Brake Controler Q - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2002, 10:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 6002
Send a message via ICQ to Toy 4Runner Man Send a message via AIM to Toy 4Runner Man
Brake Controler Q

What do U all think about this controler? http://www.brakecontroller.com/sentinel.htm

Thanks
Old 07-01-2002, 06:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 2129
I run that one. It does the job just fine.

Huge thanks to Ballistic Fab, ADS shocks, Pro Diesel, Bulldog winch, Desert Rat Off Road Centers, BFG Tires and all my friends and family
JackA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2002, 08:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator

Member # 8
I need to add a controler to my tow rig, that one looks good. How's it work? Pretty stable, or hard to get set right?
>"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men."
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 10:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 107
Send a message via AIM to The Jerk Send a message via MSN to The Jerk Send a message via Yahoo to The Jerk
i have the drawtite activator 2 model digital display and thumb roller adjustment, uhaul seemed to have teh best price! jiMMy
Old 07-01-2002, 03:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Well Done Man!

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn Send a message via AIM to welndmn Send a message via Yahoo to welndmn
I have the voyager

its the lower model, I love it, I had a draw tie and it just never seemed work smoothly,
the Tekonsha ones are supposed to be the best, i like mine, i trust it so much I let Stacie tow the horse trailers with it
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 05:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 324
I have the Tekonsha voyager in my personal truck and my work truck and i love them. With the level adjustment you can adjust it a little out of level to make the brakes come in earlier if you want. I do it depending on the load and conditions. Just dont test your trailer brake breakaway system with it hooked up as it will the controller.
Old 07-02-2002, 04:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 3235
I haven't used the brake controller mentioned but I wanted to throw in my opinion on the Tekonsha Prodigy. I've got one love it. Super smooth, very adjustable, works properly in both forward and reverse, proportional braking (no jarring stops or locked up wheels).

Prodigy Brake Controller

There is no replacement for displacement!
J Bruce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 04:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 4500
can you use the trailer brakes with out the controller???

My Dodge has the wiring from the factory....(with a spot on the plug that sais electric brakes).....do i need a controller to add into that?
[URL="http://www.we-rock.cc/team_list.php?wts=show&wvalue=181"]We-Rock #208[/URL]

"Team HBRK" thanks our sponsors.

Driver: Shane Yost
Spotter: Todd Young
Rudezuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 05:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 3101
Quote:
Originally posted by RudeZuk
can you use the trailer brakes with out the controller???

My Dodge has the wiring from the factory....(with a spot on the plug that sais electric brakes).....do i need a controller to add into that?
Did your truck come from the factory with the tow package ? I have a 2001 Dodge that did not have the towing package and it still had the plug under the dash. The only problem is the wires for the trailer brakes don't go anywere, or at least thats whatt the mechanic at the dealer told me. The plug does have some of the wiring done for you. It's allready connected to the trucks brake wiring. If you did have the tow package than all you need is the plug, you can get that were you but the controller. Just connect the wires from the plug to the contoller and your ready to go.

btw, I guess you put the 60 and 70 under your truck since the off-road only came in the 1500's.
flimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 09:20 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 4500
Quote:
Originally posted by flimmy

Did your truck come from the factory with the tow package ? I have a 2001 Dodge that did not have the towing package and it still had the plug under the dash. The only problem is the wires for the trailer brakes don't go anywere, or at least thats whatt the mechanic at the dealer told me. The plug does have some of the wiring done for you. It's allready connected to the trucks brake wiring. If you did have the tow package than all you need is the plug, you can get that were you but the controller. Just connect the wires from the plug to the contoller and your ready to go.

btw, I guess you put the 60 and 70 under your truck since the off-road only came in the 1500's.
Yeah you are right on the axles.....they are from a 99 3/4 ton diesel............but mine did come with the towing package, plug and everything..............

The question is can i hook that wire, (if it is hot) straight to my brakes? Or do i need to place a brake controller on the inside too?
[URL="http://www.we-rock.cc/team_list.php?wts=show&wvalue=181"]We-Rock #208[/URL]

"Team HBRK" thanks our sponsors.

Driver: Shane Yost
Spotter: Todd Young
Rudezuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 12:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 324
You need to use a controller. The controller will have the same color coded wires to match the wires on your truck with the exception of one wire and the instructions will tell you the right way to hook it up.
Old 07-03-2002, 01:44 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 24
Send a message via ICQ to Lemoore-on
And it lets you control the amount of braking that you get from the trailer brakes. More if your loaded or less if its empty.

I ordered the sentinal yesterday. I have flat towed my rig once and trailered it once without the T brakes, next time we'll see what kind of improvement it makes.

[B][URL=http://www.tinbenders.org]Tinbenders![/URL] [/B]
Lemoore-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 06:35 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 4358
Send a message via Yahoo to FYRMAN
The Sentinel is a good controller. It works just fine, and it's a Tekonsha. The Voyager is better. It's been around forever. Hardly anyone has problems with them. They are kind of a "set it, and forget it" kinda deal. The best in the Tekonsha line is the Prodigy. It has the boost feature, the digital read-out of how much voltage is actually going to the trailer.... It's also removable. If you have more than one rig that needs a controller (but not at the same time) you simply unplug the controller from the harness, slide it out of the cradle, and move it to the next rig. You will have to buy another wiring harness from Tekonsha, but worth the money if you have more than one rig. Those three, in that order, IMHO.

The Draw-Tite is a good controller. For an all electric controller, they are one of my favorites. The only thing I don't care for is that they have that roller wheel to adjust the power. I can't just look down at the controller and get an idea of where the controller is set. You have to wait till you have to stop and read how high the numbers go. The Reese Brakeman Compact is just the same as the Draw-Tite, but it doesn't have the digital read-out, and it has a slide lever instead of the roller wheel. That way you can just look and see where the controller is set.

To pick a controller to go in my rig is a toss-up. I'd either spend the bucks and get the Prodigy, or go cheaper and get the Voyager. For simplicity, easy of operation, and something that doesn't look like it just came off of the Star Trek set, I'd go with the Voyager.
Old 07-04-2002, 10:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 4228
Send a message via AIM to AGGIECJ-7
i got mine from Tractor Supply. i dont think it was anywhere near $70 though. if i remember correctly it was around 40 or so....It works great once you get it set right...i have even locked up the trailer breaks by hand when i was testing it out...
02 Ram 2500 - Cummins, 4x4, 6spd
AGGIECJ-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 11:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 347
Drop the change and go for one of the 'smart' controller that vary power to the brakes based on the amount of deceleration, or the amount your brake pedal is depressed.

Tekonsha Prodigy: http://www.bargman.com/tekcat/prodigy.html#
a solid-state accelerometer-based controller

Jordan Ultra 2020: http://www.jordanbrake.com
a cable-actuated progressive controller

...the Prodigy is more portable.

In my experience, most regular brake controllers either give you to little or too much braking most of the time. You end up setting them high on the gain to avoid rearending someone when you really need them. Also, most regular controllers don't actuate the trailer brakes when going backwards.

Randii
- KOH Pledge Drive: for 4405 KOH Pledge #4
randii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 08:19 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 19304
Send a message via MSN to gipper Send a message via Yahoo to gipper
Quote:
Originally Posted by randii
Drop the change and go for one of the 'smart' controller that vary power to the brakes based on the amount of deceleration, or the amount your brake pedal is depressed.

Tekonsha Prodigy: http://www.bargman.com/tekcat/prodigy.html#
a solid-state accelerometer-based controller

Jordan Ultra 2020: http://www.jordanbrake.com
a cable-actuated progressive controller

...the Prodigy is more portable.

In my experience, most regular brake controllers either give you to little or too much braking most of the time. You end up setting them high on the gain to avoid rearending someone when you really need them. Also, most regular controllers don't actuate the trailer brakes when going backwards.

Randii
How's that? Those cheapo controllers just activate the trailer brakes based on whether the brake lights are on or not.

I'm trying to decide to spend the money on the prodigy, but I'm just wondering if it will work as flawlessly as one of the el cheapos with the manual level adjustment.
Old 04-17-2005, 03:04 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 13384
Send a message via AIM to SolidAxleDurango
Quote:
Originally Posted by gipper
....I'm trying to decide to spend the money on the prodigy, but I'm just wondering if it will work as flawlessly as one of the el cheapos with the manual level adjustment.
Don't waste your time pondering it. Just get the Prodigy. Yes it works great.

If $100 (ebay specials are readily available) is too much, and you ~need~ to go cheaper, then may I suggest another hobby ??? j/k.