Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! (Pics) - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2002, 06:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 2769
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! (Pics)

I really appreciate all the input from everyone on my queston on what everyone though about the available diesels on the market ...

And thanks, MadDog for suggesting the right tire size and brand.

Quote:
Originally posted by BadDog
I agree, those skate wheels have got to go. In fact, mine left the day I bought it. I've got 285/75R16s Bridgestone A/Ts on mine Maybe BFG AT/KOs next time…

And a special thanks to DRM for the color matching Rhino Liner tip!

Quote:
Originally posted by DRM
I saw a Duramax with a matching green spray in liner that looked SWEET!
My current SuperDuty had a professional spray in liner, and I LOVE IT.

Couldn't have done such a good job without all of ya!

Wait till ya see the trailer!....
Jaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 07:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
TR
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 2877
Send a message via ICQ to TR Send a message via AIM to TR Send a message via Yahoo to TR
nice truck, but why get the aluminum head version? should have waited for GM to offer the duramax with iron heads. but nice truck none the less.
Old 08-27-2002, 08:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 2769
Quote:
Originally posted by TR
nice truck, but why get the aluminum head version? should have waited for GM to offer the duramax with iron heads. but nice truck none the less.
Are they slated to be produced with iron heads? When?

Couldn't wait any longer cuz I was terribly afraid if I towed again using my K1500 Blazer I would surely die from a crash caused by inadequite brakes ... and that was flat towing!

And thankfully I've heard no reports (so far) of the aluminum heads having problems (yet) after two full years of them being on the road ... unless you know something I haven't heard.
Surely if there have been a lot of failures, word would be out on them by now. My dealer has sold over a hunded of them and I was told they have had only one DuraMax go bad. And only one bad Allison 5 speed auto during this time.
And with a 100,000 mile engine warranty I'm not going to worry about it too much right now.
Old 08-27-2002, 09:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
CSP

Member # 1533
Quote:
Originally posted by Jaffer
Couldn't wait any longer cuz I was terribly afraid if I towed again using my K1500 Blazer I would surely die from a crash caused by inadequite brakes ... and that was flat towing!
Of course they were inadequate! Flat towing a vehicle is MUCH harder to stop than a trailer with brakes, but I'm sure you already knew that.

Anyhow, great looking pickup John. I like the color a lot. A friend of mine has over 85k on his Duramax without so much as a hiccup. I would bet that over 75% of his mileage is towing fairly heavy telecommunications equipment all over Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, and Arizona so his miles aren't "easy" miles. Hope your experience is as good as his.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 09:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 12393
Jaffer,
Nice looking truck. What size tires did you get? Were they the largest that would clear without interefence? Would 315 75R16 work?

Keep us posted on the trucks pros, cons and performance. Look forward to reading about it.

88 YJ, 350TPI, 700R4, D300 4:1, rear SOA D44 w/Warn floating axles, coil front D44 w/Warn Axles
nobody20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 12:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 2769
Quote:
Originally posted by nobody20
Jaffer,
Nice looking truck. What size tires did you get? Were they the largest that would clear without interefence? Would 315 75R16 work?

Keep us posted on the trucks pros, cons and performance. Look forward to reading about it.
The treads are 285/75R16s BFG A/Ts and fill the well in front but with absoultely no rubbing.
From what I saw at the dealer when we compaired at least five sizes standing side by side, I will have to assume those are the largest you can stuff in there and still turn to the stops.
I seriously doubt that 315s will work.

We took the truck to Prescott AZ this weekend - about 600 miles round trip, some through the mountains ... good for breaking in.
And the only thing I was dissapointed in was high speed passing.
The Allison didn't want to kick down for that extra little bit of speed. I expect with a heavy load it may behave differently, especially because it will be in the Allison's "Tow/Haul" mode which alters the shift spacing.
Old 08-28-2002, 12:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 8435
Send a message via AIM to rkcrawl
Jaffer - Sweet ride!

Grr this gets me going. 0.0% financing all around and I just can't swing another new vehicle right now.

Good luck with it.
Old 08-29-2002, 07:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 12393
Thanks Jaffer.

88 YJ, 350TPI, 700R4, D300 4:1, rear SOA D44 w/Warn floating axles, coil front D44 w/Warn Axles
nobody20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 04:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 477
Send a message via Yahoo to Keith Strong
Quote:
Originally posted by nobody20

Would 315 75R16 work?

Yer in Dodge territory now

Nice truck Jaff