Weekend Test Drive Report - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2002, 05:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Member # 2743
Posts: 537
Post Weekend Test Drive Report

Well, the family and I went around to several dealers to test drive new trucks to find a replacement for my 99 F350 PSD. I wanted to try out a couple gassers along with a 02 PSD. The first truck I drove was a new F250 4x4 6spd Reg Cab with the 5.4 gas engine....it was a short test drive. This engine is a dog in this truck without a load, I couldn't imagine towing anything with it.

Next up, was a new F250 4x4 AT SC with the 6.8 gas engine. This was a nice truck. Better take off power than the PSD and a lot quiter too. I might have been seriously interested in this truck if it had a long bed.

Next up was a 02 F250 PSD 6spd SC. This truck was okay, but I couldn't believe how much louder this engine was that the PSD in my 99 (and I have a str8 pipe). Any power difference was unoticable between my 99 and the 02. A few things I liked was the clutch on the 02 is a LOT lighter, they have better cup holders, and a better airbox is better made than the one on my 99.

I think I'll just keep my 99 for now. It's in great shape and most importantly will be paid off in a couple years. I'd rather order the exact truck I want anyhow, and ordering right now, it would take a LONG time to get my new truck.
bwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 07:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator
 
DRM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Member # 8
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Posts: 35,575
Blog Entries: 1
And can you believe someone tried to tell me a PSD was faster than the V10 off the line?

The V10 is 1000 times more fun to drive too
__________________
>David
> 4x4Spot.com
>It only hurts the first time you agree with me...
>"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men."
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2002, 08:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Member # 2743
Posts: 537
Quote:
Originally posted by DRM
And can you believe someone tried to tell me a PSD was faster than the V10 off the line?

The V10 is 1000 times more fun to drive too
Stock to stock no way is the PSD faster off the line than the V10 (with similarly equiped trucks) not even close. But I'd race a 5.4 with my PSD any day. Now, more fun to drive, I'd have to go with the PSD...it just has that "big rig" feel and sound.
bwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 08:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator
 
DRM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Member # 8
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Posts: 35,575
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally posted by bwright
Now, more fun to drive, I'd have to go with the PSD...it just has that "big rig" feel and sound.
lol

I was behind a Cummins pulling a little enclosed trailer to work this morning, good GAWD the racket that thing was making
__________________
>David
> 4x4Spot.com
>It only hurts the first time you agree with me...
>"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men."
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 08:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Member # 2743
Posts: 537
Quote:
Originally posted by DRM


lol

I was behind a Cummins pulling a little enclosed trailer to work this morning, good GAWD the racket that thing was making
*music to my ears* Heck, that sound is the best thing about the Cummins.
bwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 08:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator
 
DRM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Member # 8
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Posts: 35,575
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally posted by bwright


*music to my ears* Heck, that sound is the best thing about the Cummins.
Maybe you like it, but for our main family vehicle, with sleeping babies in the truck - I'll pass on all that racket
__________________
>David
> 4x4Spot.com
>It only hurts the first time you agree with me...
>"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men."
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 09:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Member # 1169
Location: Antioch, CA.
Posts: 7,124
Send a message via Yahoo to Monkeyboy
I made a 16 hour round trip one day drive with mike in the back seat of his dodge with his two kids one was a toddler.

I think the sound of the cummins actually helped the kid sleep.

The cummins is way quieter then my old 68 VW bug.
__________________
It was even more of a turn on when I found out she was doing me to buy baby formula
Monkeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 09:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Member # 144
Location: Northern Mexico... er.. AriDzona
Posts: 6,867
Quote:
Originally posted by Monkeyboy
I made a 16 hour round trip one day drive with mike in the back seat of his dodge with his two kids one was a toddler.

I think the sound of the cummins actually helped the kid sleep.

The cummins is way quieter then my old 68 VW bug.
Both the little'uns.. and in fact even the 10 yr old falls alseep faster in the dodge than in my wifes car. Go figure. Maybe I just got's 3 little diesel heads? hmmmmm both the 10 yr old and the 18 mo old prefer riding in the truck to my wifes car Oh and btw what you hear outside the cab and what I hear inside with the windows up is two totally different things
__________________
That's because you're a pinko fascist. - Haole
I know what antidisestablishmentarianist means
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 10:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
DSI
Pirate4x4 Addict!
 
DSI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Member # 920
Location: The Land of Debauchery (NV)
Posts: 15,160
Send a message via Yahoo to DSI
Quote:
Originally posted by DRM
And can you believe someone tried to tell me a PSD was faster than the V10 off the line?

The V10 is 1000 times more fun to drive too

David, don't remind me!!! i absolutly LOVE blowing ricer's away off the line with my V10, of course it cost me 3 bucks every time i do it


and @ looking close to 45k in one yr i can't afford to fuel my V10

and witht eh 38k on my V10 and the PSD i test drove the high RPM cab noise was quieter on teh PSD that my V10... that thing sounds like a swarm of pissed off bee's @ 4k!
__________________
Thanks to the companies that make it happen: SPEED Energy, Trent Fab, PRP Seats, PSC, Trail-Gear, MJ Motorsports, Bilstein Shocks
DSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 10:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator
 
DRM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Member # 8
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Posts: 35,575
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally posted by DSI
and witht eh 38k on my V10 and the PSD i test drove the high RPM cab noise was quieter on teh PSD that my V10... that thing sounds like a swarm of pissed off bee's @ 4k!
That's odd... my 2k V10 has over 50k on the ticker right now, and is super quiet....


My 99 SuperCab SUCKED - those rear doors and the lack of a pillar for a good seal made the SuperCab SUPER LOUD, and the additional flex of the body made the interior panels pretty noisy as well

The new CrewCab is quiet as can be though
__________________
>David
> 4x4Spot.com
>It only hurts the first time you agree with me...
>"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men."
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 07:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Member # 163
Location: Village Mills, TX 77663
Posts: 2,629
the engine noise is really quite on my crew cab psd,but the damn door panels rattle

also my dad knows a guy with a psd that will blow away the v-10,but he has done alot of work to it and added propane.so its not stock...
__________________
85 runner with some stuff...
Bill Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 08:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator
 
DRM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Member # 8
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Posts: 35,575
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Collins
the engine noise is really quite on my crew cab psd,but the damn door panels rattle

also my dad knows a guy with a psd that will blow away the v-10,but he has done alot of work to it and added propane.so its not stock...
I am quite sure if I dumped the same ammount of $$$ into a V10 as he has into a PSD the gasser would blow away the PSD if we are talking racing, not towing
__________________
>David
> 4x4Spot.com
>It only hurts the first time you agree with me...
>"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men."
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 08:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Member # 29
Location: Redwood City
Posts: 6,703
DRM, have ou looked into the Duramax Diesel? That thing is quiet and with the 6 speed auto tranny, it really works well. A guy in our club has one, and I gotta say I fell in love with it. Drives like a Tahoe, but with a million times more power.

Dimitri
__________________
1974 FJ40 in the works
2006 F250 crew cab longbed powerstroke for towing duties
Flatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 08:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Member # 163
Location: Village Mills, TX 77663
Posts: 2,629
Quote:
Originally posted by DRM


I am quite sure if I dumped the same ammount of $$$ into a V10 as he has into a PSD the gasser would blow away the PSD if we are talking racing, not towing
oh yea,you don't need near as much money for the gasser...
__________________
85 runner with some stuff...
Bill Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 04:42 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Member # 6943
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 595
Quote:
Originally posted by Flatty
DRM, have ou looked into the Duramax Diesel? That thing is quiet and with the 6 speed auto tranny, it really works well. A guy in our club has one, and I gotta say I fell in love with it. Drives like a Tahoe, but with a million times more power.

Dimitri
My buddy got a Durajap and allison auto and it is faster than my 02 F250 "shorty". He paid alot more and did not get 0%. I think one reason it seems faster is the closer gear ratios, but Ford is taking care of that with the new diesel coming out.

FYI, the newer Fords can get air in the fuel before the pump. I did some mods to mine and it is ten times quiter now. Check out Forddiesel for more info, I probably should post the mods here
__________________
are you kidding me?
KMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 08:37 AM   #16 (permalink)
TEX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Member # 603
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 14,230
Quote:
Originally posted by KMAN

I think one reason it seems faster is the closer gear ratios, but Ford is taking care of that with the new diesel coming out.

Actually, the Allison doesn't really have real close ratios. First gear is something like 3.10 & then it just to ~1.89 or something like that. Close ratio would be more like a 4L80E which is 2.48, 1.48, 1.00, .75

TEX
__________________
www.probog.com
Thanks to:
www.heiseroil.com
Extreme Performance
www.kmelectronics.com
Bear Creek Auto Recyclers
www.svrehorsepower.com
TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 08:51 AM   #17 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator
 
DRM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Member # 8
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Posts: 35,575
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally posted by Flatty
DRM, have ou looked into the Duramax Diesel? That thing is quiet and with the 6 speed auto tranny, it really works well. A guy in our club has one, and I gotta say I fell in love with it. Drives like a Tahoe, but with a million times more power.

Dimitri
No, I haven't. for one - I like the look of the Ford MUCH better, as deos my wife - who is the primary driver. Secondly, I don't buy new - and used Duramax's are not really an option around here.
__________________
>David
> 4x4Spot.com
>It only hurts the first time you agree with me...
>"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men."
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 09:50 AM   #18 (permalink)
Rock God
 
jp junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Member # 7921
Location: Real close to the Hammers.
Posts: 1,163
"I am quite sure if I dumped the same ammount of $$$ into a V10 as he has into a PSD the gasser would blow away the PSD if we are talking racing, not towing"

You wanna race for titles? ;^)
__________________
http://trailsport4x4.com
jp junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 12:14 AM   #19 (permalink)
Poseur SUV
 
Paul Gagnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Member # 610
Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta eh?
Posts: 10,070
Blog Entries: 7
Send a message via ICQ to Paul Gagnon
Quote:
Originally posted by DRM


lol

I was behind a Cummins pulling a little enclosed trailer to work this morning, good GAWD the racket that thing was making
I picked up my '90 Ford yesterday and I can't believe how much quieter the 7.3L is compared to the 6.2L in the Chevy. You should be glad you didn't buy that CUCV.
__________________
Paul Gagnon
Sherwood Park, Alberta eh?
"No Brain, No Pain"
Paul Gagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 06:33 AM   #20 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Member # 429
Location: Reno NV USA
Posts: 895
Talking

Kman, coupla of questions for you. Did you do the pre-pump and tank mods? I just got a new 02 psd 6spd F350 crew cab and checked out the mods. Everyone seems to highly recommend the changes, but I have been looking through the posts for days and no one has the mods written up from a to b and after reading all those posts I started going crosseyed. Then some did only the pre-pump mods and not the tank. It was very hard to keep track of. Mine only has about 900 miles on it now. I would really appreciate a full write up and your opinion of the changes, or anyone else that has done the mods. TIA
__________________
2007 2500hd max/ali with stuff.
2008 FWC Hawk
2006 Jeep LJ Rubicon
locrwln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 07:49 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Member # 2743
Posts: 537
Quote:
Originally posted by locrwln
Kman, coupla of questions for you. Did you do the pre-pump and tank mods? I just got a new 02 psd 6spd F350 crew cab and checked out the mods. Everyone seems to highly recommend the changes, but I have been looking through the posts for days and no one has the mods written up from a to b and after reading all those posts I started going crosseyed. Then some did only the pre-pump mods and not the tank. It was very hard to keep track of. Mine only has about 900 miles on it now. I would really appreciate a full write up and your opinion of the changes, or anyone else that has done the mods. TIA
http://www.dieselinnovations.com/tank-pump-kit.pdf
bwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.