Those with big tires and full width axles...... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2002, 08:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 3547
Those with big tires and full width axles......

How the heck do you fit it on the trailer?

It seems 83" between the fenders is the max commonly available (across North America from what I can gather)....and I'm guessing that with the std width of fenders - it's because you're then at some legal max width (102"?).

Sure - I could have a custom wide trailer or flat deck with no fenders built, but:

1) No way I am ever going to be able to afford a new custom trailer - heck I can;t even afford a new std trailer - i"m looking for used

2) I'm not sure it would be so great having the weight up so much higher on a fenderless flat deck?

So - does everyone just drive over the fenders and let the tires hang off the edges a bit?? Seems a bit spooky to me?

What am I missing?
BillaVista is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2002, 08:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
In your case, maybe rebuild your fenders stronger. and build legs that stick out from teh side of the trailer so the tires don't go over the trailers edge.
Travis Waldher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2002, 09:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 7936
Send a message via MSN to mud-magnet
bill search for tubed fenders or somethiing along those lines, i remember a post(think in general4x4) with a pic of someones trailer that they built a tube/pipe thing over the fenders that was strong enough to drive over and then widened the surface of the trailer with flat plate.......... then they drive over the fenders

Last edited by mud-magnet; 08-10-2002 at 09:04 PM.
mud-magnet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2002, 09:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 7936
Send a message via MSN to mud-magnet
here ya go bill, i got board and searched it for ya.......
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...railer+fenders
simple really, just drive over it........ might want to put a few beads of weld across the top, if its too steep just so it its wet you can still get up it.....
Old 08-11-2002, 08:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 8843
Send a message via AIM to offroadr35
i scored this deck-over-wheels trailer on ebay. it's really handy to haul anything. if you watch ebay every day for a few weeks you can find great deals. by the way my truck is 84" wide.

offroadr35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2002, 01:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 3547
Offroadr35...that's a sweet trailer and I love the orange bronc!

Thanks for the link Mike, I guess that's an option
BillaVista is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2002, 02:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 8211
I've got a standard low-boy style car trailer and my rig started out as a K30 that now wears 42s. I take off the driver's fender, drive on with the drivers tire hanging off by about 4-5", just enough to clear the passenger fender (need a spotter to load the truck, sheesh...) and then center it up. My trailer has a side lip that sticks up about 1.5" over the bed. With the tires at low pressure, they bite on it pretty good so I'm not worried about slipping, especially not once it is tied down. Never had a problem...

85 K30 truggy, 350 TBI, TH350, 203/205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked, 42" TSLs, 4" lift, 112" wheel base, front leafs, rear double triangulated 4 link with coils.
BadDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2002, 03:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 1792
I would build some stout fenders and add to the trailer.Wouldn't be too hard to do.This what my buddy did with his.Actually he bought some diamond plate fenders.It works fine for him.
Old 08-11-2002, 09:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 504
Send a message via AIM to Red Chevy Girl Send a message via Yahoo to Red Chevy Girl
I run on a flatbed gooseneck trailer and i have fullsive chevy with 6" lift and 38" and it has no problems i found mine used for $650. There are a couple of good trailers I saw in a classified that is called AG ADS it comes out of Salem, OR its web address is www.capitalpress.com
02 F250 Diesel
Red Chevy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2002, 10:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 4073
Very simple and cheap solution to too-narrow fenders. Get a couple 2x8's or whatever, cut them down to increasing lengths, shortest length the same length as the fender. Stack them and screw/nail them together, longest on the bottom and shorter as it goes up till you get to the same height as the fender. Basically making a pair of stair step ramps to get the tires to clear the fenders by going up and over and back down.

......______
...../............\....fender

.....-----------
...---------------..........stacked boards
..------------------

Edit, spaces weren't included in my diagram for some reason.

Last edited by Dustball; 08-11-2002 at 10:27 PM.
Dustball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2002, 06:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
Dustball's suggestion is what most do around here. Problem with driving over the fenders, even if they can take it, is that if the tires are wet/muddy, it can make for a really interesting loading situation. BTW, another problem with going over the fenders is if your wheelbase is REALLY short you end up having to park one end of your rig up on them still.

TEX
Extreme Performance
www.kmelectronics.com
Bear Creek Auto Recyclers
www.svrehorsepower.com
TEX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2002, 10:01 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 2071
Send a message via AIM to tsm1mt
My short-term solution was to put stock tires on the front of my rig to squeeze between my fenders.. but I got tired of 1) changing tires all the time and 2) welding the fenders back on periodically.

I decided I didn't have time/want to spend the $$ building new full-on fenders, and since the fenders were in decent shape anyways..

I took some 2x2x.120 square tubing and made some trapezoids, just taller and wider than the current fenders. I bolted these to the sides of the trailer frame.

I then welded some angle across the 2x2 to make ramps. Not heavy enough angle, so round 2 I put some bracing under the overhanging edges to stiffen 'em up, and some stand-offs down to the trailer deck.

It DOES require 4wd to go over the fenders, and with a 100" WB, I still have a few inches to move back n' forth on the deck if I need to.

Nice part is 4 bolts per side and the ramps come right off, leaving me with a standard width car hauler to haul stockers around, or autocross rigs, or...

In my case, I only needed about 2" per side wider, so I would've had to make the fenders wider to the inside as well to give me something to hit with the tires (hanging the outside 2" of the front tires on a pair of ramps would've been more fun than I wanted), which would've eliminated the trailer for "car hauling" duty..

Once on the deck, the tires do hang over the edges just a bit, but not by much.

If I get worried about it, I'll either bend some tube and make some pseudo "nerf bars", or go simple and weld some 2x2 or 3x3 angle to the sides to widen it by 3" per edge.
Old 08-12-2002, 11:07 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 8211
I had thought about doing something similar except using stake pockets and pins...

85 K30 truggy, 350 TBI, TH350, 203/205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked, 42" TSLs, 4" lift, 112" wheel base, front leafs, rear double triangulated 4 link with coils.
BadDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.