Who pulls 2 rigs at once? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2002, 03:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 857
Who pulls 2 rigs at once?

Who all tows 2 rigs at once? If so what kind of trailer do you have, and what are the specs?(length, hitch type,dual axled, dual tires) I've been shopping for trailers and want to buy the right one the first time. Looking to whole a 3b and and EB on it. If you got pics please post them. Thanks
Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 06:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
CSP

Member # 1533
I do. I have a 24' Superior gooseneck trailer. Dual axles (duh) single wheels. Trailer is rated for 14k. Pics are on the "show your tow rig" thread. If you run a trailer with dual wheels it's going to put you in the weight capacity that's going to require a CDL. If the highway patrol notices it and wants to bust you for it they can even if you don't have the weight on the bed.

Last edited by CSP; 07-11-2002 at 06:32 PM.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2002, 08:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 163
i am planing on towing my toyota and a sammi to colorado,gonna use my uncles 24 dovetail.it has triple axel single,have never pulled so i'm not sure how it will handle...
Old 07-12-2002, 10:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
CSP

Member # 1533
Bill be sure not to make any tight turns. Triple axle trailers do not turn well at all. The tires do more skidding than turning in a turn. Be really careful about where you park etc. so you have room to turn around if needed.
Old 07-12-2002, 03:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 12615
I PULL 2 QUITE REGULARLY. I USE A 3 AXLE, 30' GOOSENECK TRAILER, WHICH CAN CAUSE PROBLEMS WITH THE DOT BUT WE'RE NOT MAKING MONEY AND IT IS OUR OWN TRUCKS SO WE ARE EXEPMT IT JUST DEPENDS ON HOW BIG OF A JERK THEY WANT TO BE. I PULL MY BLAZER AND MY WIFES SUBURBAN, ITS ONE FULL TRAILER BUT IT IS WITHIN THE WEIGHT LIMITS OF THE TRAILER AND TRUCK (1 TON DODGE CUMMINS WITH 5 SPEED) IT GROSSES 27,500#'S AND PULLS GREAT. I ALSO PULL OTHER VEHICLE COMBINATIONS ON THIS TRAILER BUT THIS IS BY FAR THE HEAVIEST. I HAVE ALSO HAULED A TRUCK ON THE BED OF THIS TRUCK (FLAT BED) WITH MY BLAZER ON MY ONE CAR TO MOAB FROM OKLAHOMA, THAT WOKDED AWSOME THE TRUCK WORKED RODE GREAT.
Old 07-12-2002, 07:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 163
Quote:
Originally posted by cmegoup
Bill be sure not to make any tight turns. Triple axle trailers do not turn well at all. The tires do more skidding than turning in a turn. Be really careful about where you park etc. so you have room to turn around if needed.
thanks for the info.if yall don't get some rain i may not make it up there this year.we camp in the national forest out of montrose...
Old 07-12-2002, 08:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 2358
I had a 35' gooseneck trailer built, it is a wedge-design, the jeeps sit a little higher on it, but I think I can fit three rigs on it. it is dual axles, single wheels. My next one will be a standard gooseneck flatbed, I'll prob. but a truck camper on it.

Craig
CrazyCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 12:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 3731
Here's a link to a picture of my trailer with 2 Jeeps on it. It is 30' gooseneck with a 2' dove tail. It is not a deck over, the deck is low just like a regular car hauler. It is a dual axle with brakes on both axles. Pulls like a dream hardly know it's back there.

The second link is a picture of my partner's tow rig and trailer with 3 Jeeps on it, it is a 40' deckover gooseneck with a 5' dove.

http://www.fbfabworks.com/images/NewPics/55.jpg

http://www.fbfabworks.com/images/NewPics/56.jpg

Tom

Last edited by tjs80cj; 07-17-2002 at 12:36 AM.
tjs80cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 11:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 2816
I pull my pile and my friend's toyota behind my chevy. It is 25 feet long 8 feet wide. Just a regular pull behind but is the triple axle single tire. It rides like a caddy with two vehicles but going up steep hills for a long time is a bit of bear. I don't know what the other guy is talking about with turning cause mine turns hella tight, you do drag the rear tires more but so what!
Old 07-17-2002, 12:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
CSP

Member # 1533
Quote:
Originally posted by ECF
I don't know what the other guy is talking about with turning cause mine turns hella tight, you do drag the rear tires more but so what!
It may turn hella tight, but it's hard on the tires and especially the wheel bearings. Wheel bearings aren't made to take the side loads put on them while the tires are dragging. You can also bend an axle pretty easily if you hit something just right while turning tight.
Old 07-17-2002, 01:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
Quote:
Originally posted by tjs80cj
a picture of my partner's tow rig and trailer with 3 Jeeps on it, it is a 40' deckover gooseneck with a 5' dove.

DROOOOOOLLLLL

TEX
Extreme Performance
www.kmelectronics.com
Bear Creek Auto Recyclers
www.svrehorsepower.com
TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 01:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 9482
Warning:
DOT is cracking down on all commercial vehicles, including pick ups with car trailers. It is hard to prove if a profit is being made, so the sting is applying to everyone who meets commercial requirements. The DOT has all kinds of new funds for this, in the name of anti-terrorism. I have seen this first hand because I transport cars and bikes around the country behind my Ford truck.

Couple of CA laws (may be federal also) that require a class A CDL
1. any truck and trailer with combined GVWR of 26000 lbs or more
2. any truck and trailer with combined length of 40 feet or more
3. any trailer with GVWR of 10000 lbs or more
4. any trailer with 3 axles or more

Only exceptions are RV trailers and RV tow rigs

Example that will make most of us law breakers:
1 ton Duallie, crew cab, long bed - cannot legally tow a trailer longer than 15 feet

Another thing: My trailer and truck combinded wieght (with 23 Harleys) is around 32000 lbs. The DOT never questions the Duallie of being over loaded.
EMIEVEL is offline   Reply With Quote