, is a different story. Granted, it won't be able to activate "ABS" on the trailer, but it should affect the trucks braking abilities.

My question is wether or not it will work with electric over hydraulic brakes.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:41 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 47888
The Ford system piggybacks trailer control programs on their electronic stability controls (ESP), to compensate for the effects of the trailer.

Generally speaking ABS systems are only reacting to the mechanical forces on the tire/wheel sensors that are (obviously) sensitive to the trailer loads. As the wheel slips, the ABS reduces brake pressure on that wheel. Whether the cause of the slip is rain/snow or the slip is mitigated by the weight of the trailer, it's irrelevant to the ABS system. More to the point, the superiority of the ABS facilitated braking in the towing vehicle tends to worsen the effects of the non-ABS trailer brakes. (i.e. Trailer Push)

For this reason, the inertial systems (e.g. Prodigy) are a good thing as they can dynamically adjust the trailer's braking based on actual stopping forces. (Think of it as a dynamic proportioning valve.) Conversely, the OEM based systems can read other sensors (e.g. Road speed, wheel speed, brake pressure) to develop a braking "strategy." Each has its advantages. (OEM is naturally better at slow speed while inertial systems have the advantage at higher speeds.)

While the OEM approach certainly has "home field advantage" and should be the better answer, until they start equipping trucks with higher end ESP systems, the concept of "ABS integration" is similar to calling a push button a "dynamic motion sensor." I know that vehicles like the BMW X5 and it's Bosch based ESP have real sophisticated trailer accomodations, and for the money, that's no surprise, but I haven't seen that level of sophistication on a 3/4 ton truck yet.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:50 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 47888
Quote:
Originally Posted by FYRMAN View Post
My question is wether or not it will work with electric over hydraulic brakes.
Yes. As long as your trailer brakes can work with a standard brake controller, it doesn't matter. For the same reason that the brake controller doesn't know whether your trailer brakes are adjusted or operational, it does not know whether you have electric or electric/hydraulic. (i.e. The trailer brake controller gets no feedback, it just sends variable voltage to the trailer brake circuit. What your trailer does with the current is of no concern to the controller.)