chains/binders vs. ratchet straps (re-visited) - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2002, 09:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 3196
chains/binders vs. ratchet straps (re-visited)

Up until a few months ago, I had 2 straps forming an X on the front axle as well as 2 on the rear axle. BUT, some FAWK head in Augusta GA felt he needed my front 2 straps more than I did and STOLE THEM OFF MY TRUCK!!! IT WAS STRAPPED DOWN ON THE FAWKING TRAILER!! Anyways, I ended up buying 5600# Binders, and borrowed a friends chains to get home.

Well, the other day I went and bought some chain, but am kinda confused on the best way to tie down the K5. I use the chains/binders on the front axle and the HUGE (12000 #) straps on the rear axle. I tighten the chains up as tight as I can, then with the ratchet straps, pull the truck back so they are tight as hell. What is the best way to secure this thing down? The way I described worked fine (just got back from a 240 mile trip), but there has to be a better way to get the chains tight. How are you guys who are only using binders get them tight?? I would rather use 1 chain/binder on each axle because those huge-ass straps are a pain in the ass to set up (oh yeah, those straps are used on the railroad to tie boxcars together when the knuckles break).

All ideas welcome!!

rob
UTV #1999

MJ Motorsports
yield2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 07:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 324
Why do you want it so tight ? They just need to be snug enough so it doesnt move.
Old 09-02-2002, 09:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 9840
I do the same but I have the chain on the rear axle and the strap in front. I don't use a binder because I can get it tight with the ratchet strap in the front. Works good so far. I put the chain in the back because I don't want my rig to run my truck over. Good luck.
SLO_Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 01:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 163
i also use chain and binders on both ends,but for a little added saftey i run my winch line around the front of the trailer and snug it up too...
Old 09-02-2002, 06:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 3587
Send a message via AIM to Recurve
I put my rig on the trailer 6-8" behind my "mark". I put the chains on the BACK, criss-crossed, as tight as I can get them. Then I roll the rig forward, in neutral until it stops. Then I put the front straps on, criss-crossed. Put the rig back in neutral with the e-brake off and tighten the straps down until the chains are taught. E-brake back on and in low gear. 10 miles down the road I stop and retighten.
Recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 09:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 11392
Quote:
Originally posted by Recurve
I put my rig on the trailer 6-8" behind my "mark". I put the chains on the BACK, criss-crossed, as tight as I can get them. Then I roll the rig forward, in neutral until it stops. Then I put the front straps on, criss-crossed. Put the rig back in neutral with the e-brake off and tighten the straps down until the chains are taught. E-brake back on and in low gear. 10 miles down the road I stop and retighten.
This isn't bad but I'd leave the trans in neutral. Don't need the wear in the trans.
70~K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 05:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 2769
I took this board's advice and went with chains in back (with a 10K lb. axel strap) and 10K lb. ratchet straps in front.
So far, so good...

A note on the chain though ...
Farmington is an oil field town so for chain I went to the big oil field service out fit here.
They had the standard bright dip galvanized chain on a spool (or barrel) in the front showroom but was shocked to learn that even the biggest of the chain had a less than 2K lb. rating!
They told me what I really needed was "transport chain".
Same size ... only it has an 8K lb. rating.
This is the stuff they use to tie drilling pipe and big compressors down with!
They sold them only in 20 ft. or longer lengths with hooks attached but I now have a new 12 foot tow/ hoist chain to spare beside the new sections for my trailer.
Jaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 01:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
Two ways to get the chains good & tight.

One, put some MUSCLE into it, or lacking that, some leverage (3' pipe outta do it).

Two, ratcheting load binder.

BTW, tight is definitely important because it will keep the binders from popping open. You can also wrap something around them to avoid that. I usually just wrap the excess chain around the binders, or lacking that, clothesline works great (or a coat hanger in a pinch).

TEX
Extreme Performance
www.kmelectronics.com
Bear Creek Auto Recyclers
www.svrehorsepower.com
TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 05:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 4773
Send a message via AIM to 4x4extreme
Read what jaffer said

The law states when using chain it must be transport chain
just look at the hook it will have it stamped to the side
#36. If I wanted to drive a foreign 4x I would move to another country.
[color=orange]80 cj 5 104" wb rockwell 16"kings 39.5 tsl[/color]
AND
1995 Hummer H1 Wagon

[SIZE="3"][url=http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZhumvee4x4QQhtZ-1]buy my stuff[/url][/SIZE]
4x4extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 10:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 13059
Most important is to cross the chains like an x ,and dont be afraid to use a long bar to get the binders tight,,and zip ties work great for making sure the binders stay tight..
Dan shsss is offline   Reply With Quote