what brake controller do you use? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2002, 08:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 8843
Send a message via AIM to offroadr35
what brake controller do you use?

I use the Jordan Ultima 2020 and couldn't be happier with it.

-Steve
offroadr35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 08:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 324
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...threadid=64602
Old 07-15-2002, 08:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 8843
your point? I'm not asking about the sentinal, i'm asking what controller people use. I highly recommend the Jordan to anyone looking for a controller...it's well worth the $120 and i believe it is undoubtedly the best controller on the market.

-Steve
Old 07-15-2002, 10:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 347
Read the whole post that Nick was kind enough to give you... all the way down to the bottom.

Hell, do a search on Jordan brake controller ...

Or click here (same link as above) on this exact subject in this very forum: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...threadid=64602 ... you might want to read the whole thread, tho -- just the first part deals with the Sentinel.

Personally, I prefer the Prodigy's solid-state electronics to the electro-mechanical Jordan, but i think that both are head and shoulders above other pendulum-based controllers.

Randii
randii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 08:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 324
Thank you Randy. I guess i might have to try one of the high $$$ controllers some day but i am happy with the one i have and i tow almost everyday.
Old 07-17-2002, 11:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 7430
The original, the best: K-H hydro.

Accept no substitutes.

If all you've ever used is electronic contollers, you have no idea what you're missing.
Old 07-17-2002, 01:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 4358
Send a message via Yahoo to FYRMAN
Kelsey-Hayes Hydraulic controller? Are you smokin some really good shit or something? I've pulled out more Kelsey-Hayes controllers (electric and hydraulic) than I care to keep track of.
Old 07-17-2002, 04:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 7430
I've yanked more eletronic controllers of every make and MO then I want to keep track of.

Hydro gives you brakes the brakes you need when you need 'em, and it doesn't get confounded by grades, bumps, curves, engine braking, ect ect.
Old 07-17-2002, 04:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 8843
the jordan unit works very similarly to the hydro units. It applies proportional pressure when you press the brake pedal.

-Steve
Old 07-17-2002, 05:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 7430
Quote:
Originally posted by offroadr35
the jordan unit works very similarly to the hydro units. It applies proportional pressure when you press the brake pedal.

-Steve
Is that the cable operated unit???
In theory, those would beat an eletronic all to hell, I'm leary of cable anything though.
Old 07-17-2002, 06:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 4358
That is one of the problems everyone seems to be having with the Jordan... The cable hangs up. It seems the cable sheath is very picky about what it is lubed with, and they don't like bends.
Old 07-17-2002, 06:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 11392
Hey Mick how does the old Hydro's work with truck that have anti- lock brakes? Any problems there? I have a old one somewhere in the garage somewhere.
70~K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 07:11 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 347
I've yanked more eletronic controllers of every make and MO then I want to keep track of.
Hydro gives you brakes the brakes you need when you need 'em, and it doesn't get confounded by grades, bumps, curves, engine braking, ect ect.

Agreed.... when they work right.

I'm tickled with my little Prodigy --it uses an accelerometer (NOT a pendulum) to give you the right amount of braking, regardless of what angle you are on, which direction you are going, or whether you just hit a big-ass bump. Once you've tried one of these, I can't imagine you'd want to go back to any of the other setups.

Randii
- KOH Pledge Drive: for 4405 KOH Pledge #4
Old 07-17-2002, 07:23 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 347
TESTIMONIAL: While avoiding an 18-wheeler losing his load on the freeway, I towed a heavily laden flat-trailer from one side of the freeway to the other, across a big median ditch. I was on the brakes hard, and the trailer stayed straight behind me as I crossed my lane... I mean to run it down onto the edge of the median and stay straight until I was past him, but his load cut that off. With nowhere to go on my side, and (thankfully) no oncoming traffic, I lifted off the brakes, took the median ditch somewhat airborn (bent two trailer springs when it landed), then came back on the brakes in the other lane of the freeway going the wrong way. That trailer SWAYED hard a couple of times as it landed, but when the trailer rubber hit pavement, it straightened right out, even though the truck and trailer suspensions were still playing pogo after the transitions between roadway, shoulder, median, ditch, shoulder, and then roadway.

With a pendulum electronic controller, I'm sure I would have been picking my load up from the median, and riding a flatbed wrecker away. With the Prodigy, I was able to maintain enough steering to get off to the opposite side with the opportunity to change my shorts and re-strap my load at my leisure.

I'm pretty sure that a hydraulic controller would have done the same (if adjusted well - they can be a bitch) -- same with the Jordan cable-job. I am entirely certain that this wouldn't have worked, though, since I was in a borrowed truck, with my controller and my trailer.

Randii
- KOH Pledge Drive: for 4405 KOH Pledge #4
Old 07-17-2002, 10:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 7430
Quote:
Originally posted by 70~K5
Hey Mick how does the old Hydro's work with truck that have anti- lock brakes? Any problems there? I have a old one somewhere in the garage somewhere.
I've never seen a hydro controller on a ABS truck. I think that is because of the fluctuating pressure as the ABS cycles. If you have something w/ rear only ABS, or could tap into the system before the modulator, you MIGHT be able to make something work. The added fluid displacement might mess with the computer, though.

I'll take that hydro off your hands if you don't have a use for it.
Old 07-17-2002, 10:45 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 7430
Quote:
Originally posted by randii

Agreed.... when they work right.

I'm tickled with my little Prodigy --it uses an accelerometer (NOT a pendulum) to give you the right amount of braking, regardless of what angle you are on, which direction you are going, or whether you just hit a big-ass bump. Once you've tried one of these, I can't imagine you'd want to go back to any of the other setups.

Randii
Other than getting it adjusted when first installed, I've never had a hydro work wrong.

The big thing I like about hydro is the direct relationship between the trailer brakes and the truck brakes. For example, on a loose gravel road, locking the wheels is often the fastest way to stop, since you create a bow wave of dirt and rocks in front of your tires. With a hydro controller, you can stab the brakes and KNOW EXACTLY when the trailer wheels will lock up, know that they will STAY that way, ect ect ect. With any electronic, you are at the mercy of a bundle of gizmos that have no feel for the road conditions.

That same feel works in other situations as well. I KNOW exactly when my trailer brakes will kick in. The electonic contollers, IMO, are just the same as training wheels, or help windows on a computer. Excellent for the neophyte, but they just get in the way of experianced operators.
Old 07-17-2002, 11:35 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 504
Send a message via AIM to Red Chevy Girl Send a message via Yahoo to Red Chevy Girl
I have a prodigy made by Tekonsha which is digital and applys the brakes as needed but is adjustable to how much brake to apply in the end, it goes by the deceleration rate. I have only had good experience with this one and I tow everything from my truck to huge loads of cattle.
02 F250 Diesel
Red Chevy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 08:24 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 347
The big thing I like about hydro is the direct relationship between the trailer brakes and the truck brakes.
I understand EXACTLY how they work -- the Jordan is a different way to the same ends -- proportional braking. The Prodigy is yet another way to get to this end, but with no direct connection to the brakes... tough to explain, but it is no pendulum.

The only way to really compare would be to run identical trucks and identical loads -- the only difference being the controller -- over the same terrain. I'm betting that the Jordan, hydro, and Prodigy would be clustered pretty tightly together, with pendulum-based controllers significantly farther down the road when finally stopped.

I have few miles in a truck with hydro trailer brakes (other than surge), so I can't comment.... but I do wonder how you differentiate 'trailer brake feel' from 'tow vehicle brake feel.' I can't see that coming through the pedal -- so I'm guessing you'd get that through the chassis.... and if that's the case, then ANY controller should give you most of that.

Randii
Old 07-18-2002, 03:29 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 7430
Quote:

. but I do wonder how you differentiate 'trailer brake feel' from 'tow vehicle brake feel.' I can't see that coming through the pedal --
i
It happens that same way you feel the difference between sand and asphalt when you step on them.
you can't describe it, you just know it.
Old 07-19-2002, 12:32 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 9994
i have a Draw-Tite Activator 2 and love it. it works the same, every single time. i've pulled with some of the other brands and like the Activator 2 the best.

i think brake controllers are like trucks, everyone has an opinion as to which is the best. i don't care, just don't run into me or kill somebody because your $50 brake controller screwed up.

matt
1994 RAM 1500 4x4

Custom Fabrication Parts:
[url]www.troutindustries.com[/url]
jeepnmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 08:21 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 4358
Quote:
but I do wonder how you differentiate 'trailer brake feel' from 'tow vehicle brake feel.' I can't see that coming through the pedal -- so I'm guessing you'd get that through the chassis.... and if that's the case, then ANY controller should give you most of that.

Randii

There is a definite feel, and it comes through the chassis, and movement of the suspension. Not through the pedal.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:39 PM   #22 (permalink)
Big Meanie

Member # 5859
Quote:
Originally posted by FYRMAN

There is a definite feel, and it comes through the chassis, and movement of the suspension. Not through the pedal.
Talk about the way back machine, Peabody.

- The lush life-giving land, our personal responsibility.

Ventura County Axle Snappers - Nevada County Chapter
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 10:03 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 4358
Quote:
Originally posted by eurobob

Talk about the way back machine, Peabody.

Somebody dug up a search on brake controllers and I didn't get to see the last half of this thread.