am i dumb to keep a 1/2 ton? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2002, 06:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 87
Send a message via AIM to GRMhick
am i dumb to keep a 1/2 ton?

ok, i have a half ton, reg cab short bed 4x4 dodge, with a 318 auto, 3" lift, and 33" bfg mud. i like the truck alot, it does everything i want it to awesome. Only thing is i woudl like to start towing with it. I dont have a trailer hitch on it, which is why i havent towed with it yet. Only problem is that the truck i want to tow is another reg cab short bed dodge to wheel. could always sell the wheeling truck for a lighter toy or such, but i think the dodge woudl still be just as un-powerful, and unstable on the highway. Just if i sell it, i would want an ex cab cummings.. but i maybe woudl have to buy another reg cab, which i wouldnt want too much. so i dont know what to do.. also, i have already put a new tranny and transfer case into it.. along with head gaskets by the previous owner, so now it is in really good shape, plus, i have too much $$$ into it. SO what shoudl i do?

thanks

Garrett
GRMhick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2002, 09:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 8211
Sorry to have to say this, but, IMO, that rig will suck as a tow rig for a full size. Even if you dump more money into it to upgrade it, it is just not the rig to use. I had a quad cab Ram with 360, low gear option, towing package, etc. and it was adequate for towing my K30 buggy on a trailer (about 6-7k with all gear). However, I was concerned about the tranny, especially since I expect to spend allot more time towing the buggy to events that happen to be on the other side of long grades and mountain passes. Dodge autos are not known for robustness when towing, and the 360 was a great engine, but it still would struggle more than I like on a long grade. Can't imagine trying that with a 318 AND tall tires. So, the point I’m getting to is that I traded that truck (which was way better suited for towing than yours) for a 2500HD. Not putting down your truck, sounds like a very nice little multi-purpose rig (with the exception of the 318 which I don’t personally like), but it is not a tow rig at the level you need…

Just my opinion. Good luck

85 K30 truggy, 350 TBI, TH350, 203/205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked, 42" TSLs, 4" lift, 112" wheel base, front leafs, rear double triangulated 4 link with coils.
BadDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2002, 09:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
I'll pretty much second that. Towing a 5500lb trailer was non existant in my truck with the same options as Baddog. 8,000lb I could tell when there was a grade, and the engine worked its ass off. The auto I'm sure worked more. you'll be closer to the 8,000lb range with a light trailer and towing a fullsize. Probably closer to 9,000lbs.

Even if you do keep your current truck you'll need to:

Regear to 4.56
3.5" exhaust free flow exhaust
3-4 core radiator
Tranny Temp gauge
K&N Air filter (always a good cheap add-on)

If you like your truck, get a lighter smaller trail rig.
Travis Waldher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2002, 09:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 87
currently i have 2 tranny coolers, a B+M tranny temp gague, 3.55 gears (need 4.56), a K+N filter, 3" rancho lift, doubble rs9000's up front, singles in the rear, 15x8;s, 33x12.5 muds, 2.5" free flowing exhaust (catsound cat, and magnaflow muffler), mopar performance a-518 od tranny, etc. If i were to tow with it, i would be looking into maybe towing a 5th wheel, or gooseneck, on a 18-22' trailer (under 10klbs) or a class V trailer hitch with a weight dist. hitch. I woudl probabalyl also add air bags on top of the springs. WHile l liove the truck, i did just find a 93 cummins reg cab long bed 4x4 dulley with an auto, and 2 car hauler for just a tad more than i can sell this one for, so i am thinking about it.

keep the comments comming.

Garrett
Old 08-09-2002, 10:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
oh.. forgot. have 2500lb overload springs. between that and the RS9000's on all four corners. That was probably the best mod done to my tow rig.
Travis Waldher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2002, 10:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 87
so it sounds like i can do it, it will just be struggling up hills, which is ok with me, just down shift and keep it slow. I also hear that i can tow a 5th wheel with my truck, and it will really help over a normal trailer, right?
Old 08-09-2002, 11:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 8211
Yeah, you definitely don't want to use a bumper hitch with a SWB and that much weight/length towed. Goose neck or fifth wheel will help allot but, still…

85 K30 truggy, 350 TBI, TH350, 203/205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked, 42" TSLs, 4" lift, 112" wheel base, front leafs, rear double triangulated 4 link with coils.

Last edited by BadDog; 08-09-2002 at 11:38 PM.
Old 08-09-2002, 11:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 87
it is just how much do i want to daily drive a big tow rig, expecally in bay area and los angles traffic.. but i do hear where you are comming from (makes me wonder how my buddy always tows his horse, and cargo trailers with his half ton chevy)

Garrett
Old 08-09-2002, 11:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 87
BTW, my ram is an ST package, not the SLT, so i have tougher seats, and all plastic door panels.. which i really like.. and i have yet to see a 4x4 cummins ram with the same package.
Old 08-09-2002, 11:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 8211
I've lived and worked all over the country including big cities. Seattle, Phoenix, and LA to name a few. I don't find that a Ram Quad Cab or Crew GM is a problem as long as it is combined with a short bed and SRW. Now dually, that's another story all together. Sounds like this is the way your planning to go so, just be careful and take it easy. You get on some wavy road with a little curve or too aggressive steering and your going to be in trouble if your not careful… Good luck.

Old 08-10-2002, 12:03 AM   #11 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 87
if i get a dulley, will i have problems on back roads? i seem to find them alot, and my ram handles them great.. sometimes forget i am in a lifted truck, until the rear starts comming around. Just i dont like that my 33" dont ever break loose.. but then, i dont think that is bad.

and also, i really want a club cab short bed dodge, if only i could afford it.. maybe one day.
Old 08-10-2002, 12:14 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 8211
If your talking about narrow roads with a dually then, yes, I've had a considerable increase in "Pucker factor" crossing narrow bridges (and one dam I know of in N. AL is a real PIA) and on narrow roads, especially when you meet another just as big or bigger. If your talking about loosing the back end, then that is also something of a yes. Dual wheels will tend to hydro plane worse without a load and there are other similar problems associated with dual rear wheels when unloaded. Those things are built to tote a load, running empty is a secondary concern. I wouldn’t recommend a dual wheel truck to anyone who doesn’t use it primarily for tow/haul OR if the strictly need the capacity however infrequent. A heavy ¾ to 1 ton SRW with 130”+ wheel base (roughly a standard cab LWB or bigger) will do anything most of us will ever want to do without seriously jeopardizing daily driver practicality, comfort and safety. Heck, I plan on using my new 2500HD on easy scenic runs like local Crown King and such. I’m planning on adding a set of “velvet rides” to take some of the harshness out of the rear springs when unloaded but, with a locked rear and 33s I think it will be capable enough for that stuff. And I *LOVE* driving this thing anywhere. My wife's Bonne has been relegated to her personal "grocery getter", we take my truck (just like my previous Quad Cab Ram) everywhere we go as a family. I’m quite at home with it in town, at the mall (parking lots usually aren’t too much trouble if you don’t mind walking a bit) or on the freeway…

Last edited by BadDog; 08-10-2002 at 12:17 AM.
Old 08-11-2002, 10:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 87
Ok, it doesent look like i will be able to sell this truck, so should i A) build it and tow with it, B) Try to keep my junk street legal and work to not break, and carry too many spare parts, or C) tow with my old 77 reg cab short bed 2wd lowered dodge with a 360 auto, 3.23 gears, and 275/60/15 tires?

P.S. if there is a good 89-93 dodge in MINT condition for sale.. pass the info my way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.