What's the best way to fix a typical cracking dash in a Dodge Ram? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2008, 03:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Organizer
 
Soundguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member # 32677
Location: Conroe Texas
Posts: 3,053
What's the best way to fix a typical cracking dash in a Dodge Ram?

I have a 98 Ram 2500 and the dash is cracked all over the place, from what I see it's pretty normal and I'd like to fix it. I've seen a bunch of those covers that go over the stock dash but only online, never seen one installed with my own eyes. Has anyone done this to their trucks?

I have large pieces of mine breaking out so I'd like to get it fixed soon or at least cover it up so it stopped rattling when I start it up.
Soundguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Member # 83932
Location: Idaho!
Posts: 935
Buy a cover...

or buy a Ford
IDASHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2008, 05:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Community Organizer
 
Soundguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member # 32677
Location: Conroe Texas
Posts: 3,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASHO View Post
Buy a cover...

or buy a Ford
I'd much rather deal with a broken dash than a blown head gasket.
Soundguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
braxton357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Member # 14685
Location: morganton/charlotte,nc
Posts: 4,697
Send a message via AIM to braxton357
Got a (thin) hard plastic dash cover in mine. Can't even tell it isn't the factory dash...
__________________
In vino veritas

70 turbocharged 351w fastback mustang
73 linked 5.8efi Bronco
99 QCLB 4x4 twin'd cummins on meth.
braxton357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Community Organizer
 
Soundguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member # 32677
Location: Conroe Texas
Posts: 3,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by braxton357 View Post
Got a (thin) hard plastic dash cover in mine. Can't even tell it isn't the factory dash...
How does it attach to the stock dash? I have a few large chunks of mine missing, I'm wondering if I should file down the areas where the pieces are still touching before gluing something over it so they don't creek and crack while moving.
Soundguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Member # 20276
Location: Montgomery, TX
Posts: 2,041
YEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

search craiglist for parting out dodges. i had to buy and black cluster cover this weekend for mine.
My dash has about 3 big holes the size of large coffie cans the rest is just cracked peices about 3 to 4 inchs in size. i dont think one of them glue in dashs well stick to all these peices. or it well just all fall in if i press on it. the dealer wanted $230 something fo the cluster cover and over $4 bill for the dash but it still the same crap they built them from the start.

Im trying to find them at one of the after market replacement places. That collision places use. I got a number for one in houston im going to call tommorow and see if they have them.
__________________
01 RAM 2500 24V CUMMINS DD/Krawlerhauler
85 Yota Buggy 4.3/tb350/x2ler/2.5tons/42"s
Ramrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Member # 83932
Location: Idaho!
Posts: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
I'd much rather deal with a broken dash than a blown head gasket.
My 7.3 doesnt have that problem
IDASHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Member # 81214
Location: Lanna, Jawja
Posts: 3,254
Coverlay. Nice quality, just get it even underneath.
94-98.5 http://www.coverlaymfg.com/index.php...on=show_detail
98.5-01 http://www.coverlaymfg.com/index.php...on=show_detail
Never Monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
braxton357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Member # 14685
Location: morganton/charlotte,nc
Posts: 4,697
Send a message via AIM to braxton357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
How does it attach to the stock dash? I have a few large chunks of mine missing, I'm wondering if I should file down the areas where the pieces are still touching before gluing something over it so they don't creek and crack while moving.

I don't know how bad yours is, but fill the cracks with silicone then use the included adhesive to glue the new one on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrock View Post
YEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

search craiglist for parting out dodges. i had to buy and black cluster cover this weekend for mine.
My dash has about 3 big holes the size of large coffie cans the rest is just cracked peices about 3 to 4 inchs in size. i dont think one of them glue in dashs well stick to all these peices. or it well just all fall in if i press on it. the dealer wanted $230 something fo the cluster cover and over $4 bill for the dash but it still the same crap they built them from the start.

Im trying to find them at one of the after market replacement places. That collision places use. I got a number for one in houston im going to call tommorow and see if they have them.
I had to replace my cluster bezel recently and went by the dealership to see what they went for, the parts guy said "might want to try the junkyard, you don't even want to know". Somewhere over 400 altogether.

Anyway, I ended up ordering one from here. Came with new vents, clips, and everything for $90. http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...13&catalogid=2
__________________
In vino veritas

70 turbocharged 351w fastback mustang
73 linked 5.8efi Bronco
99 QCLB 4x4 twin'd cummins on meth.
braxton357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Community Organizer
 
Soundguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member # 32677
Location: Conroe Texas
Posts: 3,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrock View Post
YEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

search craiglist for parting out dodges. i had to buy and black cluster cover this weekend for mine.
My dash has about 3 big holes the size of large coffie cans the rest is just cracked peices about 3 to 4 inchs in size. i dont think one of them glue in dashs well stick to all these peices. or it well just all fall in if i press on it. the dealer wanted $230 something fo the cluster cover and over $4 bill for the dash but it still the same crap they built them from the start.

Im trying to find them at one of the after market replacement places. That collision places use. I got a number for one in houston im going to call tommorow and see if they have them.
I've been looking around everywhere but can't find anything but the covers plus any non-stock dash from a dealership is going to be 10 years old just like mine and can't be much better UNLESS someone is making an aftermarket dash replacement that isn't just a cover.
Soundguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Community Organizer
 
Soundguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member # 32677
Location: Conroe Texas
Posts: 3,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by braxton357 View Post
I don't know how bad yours is, but fill the cracks with silicone then use the included adhesive to glue the new one on.



I had to replace my cluster bezel recently and went by the dealership to see what they went for, the parts guy said "might want to try the junkyard, you don't even want to know". Somewhere over 400 altogether.

Anyway, I ended up ordering one from here. Came with new vents, clips, and everything for $90. http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...13&catalogid=2
You just saved me from asking more questions, that was the next thing I needed to replace. How's the quality on the bezel?
Soundguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Member # 20276
Location: Montgomery, TX
Posts: 2,041
I got one that had a small crack for $15 he wanted $35 but when he pulled it out of his storage it cracked. Most of the dash's is toteled when the air bags go off. or thats what ive seen on the last 3 wrecked trucks ive found localy.

I get a pretty good discount from the deal and there still to high.
__________________
01 RAM 2500 24V CUMMINS DD/Krawlerhauler
85 Yota Buggy 4.3/tb350/x2ler/2.5tons/42"s
Ramrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
Community Organizer
 
Soundguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member # 32677
Location: Conroe Texas
Posts: 3,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrock View Post
I got one that had a small crack for $15 he wanted $35 but when he pulled it out of his storage it cracked. Most of the dash's is toteled when the air bags go off. or thats what ive seen on the last 3 wrecked trucks ive found localy.

I get a pretty good discount from the deal and there still to high.
Yeah $15 isn't bad but I don't want to start over with something already 10 years old whether it's cracking or not. I'm just going to do a cover.
Soundguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Member # 20276
Location: Montgomery, TX
Posts: 2,041
So on the trademotion how do you get the picture of the parts to pull up. They only wanted 235 for the dash cover. I think mine wat to dryrouted to use one of them glue on ones.
__________________
01 RAM 2500 24V CUMMINS DD/Krawlerhauler
85 Yota Buggy 4.3/tb350/x2ler/2.5tons/42"s
Ramrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
braxton357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Member # 14685
Location: morganton/charlotte,nc
Posts: 4,697
Send a message via AIM to braxton357
Fits great. Where my pass. airbag cutoff switch is, there was a (pretty sweet) flip-open 12v outlet...so I cut the plastic "rivets" off and removed it. Pretty sure it's the same thing the dealership uses, just far far cheaper. Was packed in the same mopar bag/box that the one at the parts dept was in.
__________________
In vino veritas

70 turbocharged 351w fastback mustang
73 linked 5.8efi Bronco
99 QCLB 4x4 twin'd cummins on meth.
braxton357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
braxton357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Member # 14685
Location: morganton/charlotte,nc
Posts: 4,697
Send a message via AIM to braxton357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrock View Post
So on the trademotion how do you get the picture of the parts to pull up. They only wanted 235 for the dash cover. I think mine wat to dryrouted to use one of them glue on ones.
Start by going to oemdodgeparts.com then go from there.
__________________
In vino veritas

70 turbocharged 351w fastback mustang
73 linked 5.8efi Bronco
99 QCLB 4x4 twin'd cummins on meth.
braxton357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Community Organizer
 
Soundguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member # 32677
Location: Conroe Texas
Posts: 3,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by braxton357 View Post
Fits great. Where my pass. airbag cutoff switch is, there was a (pretty sweet) flip-open 12v outlet...so I cut the plastic "rivets" off and removed it. Pretty sure it's the same thing the dealership uses, just far far cheaper. Was packed in the same mopar bag/box that the one at the parts dept was in.
My truck has the 12 volt outlet because I don't have a pass airbag cutoff. I'm going to order the bezel and a dash cover tomorrow morning, can't wait to get things looking like new again.
Soundguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Member # 20276
Location: Montgomery, TX
Posts: 2,041
Hey let me call that place in houston tommorow and see if they have them dash for 98 to 01 dodges.
__________________
01 RAM 2500 24V CUMMINS DD/Krawlerhauler
85 Yota Buggy 4.3/tb350/x2ler/2.5tons/42"s
Ramrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:52 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Member # 107
Location: Pollock Pines Ca
Posts: 14,149
Send a message via AIM to The Jerk Send a message via MSN to The Jerk Send a message via Yahoo to The Jerk
im going to buy a cover from genos garage. just cant decide on soft or molded. ugggg
__________________
RockZombie:68FJ40 LPG350/420/300/60/70
69FJ40 350/stock | 46CJ2a 289/stock | 70FJ55 350
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:55 PM   #20 (permalink)
Community Organizer
 
Soundguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member # 32677
Location: Conroe Texas
Posts: 3,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
im going to buy a cover from genos garage. just cant decide on soft or molded. ugggg
Which ones are you looking at? What is the soft cover made out of? Is it just something like carpet?
Soundguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:17 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Member # 2331
Location: Paranoia
Posts: 540
Why not just use a dashmat? $30 or so, and it covers the cracks.

I have done this with our '76 duster, and all my trucks. I even put a dashmat into my '67 mustang after a ripped the crappy padded dash out. All that was there was the dashmat, and that's how she sits now. I plan on getting tswo more for the F350's we currently have (no cracks in the dash, just a cover to prevent it).
Warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:26 PM   #22 (permalink)
Community Organizer
 
Soundguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member # 32677
Location: Conroe Texas
Posts: 3,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
Why not just use a dashmat? $30 or so, and it covers the cracks.

I have done this with our '76 duster, and all my trucks. I even put a dashmat into my '67 mustang after a ripped the crappy padded dash out. All that was there was the dashmat, and that's how she sits now. I plan on getting tswo more for the F350's we currently have (no cracks in the dash, just a cover to prevent it).
I thought about that but the cracks in the dash now are starting to vibrate when at idle. It's a loud as 12 valve Cummins so it's not exactly a smooth idle. I need to somehow stop that and I figured gluing a cover down over it would solve 2 problems... kill the noise and cover up the cracks.
Soundguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:37 PM   #23 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
rpm4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Member # 19733
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 818
This must not happen in the northern states. Ive never seen a cracked dodge dash, and I work at a service shop. I wonder if you would have better luck buying one up here and shipping it back.
__________________
Yes, I drive a big ATV http://www.rpm4x4.com/specs-mike.shtml

You dont know if your wrong till your upside-down.
rpm4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:58 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Member # 20276
Location: Montgomery, TX
Posts: 2,041
Probly half the dodges from 98 and to 01. I seen have crank dashs. Its a big problem here in texas from the hot sunny summers we have.
__________________
01 RAM 2500 24V CUMMINS DD/Krawlerhauler
85 Yota Buggy 4.3/tb350/x2ler/2.5tons/42"s
Ramrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:15 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2001
Member # 4878
Location: Bremerton, WA
Posts: 7,668
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
I've never seen the problem up this way either.

Buying an older one from up north sounds like it may work too.

Last edited by Travis Waldher; 01-08-2008 at 03:18 PM.
Travis Waldher is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.