overheating while towing - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2002, 07:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 11957
overheating while towing

hey, ive got a 98 4banger tacoma that pulls a zuki. anytime i pull something it overheats like hell!!! if im not pulling then i can run the shiat out of it and its perfect, i just put in a new thermostat, and i know the coolant is circulating. the last time i towed with it i had to drive for 3 hours with the heater wide open on a 100+ degree day!! I dont know what would cause it?? help? CYA!!

rockzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 07:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator

Member # 8
it it an auto? if so - add a cooler NOW!
>"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men."
DRM is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2002, 08:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 107
Send a message via AIM to The Jerk Send a message via MSN to The Jerk Send a message via Yahoo to The Jerk
1 - its a 4 banger non towing yota
2 - the trany is probably circulating through the radiator9stock set up, like DRM said COOLER time

my bucket f250 on a 90 degree day will tow warm up hills all day and on really hot long pulls up hill it climbs to right where teh clutch fan kicks in. i run teh heater a lil just for fun but i have a big trany cooler and an oil cooler and it still runs warm a bit. i guess its jsut old and trying to pull a lot of wieght doesnt help
Old 07-31-2002, 05:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 10429
The only time I've seen a Taco overheat was when you've previously been in the mud..

My friend's '00 Taco 4x4 2.7 pulled about 3500lbs of U-haul trailer without overheating, AFTER we pulled his rad and washed it out from the back... It had mud in there you can't see with it installed.

YMMV.
Old 08-01-2002, 08:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 11957
well, tranny cooler isnt the problem, its a five speed, and yes it has been in ALOT of mud, before my zuki it was my trail rig and used to be on 33 TLSs, it has been run in the mud so hard that it busted the front bumper and shoved it under the truck and sucked so much water in the intake it put a hole in the air filter!, the radiator does need cleaned but its not bad enough to make it overheat as quickly and severe as it does, i do need to clean it bad though, im gonna try to straiten up the fins too. hopefully that will help, thanks! CYA!!

rockzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 10:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 107
Send a message via AIM to The Jerk Send a message via MSN to The Jerk Send a message via Yahoo to The Jerk
Quote:
Originally posted by rockzilla
well, tranny cooler isnt the problem, its a five speed, and yes it has been in ALOT of mud, before my zuki it was my trail rig and used to be on 33 TLSs, it has been run in the mud so hard that it busted the front bumper and shoved it under the truck and sucked so much water in the intake it put a hole in the air filter!, the radiator does need cleaned but its not bad enough to make it overheat as quickly and severe as it does, i do need to clean it bad though, im gonna try to straiten up the fins too. hopefully that will help, thanks! CYA!!
clean out teh rad and add some water wetter or tow cool crap, cant hurt it. jiMMy
Old 08-02-2002, 12:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 2752
I had the same problem towing my old Willy's with my 4-cyl Nissan. All the stuff mentioned above will help, but my Nissan ALWAYS overheated while towing the Jeep. It was just asking too much from a little 4-cyl pushing oversize tires and pulling another vehicle. I gave up and got a beefy tow rig.
Tusker is offline   Reply With Quote