Doubles or other ideas? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2009, 09:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 21750
Doubles or other ideas?

I need some opinions.

Here is my situation. I have a 2005 Cummins and a Lance camper. I pull a 20ft trailer with the toys on it. The wife wants a motorhome. I want the interior space but do not want to pay for it or much less tow with it. Don't want a huge 5th wheel trailer either. Plus we added a rhino to the toy list. I can't get everything out at once (cruiser, rhino, and 2 bikes). So I was thinking, I know, not a good thing! I like towing with my cummins (6spd). She want interior space. So...how about two trailers? I was thinking an 18ftgooseneck and an 18ft toy box. Yes, in that order! I have the license for it and my truck will pull it. That way I would have a small trailer to go regular camping with. I was concerned with the toybox being heavier then the gooseneck. But I realized that the gooseneck plus a 4000+lbs cruiser would out weigh the toybox no problem. I realize that I won't get the best mileage with this but oh well. Anyone tried it or anyone see a problem with it? Would a goose neck be right or do I need a 5th wheel?

**ROCKBRAWLERS**
jedrattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 4358
Send a message via Yahoo to FYRMAN
Check you local laws. Some states specify 5th wheel.

Also, forget about towing in Washington, Oregon, and a few other states. Strictly forbidden, no matter if you are legal in your home state or not. They will turn you around, or make you drop the second trailer. Sometimes they make you drop the second trailer, turn around, and make you come back empty for the second one.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 99437
Send a message via Yahoo to CTD NUT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FYRMAN View Post
Sometimes they make you drop the second trailer, turn around, and make you come back empty for the second one.
None of that crap surprises me anymore....but they are still pricks for doing that.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
1962 YellowSubmarine

Member # 1494
In Ca, First trailer has to be a 5th. (I've been told this so many time I believe it, but can't find the proof. I was told it by a DMV person, but thats worth a grain of salt. I never found it in writing anywhere. so if someone knows where, point me to it please.)

You'll also likely be WAY over the recommended weitght of the tow rating on the hitch of the first trailer, so plan on building your own receiver and tieing it into the frame up near the wheels so it is pulling on the 5th pin and not off the rear overhang of hte trailer frame.

Just get some good numbers on the lenths, but I think you should be well within the 65' max. Only reason I didn't go that route was I didn't want a CDL and all the BS that comes with it, but it seems you have it already so thats not an issue in your case

One other issue is making sure you're brake controller can handle all the braking axles

Ventura County Axle Snappers 4 Wheel Drive Club

Help Fight Global Warming- turn your A/C on high and open all your windows.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store - NOT a government agency!!!!

Last edited by YellowSub1962; 03-17-2009 at 07:50 AM.
YellowSub1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 4358
Send a message via Yahoo to FYRMAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowSub1962 View Post
One other issue is making sure you're brake controller can handle all the braking axles

[/COLOR]
Yeah. Something I didn't think to touch on. You will be limited to 4 axles with brakes. California does not allow idlers, and you will have to prove that all brakes work if you are stopped.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 105212
I do this

I have a 28 ft 5 th wheel and currently a 16' car trailer. Like you said you really need to have a CDL and now how to drive. Planning your next 2 moves ahead of were you are at is important. Now as for a few things I have learned #1 you can't see that second trailer so make sure everything is strapped down so it won't shift on ya, #2 always check your hitches, I have had my rear hitch for 4 yrs and I went to the hammers and it decided to come loose #3 your 5th wheel is NOT made to tow a trailer behind it, So what I mean is the king pen and the frame are not assembled to carry the amount of weight that the second trl adds to it, My buddy had a 30 5th with a malibu boat, when he got everything loaded up he hooked the truck to the 5th whl and saw a lot of movement, The hitch (king pen) was torn loose from the trl frame. I have more advice for ya if you want to P.M. me. There are 4 of us that do pull doubles alot. I love having my truck to do as I please when I get to my destination. By the way this pic is a 26k plus load. that is what you need to watch, it adds up fast
Attached Images

Last edited by ssic off road shop; 03-17-2009 at 08:31 AM.
ssic off road shop is offline   Reply With Quote