318 Detroit TD/Replacing Fire Rings - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2002, 11:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 10853
318 Detroit TD/Replacing Fire Rings

I am considering purchasing a Dodge Cabover w/ a Detroit 318 Turbo Diesel, a Road Racer(?) 10spd, and dual axles. The Truck has 70k on the stock drivetrain, but the 318 has a blown head gasket, or its equivalent, a fire ring? I don't have much experience with diesels, but I'm a DIY'er so I couldn't imagine buying this old piece of Iron and bringing it to a shop. Im trying to gauge how big of a project this would be. Anybody know of a source for a Ring kit? Is this something your average wrencher can do? or does it require special equipment/skills? What kind of mileage and power should I expect from this beast?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-08-2002, 05:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 7430
Mike.

I didn't realise Dodge had a large cabover like that, but anyhow.

Odds are better then 50% percent you will need a CDL to operate that rig. It's a pain in the ASS to get. You also have to allow for yearly inspection fees, increased upkeep, keeping logs, ect, ect, ect.

The motor you have is a 6V-53T Detroit. Its a V-6, 2 cycle supercharged motor with one or maybe two turbo's (a twin turbo is a 6V-53TT) Probably about 150 horsepower. Good mileage, good durability. Unfortunatly a T is louder then hell, especially in a COE. Extreme cold starts are a little difficult. DD's don't lug as well as a standard diesel, but keep them in the turbo and you fly.
One other thing: DD's do not use a seperate injector pump. Each injector meter's its own fuel. They are complex, finicky to adjust and a bitch to rebuild. The plus side is once they are adjusted, they run like a top, and if you lose an injector, you can still run the motor.

The tranny is a Fuller (NOT Eaton-Fuller) Road Ranger. ten speed two layer crashbox.
Most are direct, but there a a couple models of OD

Not sure what a "fire ring" is. Head gaskets are a model of simplicity to install, but you NEED a manual. There are very specific steps to taking a head off a diesel, if you foul up, you have an instant door stop.

Unless you have built several motors before, I would not recommend you try to re-ring the motor, if that is what it needs. If you need to do that, you might as well reline the cylinders (special puller), re-bearing the bottom end (huge torque wrench), rebuild the injectors (have a shop do this), check on the blowers, and have a fresh motor.

Matt

4-53T
3-71N
6V-71
Old 07-08-2002, 05:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 11392
Close but no cigar on the engine specs Mick a 318 Jimmy is a 8V71. The rest of what you said is straight though. And you'll need a Class A licence with air brake endorsement to drive that thing.
70~K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 08:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 7430
Quote:
Originally posted by 70~K5
Close but no cigar on the engine specs Mick a 318 Jimmy is a 8V71.
run the numbers:

8 x 71 = 588 cid
6 x 53 = 318 cid
Old 07-08-2002, 11:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 11392
The 318 was the horsepower. I drove them many times 20 uyears ago. Now I drive a 425 cat. That's 425 hp/ 1450 ft lbs torque. The cat is a 14 liter motor 3406B. Most Class eight truck motors are refered to by the make and horsepower not displacment. A small cam 350 cummins is a 855 CI motor that puts out 350Hp. If you didn't know that what else don't you know about big truck motors? Most people that have been around class 8 trucks for more than a day or two know this shit.
Old 07-09-2002, 06:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 7430
Quote:
The 318 was the horsepower. I drove them many times 20 uyears ago. Now I drive a 425 cat. That's 425 hp/ 1450 ft lbs torque. The cat is a 14 liter motor 3406B. Most Class eight truck motors are refered to by the make and horsepower not displacment. A small cam 350 cummins is a 855 CI motor that puts out 350Hp. If you didn't know that what else don't you know about big truck motors? Most people that have been around class 8 trucks for more than a day or two know this shit.
Very true on the horsepower designations. However, I've heard the 6v53 called a 318 FAR more times than I've heard a 8v71 called that. Besides, Mike posted that it IS a turbo, and a TURBO 8v71 puts out MORE then 318 hp, so it isn't a 318 anymore. A 6v-53 displaces 318 CID, whether it is turboed or not.
I think the 6v53/318 thing is mostly due to its history. That motor has seen more use in meduim duty farm/ranch/light industrial trucks than anything. Outside the OTR brotherhood, CID is the premier designator. You get an old farmer toolin' into his local repair shop, He don't give a shit and might not know the HP, but he damn sure knows the CID. "Its a Jimmy 318"

Now, if you want to turn this into a pissing match, go right ahead. I grew up driving and fixing heavy diesels in nearly every application known to man. OTR, ag, industrial. BTDTGFT. I'll put my 20 years against whatever you got.

Matt

BTW, I'm waiting for Mike to post and clear this up.
Old 07-09-2002, 07:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 11392
I bet the thing isn't even turbo'd though they did make 8V71T. He didn't know the right terms for the rest of it either. A coe dodge 3 axle truck is an old muther to start with. They haven't built those for many a year. And I've been drivin' and wrenchin' on class 8 stuff for almost 30 years. I don't think I've even seen a Dodge coe on the road in the last 10 years. If you go into a heavy truck parts place any where I've been and ask for a part for a 318 Jimmy motor, they're going to give you a part for a 8V71. I'd think that old farmer would ask for a part for a 6-53 or a 6V53 not a 318. But maybe they're diferent up your way.
Old 07-09-2002, 07:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 7430
Quote:
I bet the thing isn't even turbo'd though they did make 8V71T. He didn't know the right terms for the rest of it either. A coe dodge 3 axle truck is an old muther to start with. They haven't built those for many a year. I'd think that old farmer would ask for a part for a 6-53 or a 6V53 not a 318. But maybe they're diferent up your way.
well, he said it was turboed, I'm not going to second guess that. I agree on the dodge COE, though. Did dodge make a medium duty COE??? That would be the most likely rig to fit the descrition.
Old 07-09-2002, 10:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 11392
They may have but all the medium duty Dodges I've seen were Conv. The last COE Dodge I remember working with was a O/O that pulled for a company I worked for in '78. And it was a old POS then. I bet this truck is at least 30 years old and in OTR trucks thats really old. Most the 1960 something or older that are worth a shit are Petes, KWs, or Macks and have been gone through by someone. The old Dodges, Fords, IHCs, Jimmys, etc, are rusted out POS now. If they're even around any more. I can buy a 20 year old 3 axle truck that runs good etc for under 4 grand all day long. And to do a inframe on one will cost more than that. Hell just to change a clutch will be at least $500.00 in parts and 12 hrs labor.

Last edited by 70~K5; 07-09-2002 at 10:19 PM.