Pirate 4x4 banner

69 f100 tow rig questions

879 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  ToyotaGrowingPains 
#1 ·
Heres the deal, I got a toyota pickup measuring 90 inches wide with trail tires and need a big deck over wheels trailer to haul it. A few months ago I had picked up a 1969 F100. My orginial thoughts were to make it into a street truck. Well as I had a few more brain farts the idea of making the f100 into a tow rig.

The truck needs a few things in order to making this a possibility. Its got a 390(poo) and a C6 auto, drum brakes all around. I was thinking just a motor rebuild, disk brakes all around, hydroboost, and beefier rear end and springs.

My biggest concern with making this happen is frame strength and hauling with gooseneck or 5th wheel.

I am sure there might be some flames going right now but, I am not completely familiar on these trucks and their strength. What are some ideas i might need to look into or things that someone might know that i dont here.

Thanks in advance!
Chris

See less See more
#2 ·
After doing the work you outlined in your plan, frame strength would still be the weak link. I'd say that you'd have to address that in some form or another. Don't forget that when towing a GN or 5th wheel that a portion of the weight is also transfered to the front suspension. You'd most likely need to beef that up as well. If you just really like the sheetmetal of the '69, it would probably be easier/cheaper to just pick up a 250 or 350 with a rotted out body and swap the frame under the '69 body. Either that or sell the '69 and buy another truck that up to the task.

#3 ·
I had the feeling that was going to be my issue. The F100 is a really great truck actually the most reliable in my aresenal of trucks. Id hate to get rid of something like considering the shape. I picked it up for 1500 bucks with no rust just old paint. Which is really unusual here on the east coast. As is i figure i can sell it for 3-4 grand. But, I can get a frame from my ex gf. We(I)were building a 77 f250 rockwells, 4link and all that jazz. But since I split that project has ended so I am sure i can get all those parts from her since they are of no use. Makes it even easier since its already down to the frame.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.