5th wheel or motorhome? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2002, 05:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 616
5th wheel or motorhome?

I've got a 2001 Dodge dually diesel as a tow rig. I originally bought it because I was planning on getting a toy hauler, but I couldn't find the one I really wanted and prices were way high. So I ended up getting rid of my Class C motorhome and got a nice Bounder Class A. When I go camping I use the MH as the tow rig but when it's just around town I use the truck.

I like the motorhome but there's just not enough space in it... I've been thinking about getting rid of my car hauler and going with a 20ft enclosed trailer. That'd give me a few extra feet at the front that I could put some of the Toy Hauler beds in (that fold up against the wall) and some other amenities for motorhome overflow (2 kids from both 1st and 2nd marriage, and my GF has 2 kids).

If I did go with the enclosed trailer and kept the MH then I'd probably want to upgrade it with a Banks and maybe a GV.

Or... I've been thinking again about going to a big 5th wheel. I don't have the cash right now but I still like the idea of getting a 40+ foot 5th wheel and having it customized to include a separate garage in the rear and then living quarters in the front. If I did that I know I'd need to upgrade my truck too with a jake brake and a GV, and probably some performance stuff.

Anyway, I'm interested in everyone elses thoughts and opinions.
Old 07-18-2002, 09:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 422
Re: 5th wheel or motorhome?

Quote:
Originally posted by brett
I've got a 2001 Dodge dually diesel as a tow rig. I originally bought it because I was planning on getting a toy hauler, but I couldn't find the one I really wanted and prices were way high. So I ended up getting rid of my Class C motorhome and got a nice Bounder Class A. When I go camping I use the MH as the tow rig but when it's just around town I use the truck.

I like the motorhome but there's just not enough space in it... I've been thinking about getting rid of my car hauler and going with a 20ft enclosed trailer. That'd give me a few extra feet at the front that I could put some of the Toy Hauler beds in (that fold up against the wall) and some other amenities for motorhome overflow (2 kids from both 1st and 2nd marriage, and my GF has 2 kids).

If I did go with the enclosed trailer and kept the MH then I'd probably want to upgrade it with a Banks and maybe a GV.

Or... I've been thinking again about going to a big 5th wheel. I don't have the cash right now but I still like the idea of getting a 40+ foot 5th wheel and having it customized to include a separate garage in the rear and then living quarters in the front. If I did that I know I'd need to upgrade my truck too with a jake brake and a GV, and probably some performance stuff.

Anyway, I'm interested in everyone elses thoughts and opinions.
Nothing personnel Brett, but you suck . My opinion is talk to DesertToy, he has the big 5th that he loads his buggy into. I think you should give me your rig trailer since we are neighbors.
Formula Toy #006; Thanks to Deaver Spring, High Angle Driveline, Longfields, Rock Buggy Supply, PRP Seats, Marlin Crawler, Coast Motor Supply and RockStomper.

[url=http://www.tinbenders.org]TinBenders.org[/url]
RE:Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2002, 09:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 616
Re: Re: 5th wheel or motorhome?

Quote:
Originally posted by Todd
Nothing personnel Brett, but you suck . My opinion is talk to DesertToy, he has the big 5th that he loads his buggy into. I think you should give me your rig trailer since we are neighbors.
Yeah, it sounds awesome... but my POS rig still isn't running after (over!) a year and a ton of money. Got some sort of problem with the wiring and can't get spark. So, I just haul it around but can't drive it! Where are you located? I'm in Rancho Bernardo.
Old 07-19-2002, 05:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
FWIW, the guys at the mud races are all going to long gooseneck trailers pulled by dually's (well, except the rich bastards with semi's). I would say most of them did kind of what you said, bought the trailer w/o living quarters & added what they wanted. Some just have beds or fold-down bunks, while others have full-on amenities.

TEX
Extreme Performance
www.kmelectronics.com
Bear Creek Auto Recyclers
www.svrehorsepower.com
TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 06:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 12393
Checkout this site they have some 5th wheels already configured.

http://www.a1warriortrailers.com/

Also, Featherlight has some really fine 5th wheels, but the are really big $$$$$$$$$$. I have a friend in Phoenix who's dad has a Featherlight 40 ft 5th wheel with quarters at the front and it has a popout to make it even more spacious. Beautifully rig.

88 YJ, 350TPI, 700R4, D300 4:1, rear SOA D44 w/Warn floating axles, coil front D44 w/Warn Axles
nobody20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 12:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 616
Quote:
Originally posted by TEX
FWIW, the guys at the mud races are all going to long gooseneck trailers pulled by dually's (well, except the rich bastards with semi's). I would say most of them did kind of what you said, bought the trailer w/o living quarters & added what they wanted. Some just have beds or fold-down bunks, while others have full-on amenities.

TEX
I like the idea of having the 5th wheel because then I don't have to worry about another drivetrain. That and it'd be cool to come back from a weekend trip and just leave the Jeep in the trailer if I didn't feel like unloading right then. Having the truck to drive to town or whatever, when camping, would be pretty nice too.
Old 07-19-2002, 12:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 616
Quote:
Originally posted by nobody20
Checkout this site they have some 5th wheels already configured.

http://www.a1warriortrailers.com/

Also, Featherlight has some really fine 5th wheels, but the are really big $$$$$$$$$$. I have a friend in Phoenix who's dad has a Featherlight 40 ft 5th wheel with quarters at the front and it has a popout to make it even more spacious. Beautifully rig.
Yep, I looked at those, they are very nice. At the time I couldn't find the door opening size (7 ft) I was looking for and width was a concern too. The top of line Warrior only has a 4k payload... I figure the Jeep weighs that much and after you add all the gear and water I'd probably be 50% over. I was looking at Exiss trailers and the salesman was telling me that if you go over the weight limits for long trips, that eventually you're gonna start having problems.
Old 07-19-2002, 12:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 12393
4k payload. That's hardly enough for a few quads. Spares and tools could easily approach the 4k for me.

88 YJ, 350TPI, 700R4, D300 4:1, rear SOA D44 w/Warn floating axles, coil front D44 w/Warn Axles
nobody20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 06:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 11392
Check this site out they have a heavy duty combo trailer.
http://www.dunlapstrailers.com/LQTrailers.html
70~K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 08:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 422
Cool Re: Re: Re: 5th wheel or motorhome?

Quote:

Where are you located? I'm in Rancho Bernardo.
A mile east of Qualcomm (Jack Murphy) Stadium .
Formula Toy #006; Thanks to Deaver Spring, High Angle Driveline, Longfields, Rock Buggy Supply, PRP Seats, Marlin Crawler, Coast Motor Supply and RockStomper.

[url=http://www.tinbenders.org]TinBenders.org[/url]
RE:Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 08:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 616
Quote:
Originally posted by 70~K5
Check this site out they have a heavy duty combo trailer.
http://www.dunlapstrailers.com/LQTrailers.html
Those are nice! I'd like to get one like that but I sure don't need a 29' shop area... 19' would be fine and use the rest for living quarters. I'm gonna contact them and see if they do any custom work.
Old 07-19-2002, 09:08 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 616
Re: Re: Re: Re: 5th wheel or motorhome?

Quote:
Originally posted by Todd
A mile east of Qualcomm (Jack Murphy) Stadium .
How was Sky Show this year?
Old 07-19-2002, 09:13 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 11392
Quote:

Those are nice! I'd like to get one like that but I sure don't need a 29' shop area... 19' would be fine and use the rest for living quarters. I'm gonna contact them and see if they do any custom work.
Old 07-19-2002, 09:16 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 11392
If you look around their page I think there's a custom area. I found them and others in the sale mag. Truck, Race, Cycle, and Rec. Marketplace (www.dealsonwheels.com) is the mags web page

Quote:

Old 08-05-2002, 02:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 12158
Nice Hauler available!

I'm to much of a PC dummy to post a picture but interested people can e-mail me.

I basically bought a clean used aluminum framed (stiff and light) 22' fifth wheel. I then sub framed the whole thing from the pin box back (I'm an experienced engineer and fabricator), added a 17' dovetailed diamond plate deck, a couple torsion axles, you get the idea.

40' front to back, 33 foot of floor, My Jeep and quad fit on the deck easily. less than 20k down the road with my Dodge/Cummins. Has over 12000 miles on it (no bugs to work out- acutally, there weren't any). 1500-2000 lbs hich weight depending on load. This hauler is clean and hauls well, aero nose, relatively light etc. I will deliver. asking $14,000.

Hauler will be at Cedar City Prorock next month and the Supercrawl the month after.

TEX- maybe one of your midwest mud drag dudes??

I like that the Jeep and the dirt stay outside and my wife likes that the camper stays clean inside. The camper is a lot more "Homey" than the utility minded toy boxes- and you don't have to unload everything to camp in it.

Ken Blume
Go2Guy Engineering
Team #192/4192

Thanks to our partners

Maxxis, Trail-Gear, Yukon Gear, Goatbuilt, Tom Woods Custom Driveshafts, Ruffstuff specialties, Warn Winch, Rokit Enterprises, Viair, Edge Perf., Branik Motorsports, PRP seats, 12V unlimited, Bailie built, Alltech, Raceline
Go2Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 03:33 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 616
Ken sent me a pic and here's a link to it. Hauler

Because of the issues I'm having with my truck, I'm gonna stick with the MH for awhile, but this seems like a pretty good deal to me.
Old 08-05-2002, 06:42 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 4358
Send a message via Yahoo to FYRMAN
www.silverlite.com is another option.
Old 08-05-2002, 07:37 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
Holy shit!

http://www.silverlite.com/car/st/index.html

Talk about tall trailers!
Travis Waldher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 11:30 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 616
Quote:
Originally posted by twaldher
Holy shit!

http://www.silverlite.com/car/st/index.html

Talk about tall trailers!
No kidding, that's pretty damn tall! It's nice to know that you can get stuff custom built though... if my truck worked right and I had the money I'd be looking seriously at some of these trailers. I like Exiss too. http://www.exiss.com/Products/Car__M...ut_models.html