Pirate 4x4 banner

Spindle replacement on Dexter torsion axle?

28K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  FYRMAN 
#1 ·
I don't see a way to replace these spindles, but it was dark, cold and windy so I probably missed something. Axle is a Dexter torsion axle either 6 or 7k pound capacity. Can these be replaced without buying a whole new axle?

#2 · (Edited)
AXLES - Can I buy just a spindle?
It is against our policy to sell loose spindles for axles. The installation, alignment, and welding of the spindles is the most critical operation in the manufacture of axles. It requires sophisticated alignment fixtures and precision welding to insure the proper attachment. The only recourse is to obtain a new axle beam. On a sprung type axle, this is the tube, spindle, and spring seat. On a Torflex axle, this is the tube, inner bar, rubber suspension, spindle, and bracket assembly.

www.dexteraxle.com

In my experience, if a Torflex axle is bent, it's more than likely not the spindle. It's the parts and peices in the axle housing.

#4 ·
The bearing and washer melted into the spindle nut, and I can't get it to come off. The end of the spindle was glowing bright red when I pulled over, and I had to drive (crawl) about a mile to get it off the road to a place I could work on it. When I stopped there, there was no outer bearing left. I was thinking of maybe cutting the nut, washer and bearing off in hopes of salvaging the spindle, but that doesn't seem likely. I had to leave the trailer there, about 120 miles away.

#7 ·
The bearing and washer melted into the spindle nut, and I can't get it to come off. The end of the spindle was glowing bright red when I pulled over, and I had to drive (crawl) about a mile to get it off the road to a place I could work on it. When I stopped there, there was no outer bearing left.
That heat cycle couldn't have done good things for the metal in the spindle.

If loaded at that heat range, it may already be misaligned. Flop it over 180 degrees and drive the same exact distance the other direction. :flipoff2:

Randii (votes for replacement)

#8 ·
Unload the trailer and pull the drum and you should be able to pull it home on just one wheel on that side.

I have cleaned up axles with torn up bearings, but I sure wasn't comfortable with it. Get it home and change out the axle would be my vote, esspecially if you load it to max capacity often.

#10 ·
So my local trailer place says the spindle alone can't be replaced. If a spindle is fubared, you have to replace the whole axle...then he quoted me ~$900 for a new axle. The other place in town said the same thing, and quoted me $1200:shaking: The trailer isn't even worth that much!

So I went looking on ebay for used torsion axles. No torsion axles, but tons of leaf spring axles for cheap. Complete 7k pound axles with breaks and springs for $309. I think I might be converting to leaf sprung:D

#13 · (Edited)
Had that happen before. I had to torch the race off the spindle. Cleaned the surface with emery cloth, put it back together and ran it for close to a year. Took it apart and the bearings weren't in good shape.

Depending on the damage, you can repair it. It would be less expensive, and easier to repair in the future if the axle were replaced with a leaf spring set up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.