Leaf Ideas - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2009, 08:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 17542
Leaf Ideas

Might be a stupid question but looking for opinions. My current dd/tow rig is a ugly ass old 85 K20 with the awesome 10/14 SF axles(fixing to swap to tons!) While working on the turd this weekend I noticed the right rear leaf spring has a issue. The second leaf in the pack is broke right that the center where the pin is and the main leaf looks to have some problems at the same area. So springs are in need. The truck isn't going to see a huge amount of weight but its the only rig I have to drag crap with at the moment so...being a tow rig would you go with a different spring,stay same length,thicker pack,buy custom(Alcan)springs,flip shackle or no? Getting the ideas of the tow minded fellers would be nooice
Big Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 18283
get a pair of springs off of another one in the junk yard and call it good, If the ride is acceptable unloaded & loaded then don't get heavier springs. There's no reason to get custom springs unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4506
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonranger View Post
get a pair of springs off of another one in the junk yard and call it good, If the ride is acceptable unloaded & loaded then don't get heavier springs. There's no reason to get custom springs unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket.
Agreed.

And why are you thinking of swapping out the 10-bolt? Has it failed you? If its just a tow rig, and as you state, it doesn't haul super heavy loads, then swapping a D60 in the front is a waste of money.

Oh, and the 14-bolt rear you already have IS a 1-ton....
Old 03-30-2009, 07:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 72000
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustoleumWhite View Post
And why are you thinking of swapping out the 10-bolt? Has it failed you? If its just a tow rig, and as you state, it doesn't haul super heavy loads, then swapping a D60 in the front is a waste of money.
agreed. only reason to worry about it in a tow rig would be if you have a heavy gooseneck that shifts some weight to the front axle,and you were worried about the GAWR. youd need to load it all up and hit the scales to see how close it is to being an issue.

with a bumper pull that actually leverages weight away from the front,i definately wouldnt worry about it.

my project crewcab uses a 14 bolt C&C rear. im not swapping out my 10 bolt front-ive got dually adapters so that i can just run matching wheels on it.

on the rear springs i also agree. go to a junkyard and get a couple goodones from a k30 and call it good.
84 chevy home made crewcab

Delightfully Tacky,Yet Unrefined
nightcrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 13268
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustoleumWhite View Post
Agreed.

Oh, and the 14-bolt rear you already have IS a 1-ton....
He said the 14B is a SF. Wouldn't that be the LD 3/4 ton? I could see swapping to a 14B FF, but I would leave the rest.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motornoggin View Post
He said the 14B is a SF. Wouldn't that be the LD 3/4 ton? I could see swapping to a 14B FF, but I would leave the rest.
missed that. If it was a 14B SF, ya, I'd probably swap that out as well.

Just grab springs/axle and all from a (heavy) 3/4 or 1-ton. 4x or 2wd, just as long as it had the same gears (make life easy).

Probably look for the bigger rear brakes if I had the choice. I can't remember the year/models, but hey, if your doing it....