Dying Automatics - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2002, 07:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
Dying Automatics

I keep hearing about the dying Automatic Trannies.. I was wondering how you guys drive your autos?

Myself I have a Dodge that has 100,000 miles on it, other than a flush/fill at 80,000 or so nothing has been done maintenance wise to it. I was flat towing a 4,800lb jeep, then started towing it on a trailer, combined weight nearly 8,000lb.

I haven't had any tranny problems (knock on wood), but I also keep it out of OD unless I'm coasting downhill or doing 75+ on very flat ground, as well as don't let the automatic choose which gear. I force it to 3, 2, or 1. (that is while I am towing anything)

Do you guys do the same?
Travis Waldher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 09:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 2752
That's my driving routine too. Kick it down a gear, leave it there, and let the motor spin. I had the tranny pumped out, switched to synthetic, and added a second tranny cooler. I also change my tranny fluid and filter at 30,000 miles. Maybe overkill, but I haul some pretty heavy loads and have 145,000 miles without a glitch. I still expect to be replacing at least one tranny though before my diesel dies.
Tusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links