Flat tow question - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2002, 05:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 7056
Post Flat tow question

Ok I got tired of sleeping in tents when we go out in the desert and last night I bought a new (to me) 30' class A. It has a welded hitch rated class V but the rig is only rated to tow 4500 pounds. I wheel a grand cherokee (long arms, etc.) so now I need to drag it behind the RV. I messured and from the shackles on my bumber to the hitch on the RV is about 24" vertical difference. All the tow bars I have seen are supposed to run horizontal (+ or - 3"). Any Ideas on how to fab up a tow bar that would work? I don't like the idea of flipping a 20" drop hitch off the RV seems like way too much leverage.

and don't say I need a trailer. My rig is allready over wieght to pull behind the RV, much more so if I added a 1500# trailer.

Thanks
JEff
Old 07-01-2002, 08:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 5745
Tow Hitch

I flat tow my fj40 everywhere....I tow it with a dodge ram 1500 2001. I had to flip my hitch upsidedown it is about 8". I havent had any problem with it...i think the leverage thing would be the same amount weather it is right side up or not...the best thing is to go ahead and tow it locally and see how it does...i do agree that it has to be as horizontal as possible....the only other thing would be to lower the mounts on the towed rig, i have seen some cars being towed behind RVs that had a device mounted below the car that the tow bar connected to..hope this helps
YellowCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2002, 08:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 422
Cool

I have a pin together tow bar from WalMart that drops about 6-8", then I've got my 4" drop receiver bar upside down for 6" of lift. It makes the hitch level with the ball on my dually.
Formula Toy #006; Thanks to Deaver Spring, High Angle Driveline, Longfields, Rock Buggy Supply, PRP Seats, Marlin Crawler, Coast Motor Supply and RockStomper.

[url=http://www.tinbenders.org]TinBenders.org[/url]
RE:Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 10:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Well Done Man!

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn Send a message via AIM to welndmn Send a message via Yahoo to welndmn
Damn i wish i had a pic
I use a 24 inch drop hitch i made, flipped around to flat tow
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 11:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 7056
Thanks for the replies,

Mark, you use a 24" drop hitch flipped? Guess I don't have to much to worry about. Did you use any bracing on your drop hitch? I am thinking of welding up a drop (lift) hitch and using reciever stock instead of a ball, so that I actually wind up with a reciever 24" up from the current location, that would allow a surge brake in the new removable reciever, and be dead level with my current d-rings so I can rig a tow bar off the existing tow points. Just not sure now how to brace it without it sticking to far out the back.

Thanks again for the advice
Jeff
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 01:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Well Done Man!

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn Send a message via AIM to welndmn Send a message via Yahoo to welndmn
The reciver part is solid 2x2
the tounge is 3/4 plate with a bend at the top, and a 3/4 plate uses as a brace along the front of it.
I wish i had a pic
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 04:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 7412
you need to be carefull with that motor home, they have a very long over hang and some time you can turn to quick and get the towed rig wheels cocked off all the way right or left. i have seen it happed many times. other wise have get it. mike