Airbag compressor on the cheap - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2007, 07:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 24876
Airbag compressor on the cheap

Whatch'a got? air bags dont hardly hold any air.. so pretty much anything will work. Costco has a little roadside compressor but it's 60 bucks and roughly 4"x10"x8". it's not exactly little.

thinkin like a little ARB compressor maybe? anyone have an old rancho 9000 compressor? i did till i threw it away about a week before i bought bags

thinkin i could just run the same 1/8" line that came with the bags and have a manual switch, even if it dumps in the cab when released, it'd be better than looking for an air hose everytime i hook up to the trailer

i really want a York but i dont see that happening on my 24v cummins
Old 09-08-2007, 07:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Visa Master

Member # 8649
Uhh...I have a 5gallon tank, autoleveling valve, and a set of firestone bags under the back of my chevy 1ton and can get about a month of street driving before i need to add more air to the tank.

Why don't you try fixing the leaks?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2007, 07:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 24876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutt View Post
Uhh...I have a 5gallon tank, autoleveling valve, and a set of firestone bags under the back of my chevy 1ton and can get about a month of street driving before i need to add more air to the tank.

Why don't you try fixing the leaks?
i dont have leaks.... but i load/unload about 2-3 each per month. i have driving empty with 80 psi and i hate hooking up to a trailer with 5lbs and have the bag compress to the point i feel like i'm damaging them.

i guess i could try a 5 gal tank and still hook up a switch? and load unload the bags.. wonder how many times it would work?
Old 09-10-2007, 06:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4406
If your 24V is a 2nd gen, Kilby has a kit to mount a York on it.

Pete
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways , beer in hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOW, what a ride."
pcorssmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 1636
Mabye a Viair 450C and a tank off of a box truck with air brakes?
chris demartini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 11057
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullsizeYota View Post
Whatch'a got? air bags dont hardly hold any air.. so pretty much anything will work. Costco has a little roadside compressor but it's 60 bucks and roughly 4"x10"x8". it's not exactly little.
Well, then, what about one of those under-hood compressors used on GM cars with the load-leveling shocks? Seems like every Caddy from the 80's and 90's at the junkyard had one under the hood.
BobBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 26369
Send a message via Yahoo to Urban Wheeler
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBarry View Post
Well, then, what about one of those under-hood compressors used on GM cars with the load-leveling shocks? Seems like every Caddy from the 80's and 90's at the junkyard had one under the hood.
Check some of the newer Continentals, too.
Urban Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote