Truck tires or trailer tires? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2008, 04:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 12548
Truck tires or trailer tires?

I've been reading about the differences between truck vs. trailer tires.

From what I can gather the basic construction is similar but the truck tires "should" be tougher because they are meant to handle the extra stresses of being a drive or steering tire.

So why a trailer tire?

Just looking for practical first hand experience from those who have run both.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 4358
Send a message via Yahoo to FYRMAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnJeep View Post
I've been reading about the differences between truck vs. trailer tires.

From what I can gather the basic construction is similar but the truck tires "should" be tougher because they are meant to handle the extra stresses of being a drive or steering tire.

So why a trailer tire?

Just looking for practical first hand experience from those who have run both.
Sirch. Been covered alot already. The sidewalls are constructed differently.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 49181
Trailer tires go on trailers. Truck tires go on trucks.

Auto's see wind everytime you drive. Usually between 30 mph to 80 mph winds. The paint doesn't peel off, it stays on pretty good. Well hell, I think I'll paint my house with auto paint next time.

Check out PARAphernalia GEAR for 550 Paracord and items

www.sneveysoffroad.com/

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here--> www.lugnut4x4.com
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 12548
While I tend to agree with "the right part for the right job" mentality most of the time this topic seems odd to me.

From the reading that I've done, not here but on the net, I've heard more horror stories about trailer tires shredding than those using truck LT tires. Don't remember brand names. Could have all been the same brand.

The reason I ask is I found a set of truck tires with a load range E for a better price than similar trailer tires. And doing a comparison the truck tires seemed to be a better deal.

Which tows better? Trailer or similar rated truck tire?

Perhaps the point is moot. I'll have to check to see if there is a local law against running truck tires on a trailer. Would suck if I used truck tires and had an accident only to find out it was against the law. Wrong tire for application.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 25349
Send a message via AIM to mondtster
Quote:
Originally Posted by FYRMAN View Post
Sirch. Been covered alot already. The sidewalls are constructed differently.
Yep. There are loads placed on trailer tires which a normal car tire will likely never see which is why the sidewalls are different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnJeep View Post
From the reading that I've done, not here but on the net, I've heard more horror stories about trailer tires shredding than those using truck LT tires. Don't remember brand names. Could have all been the same brand.

Which tows better? Trailer or similar rated truck tire?
I've always wondered about trailer tires too. It sure seems like trailers have a lot more blowouts than trucks/cars do.

I've towed trailers that have had trailer tires and I've towed trailers that have had truck tires. Unfortunately I haven't towed the same trailer with both types of tires, but I wasn't able to tell the difference between similar trailers with the two different types of tires.
mondtster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondtster View Post
Yep. There are loads placed on trailer tires which a normal car tire will likely never see which is why the sidewalls are different.

I've always wondered about trailer tires too. It sure seems like trailers have a lot more blowouts than trucks/cars do.
Probably because trailers are usually neglected for long periods between uses with less preventative maintenance
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 55997
I've had both on my trailer. I couldn't really tell the difference but I'm glad to have trailer tires, mostly because of the "right tool for the job" philosophy.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 52028
I can get a new trailer tire and rim that match what's on my trailer now, from the dealer, for $70. It costs $90 to buy a trailer tire and have it mounted at the local tire store. A good truck tire costs about $120-140 mounted.
dubbyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 845
There is no doubt in my mind that the LT truck tires are manufactured better and are more durable than most "trailer tires" I've seen. Never had a problem with the LT stuff on goosenecks and they seem to run smoother too. I would run a Michelin 16" trailer tire if I could find one at a reasonable price.

Trailer Guy - What's the best heavy duty trailer tire out there?
CJ Lagos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:47 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 20092
It's all about keeping very close tabs on tire pressure and not hitting shit on the roads. Avoid potholes, curbs, debris, ect and don't do super sharp turns with a load on the trailer. Keep your speeds reasonable too. 80 mph is a lot to ask of any tire that is heavily loaded (not to mention extremely inefficient)

I'm running the same set of Marathons I bought new in 1999 after an awful trip from Moab to Orlando. I went through 4 car style tires on the trailer before I made it home on that trip. One would blow, and then after changing that one, the other tire on the same side would let go because it got bitch slapped by the first one going out. That sucked donkey balls.

I put the Marathons on the trailer, and have been super religious about pressures and the tires are still in great condition. I don't pull faster the 70 mph too.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:43 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 106059
I'm glad you have not had any trouble from your Goodyear come-a-parts. I'm switching to the LT truck tires after the $3000 damage to my 5th wheel from the lousy trailer tire that decided to let go. Was inflated to the proper pressure and was being pulled at around 70 mph. We will see how the Firestone Transforce HT's hold up to the task. I've had good luck out of the AT's on my 2500 truck. Go over to the RV forums if you want to see how the trailer tires hold up.
5540jd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 49181
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondtster View Post
Read quote below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidolyons View Post
Probably because trailers are usually neglected for long periods between uses with less preventative maintenance
Plus, because of the way a trailer tracks in corners, the tires tend to take a beating. Curbs, gravel, traveling in parts of the road that usually doesn't get traveled on. I know everyone has seen the corner or intersection that has a bunch of gravel in it and you can see where all the vehicles travel and the pile as gathered up. Well, nails, glass, whatever is on the road also gathers in those spots. Overall, they just get beat on.

__________________________________________________ _______________

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Lagos View Post
Trailer Guy - What's the best heavy duty trailer tire out there?
I know that everyone hates the Goodyear's, but really, when you look at the number sold to the number that had problems, the % wasn't that bad. And most the problems where in the smaller 205/75R15 size, load range C's. The HD tires, load range E's, never seen a problem. Not that they haven't had any, just haven't seen them myself.

Plus, you hear Goodyear's name a lot because people know it. And if one does blow, it's an easy name to remember and people expect a lot from the name.

But when someone blows a tire made by some China outfit, they don't know the name or remember it. And they don't expect as much and there for don't complain about it.

(yes I know, flame suit on, but give me a few mins., I have to buy another one, this one is out of date)
__________________________________________________ ____________

Honestly speaking:

There are some really crappy tires on the market, and some really nice tires on the market. Either way, make sure to get something rated higher than the trailers GVWR. Notice that I typed higher, not equal. There's a difference, at least with the smaller tires.

7k GVWR trailers: Stock most come with a load range C tire. Run them until they are gone and then upgrade to a load range D tire. They make 205,215,225 tires in load range D. So you can get a size that matches.

10k GVWR trailers: Stock most come with a load range D tire. That is about the heaviest you'll see in a 15" wheel unless you special order or happen to find a higher load range. But, you can upgrade to a 6 lug, 16" wheel and upgrade tires to a load range E. It will be a taller tire, so make sure that you have plenty of clearence at the fender before making the purchase.

12k & 14K GVWR trailers: Now you are into a standard load range E tire and you can upgrade to load range G. The load range E tire is usually a very good tire, although I have seen them blow (company issue). The G is a nice load range, but you'll spend the $$$ to have them.

__________________________________________________ _____________

Brand of Tires:

Hell, IMHO there isn't one great brand on the market. And honestly, lately the overseas radial's have been holding up really well. And for the cost you can upgrade to a higher load range and not really spend much more than a really good American made tire (notice: "American made", Mexico, Canada, all South "American" countries). But, the overseas bias tires are crap. They tend to have funny wear patterns, and follow every crack in the road. Of course a higher end, made in USA tire is great. But the coin kills some of us, me included. Shit, I still don't even own a trailer!

Hey that reminds me......Anyone got a trailer I can barrow for this weekend? Just heading to Moon Rocks and back.

www.sneveysoffroad.com/

Old 05-22-2008, 09:50 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 15404
Acording the the "experts" on the trailer BB's trailer tires are only rated for 65mph and all but one set of michilens are made in china and have questionable quality control...
Old 05-22-2008, 08:54 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 20276
Out of about 6 hot shot guys i know and my brother pulling heavy eqipment and my with my car hauler and over 2.5 year on the same used tires. i would say truck tires if there a E rate on them. You can even find them in a 205 or 215 45-15 tire with a "E"rating. They came on a older ford 1 ton.
Even ba, trailer tire ive seen blow has been the tire coming off. For to much heat or to stiff of side walls. So the belt give out on them.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:24 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 4358
Send a message via Yahoo to FYRMAN
That kinda pisses me off.

You have three or four guys here that get asked questions regularly. You guys ask for us by name. This is the kind of work that we do. We've been around it all. We choose to share what we know in our professional lives with you guys when we get home. This forum is all about what we do for a living. When I have a question to ask of another trade, I don't question them... It's what they do. I don't think the guy/gal is sitting there thinking "I can cost Joe Bucketass a bunch of money by giving a wrong answer here."

Then when what we say doesn't agree with the "experts" on other forums, we are full of shit. You guys keep looking for answers to questions until you get the answer that you want. If you knew the answer you wanted to hear, why do you ask? Why do you choose to listen to three other people that are wrong, instead of us, because the three other guys have the same wrong answer?

Do you guys argue with Bender when he talks about bending tube? Do you argue with Jesse when he tells you what measurements he needs to make you a driveshaft? When you have Darren (12voltguy) make you a panel, do you tell him how to wire it? When a competitor on the W.E. Rock circuit fails a sick fawkin bonus line, do you tell them how to drive? Didn't think so. But your mother-in-laws third cousin, that's fucking his sister, never had a blow out with a truck tire on a trailer so we must be full of shit.

/rant
Old 05-22-2008, 09:54 PM   #16 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 66780
We have car tires (not LT's) on our trailer. Hell, we bought it brand new and it had some low profile (50 or 60 series) tires on it! Granted...it's only a 5'x8' utility trailer rated for 4K, but we haven't had a problem with them as far as failures.

However, Anything over 3K lbs, and it will sway back and forth severely at speeds over 35mph. We did go to a taller tire when we replaced the stock ones, which didn't help any. Had 6K in it once and couldn't go faster than 30mph. 205 (or 215)/70/15's

Another big reason to the swaying, is due to the axle location. It's too far forward. With a 2,500# load of mulch on it, I can lift it off my hitch and set the tongue on the ground with 1 finger...
Old 05-22-2008, 10:31 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 64817
Dear 762FMJ,
You are highjacking this thread with a completely different problem that you already identfied and know how to fix. You have therefor added no value to this thread in any way.

Back on topic: I have pulled the same trailer with both LTs and "trailer" tires. I much prefer the stability, smoothness, and tracking with the trailer tires. The brakes get better bite without sliding the tires too. The previous professional advice to overspec your trailer tires is spot-on. It gives a nice safety cushion for the inevitable curb checks and other accidental abuses that trailers suffer. A high quality (yes, that means more than $1.99) tire gauge is money well spent, but only if you use it!
Old 05-23-2008, 12:25 AM   #18 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 49181
Ramrock
Quote:
For to much heat or to stiff of side walls. So the belt give out on them.
A stiffer side wall means less heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5540jd View Post
I'm glad you have not had any trouble from your Goodyear come-a-parts. I'm switching to the LT truck tires after the $3000 damage to my 5th wheel from the lousy trailer tire that decided to let go. Was inflated to the proper pressure and was being pulled at around 70 mph. We will see how the Firestone Transforce HT's hold up to the task. I've had good luck out of the AT's on my 2500 truck. Go over to the RV forums if you want to see how the trailer tires hold up.
RV trailers, IMHO, are built and equipped only slighty better than a boat trailer. And I feel that boat trailers are really built cheap because of the parts. And most dealers like to throw the trailer into the deal for the sale. So a cheap trailer is nice to offer since it is going to cost them.

RV trailers are equipped with tires that just make it to axle/GVWR spec. And most RV's dry weight is not very far at all from the GVWR, which means that, IMHO over 80% of the RV's on the road are overloaded. I feel that about 90% of boat trailers on the road are overloaded.

Quote:

You have three or four guys here that get asked questions regularly. You guys ask for us by name. This is the kind of work that we do. We've been around it all. We choose to share what we know in our professional lives with you guys when we get home. This forum is all about what we do for a living. When I have a question to ask of another trade, I don't question them... It's what they do. I don't think the guy/gal is sitting there thinking "I can cost Joe Bucketass a bunch of money by giving a wrong answer here."

Then when what we say doesn't agree with the "experts" on other forums, we are full of shit. You guys keep looking for answers to questions until you get the answer that you want. If you knew the answer you wanted to hear, why do you ask? Why do you choose to listen to three other people that are wrong, instead of us, because the three other guys have the same wrong answer?

Do you guys argue with Bender when he talks about bending tube? Do you argue with Jesse when he tells you what measurements he needs to make you a driveshaft? When you have Darren (12voltguy) make you a panel, do you tell him how to wire it? When a competitor on the W.E. Rock circuit fails a sick fawkin bonus line, do you tell them how to drive? Didn't think so. But your mother-in-laws third cousin, that's fucking his sister, never had a blow out with a truck tire on a trailer so we must be full of shit.

/rant
I understand where this is coming.

I sometimes get frustrated and I'm sure that Scott will agree, that it really stems a lot from the people that come in the front door. They came to the bussiness to ask the opinion of someone that works there. When they recieve the answer, they sometimes seem a little shocked or puzzled. And then they start to argue with you trying to push their information. Hey, that's cool that they are gathering information from different places. But if the person doesn't like the opinion, that's ok. You don't have to use it.

__________________________________________________ ___________

And for the number of trailers that go in and out of my shop, I see very few with truck tires. Of what does come in with truck tires most the time are ranchers with horse/stock trailers. Some do ok with their old used tires from their pick-up, and some end up replacing fenders.

With all the scuffing when turning and beating a trailer tire see's, I'd say that we are lucky that as a group we don't see more blow outs.

But to be honest, if I was super tight on cash and had a set of used truck tires sitting there and tire for my trailer was between me and a wheeling trip......I would use them. I mean, we are talking about wheeling, and this is a wheeling site. But I'm sure you can figure out what I would want to be saving for.....(trailer tires?...........probably not, probably buggy parts)

__________________________________________________ _______

Ok, so yes, I have about 120 to 150 trailers in stock all the time. Yes, I have towed a rig on a ton of different trailers throughout the years. I have never ran a truck tire myself. But then again, I've never had a blow out on a trailer. And I rarely through the years, have carried a spare with me. Darwin is going to kick my ass pretty quick.

www.sneveysoffroad.com/

Old 05-23-2008, 05:49 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 106059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Guy View Post
RV trailers, IMHO, are built and equipped only slighty better than a boat trailer. And I feel that boat trailers are really built cheap because of the parts. And most dealers like to throw the trailer into the deal for the sale. So a cheap trailer is nice to offer since it is going to cost them.

RV trailers are equipped with tires that just make it to axle/GVWR spec. And most RV's dry weight is not very far at all from the GVWR, which means that, IMHO over 80% of the RV's on the road are overloaded. I feel that about 90% of boat trailers on the road are overloaded.

I will agree with you that the RV's are border line on the load limit. I am trying to prevent this from happening again. I could not find a E range tire to fit on my 15" rims that came on my camper from the factory with the 225/75/15 Goodyear Marathons in a D range. I opted to use the money that Goodyear sent me for my damages to purchase new 16" wheels and the new Firestone tires. I have owned several sets of Marathons and have never been happy with the life of them. They always seem to have trouble with tread seperation. I replaced several on my boat trailer before they had the chance to come apart. Knowing the boat gets pulled in some of the worst heat of the summer and you know what heat does for a tire. Anyway, time will tell if I have made the correct move. I recently looked a my buddy's 5th wheel thatcame equiped with the 16" tires and E range Goodyear Marathons. Guess what, it looks like the tread is seperating on them too. Good luck with whatever tire you decide to take a chance with.
5540jd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 06:21 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 88438
I say every single person has specific needs and every trailer has a purpose. That being said, if you are using a trailer for its intended purpose then you should be using tires that are intended for a trailer. Cars use car tires,trucks use truck tires and trailers use trailer tires.
Have you ever seen a quad on dubs and car tires? Ya, but is it gonna be driven back and forth to work or in the trails, I don't think so!
I've been through countless LT tires on my 14k gooseneck over the years and never felt good about it. When I spent the coin on E rated trailer tires I gainned stability piece of mind and insurance. I never hesitate to load it down and head down the road now, knowing I have my junk(or someone elses) riding on a quality set of tires is cheap insurance.................................my 2cents.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:49 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
Quote:

/rant
It doesn't help that the industry itself uses LT tires on trailers with wheels 16" and larger, and the tires used on semi trailers always seem to be the same tires used on the tractors. The selection of ST tires drops drastically over 15" wheels, and LT becomes more prevalent. So that entire trailer tires are for trailers and truck tires are for trucks doesn't completely add up.

Personally, I've put miles down with trailer tires, passenger car tires and LT tires on trailers. I've found the best tow came from the generally wider, larger load range e LT's, trailer tires come a close 2nd, and passenger car tires, even within their weight limits are a far distant 3rd - as in, don't use them anywhere near their rated capacity.
Travis Waldher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:43 AM   #22 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 49181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Waldher View Post
It doesn't help that the industry itself uses LT tires on trailers with wheels 16" and larger,
I have never seen a new trailer come with truck tires. But there is always a first, and I'm sure some cheap trailer manufacture is doing it.

www.sneveysoffroad.com/

Old 05-23-2008, 10:13 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 15404
Our new work trailer came with them (22ft tilt goose) and 2/3 of the newer trailers of my buddy's/familys have LT tires on them (10k dogtale, 14k dogtale). Only the 7000lb dog tale of my roomate came with them trailer tires on it. My trailer is so old it probubly cam with wagon wheels

It is realy common around here to have flat beds and stock trailers come with truck tires from the dealer. It might be because of the gravel roads around here. Most everyone runs 10ply tires on their trucks to keep from cutting them just driving down the road. Might be just that our dealers have a monopoly since dealers are fiew and far between and the farmers just don't know any better.

Quote:
I have never seen a new trailer come with truck tires. But there is always a first, and I'm sure some cheap trailer manufacture is doing it.

Last edited by rcurrier44; 05-23-2008 at 10:14 AM.
rcurrier44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:10 PM   #24 (permalink)
Well Done Man!

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn Send a message via AIM to welndmn Send a message via Yahoo to welndmn
Quote:
I was at the RV show and saw a few Travel Trailers with LT's

Anyway, About a year ago I slapped LT tires on my horse trailer.
Why, I had them, and I needed new tires.
The trailer had 2700 ish lbs tires, I put the tires from my dodge (3400lbs) on it, and they seem to be fine.
As Aaron said, they key is weight. I think running the truck tires is ok, as long as you go over board on weight.
I feel the stiffer sidewall of the E range makes up for the difference in the C range Trailer Tires.
My car trailer has E range Carlises on it as well.

Oh BIAS TRAILER TIRES SUCK!
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:11 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
Replace your Carlisles... just replace them now.
Travis Waldher is offline   Reply With Quote