Car Seats and Chevy Extended Cabs - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2009, 03:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4506
Car Seats and Chevy Extended Cabs

Who's doing car-seats with a later-model extended cab? (03/04 specificaly) I've got my eye on a new tow/DD rig and part of the reason for the new rig is that its kind of hard to fit 2 car seats and a wife in a regular cab.

Like I said, I got a line on what I want, but I haven't got a chance to test fit any kids seats in there yet. Looks like they should fit "OK", maybe a bit snug but OK. I'm 6-2, so I need the drivers seat pretty far back, wife's shorter so her seats usually forward. Daughters in a forward facing, so there's some flex ability in leg room for her, sons still in a rear-facing for another few months, but I could probably put him in the middle till we turn him and change his seat.

Who's running this combo and whats your experience. Yes, I know a crew-cab would be better, but as a compromise between maneuverability and work "image" (don't ask) the extended cab is the better route.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 85700
you can make it work. is your older kid well behaved enough to sit next to their sibling for a car ride?

i'm 6' 2" and had a 2000 ext cab chevy for 4 years. no car seat, not even forward facing, will fit behind you without making you uncomfortable.

have you looked at Dodges? the quad cab has way more room but doesn't have the huge ass doors other crew cabs do.

after having an ext cab chevy and then going to a quad cab dodge, i wonder why in the fuck i wasted those 4 years with an ext cab.
dubrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2009, 05:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 27712
We ran our car seat in the rear of my 00 CTD for a while. We sat it in the middle (safer), but in the rear facing position it would not work. As soon as she was old enough we turned the seat around and it fit fine on either side. As long as the kids are old/big enough to face forward you should be fine...just check it before you buy!
rsqne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 1234
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrocker View Post
is your older kid well behaved enough to sit next to their sibling for a car ride?
That is the magic question... my two kids used to sit next to each other in the truck. Then we did a disneyland trip last year... arrrgh, now they don't sit next to each other anymore

Thankfully I have a crew cab ford so there's plenty of room
Old 02-16-2009, 10:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 101541
Send a message via ICQ to the green machine Send a message via AIM to the green machine Send a message via Yahoo to the green machine
i had a car seat in a ranger supercab, sure it was sideways, but it worked, ran the seatbelt through the frame and used rubber tarp straps to keep it secure. now my child is nearly 14 and its getting pretty cramped back there for her.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 10429
Quote:
Originally Posted by the green machine View Post
i had a car seat in a ranger supercab, sure it was sideways, but it worked, ran the seatbelt through the frame and used rubber tarp straps to keep it secure. now my child is nearly 14 and its getting pretty cramped back there for her.
Maybe it'll be less cramped if you let her out of the car seat now.. (read your post again if you don't get it)
Old 02-17-2009, 10:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 101541
Send a message via ICQ to the green machine Send a message via AIM to the green machine Send a message via Yahoo to the green machine
ha ha, guess i was tired when i posted. she wouldnt remotely fit in a car seat now. i need something like a crewcab S-10.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 11985
Send a message via AIM to 1TFROT
no prob. I have a 2002 xcab d-max and no issues. I do wish I had the CC for more room, but the xcab is enough for both kids for now. they are 10 & 6 and have enough leg room behind us.

next one will be a 2006 d-max, but in a CC
M&M Offroad triple threat chassis #27
1TFROT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
"Official"

Member # 27575
You know Mark, they do make trucks with 4 doors now. My sister drives an 04 Dodge Cummins 3/4 with 4 doors and fits 2 car seats just fine!! If you're upgrading, why not go with 4 doors? Your kiddies aren't going to be that small forever.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 42164
Just turned my son around. Daughter sits in the middle and loves it. Once he turned around, there is plenty of room. Should be even better once they are in boosters.

Last edited by JHowery; 02-21-2009 at 02:28 PM.
JHowery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Smoke View Post
You know Mark, they do make trucks with 4 doors now. My sister drives an 04 Dodge Cummins 3/4 with 4 doors and fits 2 car seats just fine!! If you're upgrading, why not go with 4 doors? Your kiddies aren't going to be that small forever.
Jeese Carl, didn't you even read what I wrote

If I was just getting it for me/the fam, CC would be the ticket, but since it will also be a work truck, there are "political" reasons for the extended cab instead, plus I would like the maneuverability with bed length.

Thanks for the info guys. Economics said to pass on the truck I was looking at, but in a couple months things will be better and time to more seriously look again, till then I'm going to kick some tires and try out some seats. Once my son is turned around, I don't see an issue, so they kick the back of the seat, they'll like that , till then, if space is an issue I'll put him in the middle.

If I have just one, or its just me and the kids, one of them might end up in the passenger seat anyway. More room in general that way (and easier to get stuff in/out of the back, since only some of the seats I've found are a split back-seat).

Life was so much simpler before kids.... or wife for that matter (but many times its worth it!)
Old 02-22-2009, 04:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 36773
I got a 01 extended cab and a 6 month old. The car seat is in the middle and works pretty good. I keep my driver's seat all the way back and leaning back pretty far too. Most of the time I put him in thru the passenger's side, but I've had to go in front of the driver's and thru the middle too! It's not too bad but a pain sometimes. I would want a crew cab but the extended cab works fine for me. I'm not sure once we turn the carseat around to face front in a few months, but it isn't nearly as big of a pain in the but as I thought it would be.
alwaysbrokeYJ is online now   Reply With Quote