what coating for a plywood floor? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2008, 05:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 8110
Send a message via ICQ to RodeoRob Send a message via AIM to RodeoRob
Red face what coating for a plywood floor?

I've got an enclosed box trailer to haul my junk. I opt'd for a very basic unfinished raw wood interior... I didn't think the standard black/white checkboard vinyl would hold up long enough to be worth the extra money. But now, my question is, I would like to put down some sort of cheap paint/coating to protect the raw wood from mud, oil, water, etc... what would you guys recommend for a durable floor coating over plywood?

std oil based deck paint? herculiner or some other bed liner? what about a two part epoxy like the rustolem garage floor stuff (dunno how well that adhere's to wood rather than concrete)? any other suggestions?

-Rob
RodeoRob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2008, 08:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 1515
Send a message via AIM to Po' riggity Send a message via Yahoo to Po' riggity
If it were me, I'd throw a few coats of herculiner on it.
Scott
Old 06-01-2008, 09:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 76684
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodeoRob View Post
I've got an enclosed box trailer to haul my junk. I opt'd for a very basic unfinished raw wood interior... I didn't think the standard black/white checkboard vinyl would hold up long enough to be worth the extra money. But now, my question is, I would like to put down some sort of cheap paint/coating to protect the raw wood from mud, oil, water, etc... what would you guys recommend for a durable floor coating over plywood?

std oil based deck paint? herculiner or some other bed liner? what about a two part epoxy like the rustolem garage floor stuff (dunno how well that adhere's to wood rather than concrete)? any other suggestions?

-Rob
I paint all the heavy duty shelves I have with 1" MDF with the rustoleum floor epoxy, works great.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 20868
If you use a standard paint or stain add grit to the mixture. You can buy little packages of the no-skid material at the standard box stores; mix 1 pack to 1 gallon of paint/stain; and apply. Works real well. If you don't want to go to the expense or trouble of herculiner or the epoxy stuff; I'd use standard floor pain with no-skid added.
plunkinberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2008, 07:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 36072
If you wan to herculine the floor go for it, but I wouldn't put it on the walls. The hurculiner in my Jeep will take skin off if you aren't careful. Its really rough. If I remember correctly, you can alter the roughness when applying though.
BIGJMCCONNELL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2008, 04:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 53184
Are you doubting me Rob?
Old 06-04-2008, 05:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 49181
They make a flooring paint, light gray in color, that has a crushed walnut shell in it (the name is slipping my wee little walnut brain). It works the best for the $$. Any sort of bed liner works fine, but it gets to be expensive with the larger trailers.

I would suggest taping off the walls about 6" up from the floor and also covering the lowest 6" of the wall w/ paint/bed liner. It keeps the walls from getting so dinged up. We have some customers that prefer the lowest 24" of the walls covered for tire scrub issues.

Check out PARAphernalia GEAR for 550 Paracord and items

www.sneveysoffroad.com/

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here--> www.lugnut4x4.com
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.