So, after all the questions, here's the design I came up with for my ramps. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2007, 05:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
OSHA Safety

Member # 49232
Send a message via Yahoo to Camarogenius
So, after all the questions, here's the design I came up with for my ramps.

I started fabrication today.
The specs are;
Main side rails are 2x2x1/4 angle iron, and the cross peices will be 2x2x1/8 angle. They're going to be 8' long, although, I'm seriously thinking about shortening them to 6'.
Now for the design. In the attached drawing, the black is the trailer, and the blue is the ramp.
The light box that the ramp is sitting on is 4x2 heavy channel iron. On top of the light box is a 1x1x1/4 angle, and on the end of the ramp there's a corresponding peice of 1x1x1/4 angle.
Welded to the end of the 1x1x1/4 is a peice of 1/2' rebar. The diamond plate decking will cover most of the 1x1x1/4 that sits on top of the light box.
This will lock the ramp into the angle, making it impossible for the ramp to come out, or move in any way.
The ramps will be set and removed by sliding them out to the side.
Overkill? Absolutely.
How ever, I like redundant failsafes. I firmly believe that Mr. Murphy is constantly hiding in the shadows, waiting to strike.
Attached Images

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Camarogenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 78408
What kind of rig are you towing? Sounds to me like it's not big enough if you need ramps to get it on the trailer.

Seriously tho it sounds like the setup that's on my trailer which was used to haul a skid steer in it's previous life so they'll definitely be strong. They will also be very heavy. Mine are only 5' long and are heavy enough that it's easier to just drive up onto the trailer and leave the ramps at home.
KC2OTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2007, 05:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
OSHA Safety

Member # 49232
Send a message via Yahoo to Camarogenius
This is a commercial car hauler. A three car wedge. Look through chit chat at some of the loads I've hauled with it, and you'll see why I need it murphy-proof.
And these ramps are light as a feather compared to my old ones.
My old ones are for skid steers, small dozers, and mini excavators and weigh a little better than 200# each.

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Camarogenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 11:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 71185
Is dirt and slush and snow going to bind them up in winter? I think you could go to 6' pretty easily, my car trailer has ramps about 6' and the seem plenty long even for cars, your wedge is probably a lot lower to start with.

Brewchief
brewchief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
Your ramp design is just like mine. Only I don't slide my ramps in from the side (PITA), I just pick them up and lift them out.

But 2x2x.250 angle will bend. Try channel instead.
Travis Waldher is offline   Reply With Quote