What would this cost to fix? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2008, 01:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 61603
What would this cost to fix?

Im in the market for a new truck / toy and i came across this on ebay. It seems to be a good deal depending on one thing. He says that it needs a new computer on the block. I cant find a price on one anywhere. Is it something i can get out of a junkyard for a reasonable price? (1k and under)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-...3A1|240%3A1308

current project: finding front and rear Dana 70's and a 400sbc
PSUyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 1050
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert
Yes, you should be able to find a new ECM at a dismantler for a reasonable cost. Make sure it is from the same year of vehicle. There are some subtle differences.
I would be a little concerned about the seller being able to afford ALL KINDS of power adders, but can't afford a new ECM. Seems a little strange to me.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 44439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I would be a little concerned about the seller being able to afford ALL KINDS of power adders, but can't afford a new ECM. Seems a little strange to me.
Maybe he lost his job or got divorced. People fall on hard times.

An ECM shouldn't be too hard to find at a dismantler or junkyard, whatever ya wanna call it. Shouldn't be more than a couple hundred bucks.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 112382
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89smurf View Post
Maybe he lost his job or got divorced. People fall on hard times.

An ECM shouldn't be too hard to find at a dismantler or junkyard, whatever ya wanna call it. Shouldn't be more than a couple hundred bucks.
Or maybe there is a problem with it...... Buyer beware.

The seller could easily make his money back by actually fixing what is wrong. I am always skeptical of "it only needs X". I'd ask him to fix it and add it to the price. Just my .02.
rstrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 10429
Yeah, sell a truck as non-running, and then once you replace the computer, find out he's melted the pistons or something more serious..
Old 12-21-2008, 02:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 123536
I wouldnt even think of buying a truck modified like that and only needing a cheap part to fix .. Its SMells FISHY
Boogerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 71185
The only way I would even consider a deal like that is if I could bring a good ECM and plug it in and run it before even giving a deposit, lots of work done on that truck, who knows what the sellers knowledge level is, could be a deal but I'm betting it has other issues.

Brewchief
brewchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Community Organizer

Member # 32677
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewchief View Post
The only way I would even consider a deal like that is if I could bring a good ECM and plug it in and run it before even giving a deposit, lots of work done on that truck, who knows what the sellers knowledge level is, could be a deal but I'm betting it has other issues.

Brewchief
Same thing I was thinking, unless you know someone with an ECM that you could borrow I wouldn't touch that thing. That truck has a ton of power added... why waste all that time and money to turn around and sell it "as-is at a major loss"?
Soundguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 49108
Bullshit, scam flag!
suprdave737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:20 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 25349
Send a message via AIM to mondtster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Yes, you should be able to find a new ECM at a dismantler for a reasonable cost. Make sure it is from the same year of vehicle. There are some subtle differences.
x2.

I can understand that some people (myself included) get frustrated with projects when they appear to start consuming way more time and money than you were expecting, but get real. Why wouldn't the guy fix it and then put it up for sale? It's going to move a whole lot faster and bring closer to what it is worth if it is in good running condition than if you try to sell it stating "it only needs xxxx."

My bet is that there is something else wrong with it and he doesn't have the money and/or know what's wrong with it or how to fix it.

I bet that truck has been ran hard with all that stuff on it.
mondtster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 386
Send a message via ICQ to MattS
That truck has been on Craigs list for months and months. I think it ran a few months ago because I don't recall seeing that listed on the ad. I can go look at it if you want me to it's about 4 miles from my new house. If fact, if you really want it ship me a computer and I can take it out and try and start the truck if the owner will do that. If he says no he won't do that then I bet the motor is blown.

It's been below zero for a few weeks here. So I doubt this is something I can do until the weather breaks. I'm moving the next weekend so sometime after the weekend of the 5th would be best for me. Hopefully it's not 0 with a -22 degree windchill by then!
MattS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 116651
He isnt stating which controller though. Dodge runs a Chrysler ECM and a J-Tech controller from Cummins. The two of them must communicate with each other to run. I too would assume the Chrysler ECM is a problem but you never know. I remember yrs ago that Dodge had problems with the controllers communicating with each other due to wire harness problems. Trucks would just quit, no starts, SES lights for intermitten codes for communication.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:59 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 17632
Unless you are a diesel tech, or have a close friend that is a diesel tech, I'd stay away. $15 is a lot of money for a crapshoot. You can get a nice stocker for that kind of money. Unless you want a truck someone else has used up.
Travis..
Old 12-22-2008, 07:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 8783
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck2 View Post
He isnt stating which controller though. Dodge runs a Chrysler ECM and a J-Tech controller from Cummins. The two of them must communicate with each other to run. I too would assume the Chrysler ECM is a problem but you never know. I remember yrs ago that Dodge had problems with the controllers communicating with each other due to wire harness problems. Trucks would just quit, no starts, SES lights for intermitten codes for communication.
i have 3 of the chryselrs comps for 00-03's laying around that work and "run" but all have the same TCC lockup issues. they also need to be flashed to your truck to correctly work with no SES lights.
i betya the other comp running the engine controls is wrong, but you can get a new one of those threw cummins cheaper than dodge.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 101209
if you go to the cummings forum theres a guy selling a comparable truck for 12,500 and he was a local (LV) diesel tech.. same miles and in great shape...

I realize your in PA but theres decent trucks out there ....

I agree with the above....that much work in the truck and it needs a computer?...that smells
DT75FLH is offline   Reply With Quote