Class "A" as a tow rig? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2002, 12:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 10429
Class "A" as a tow rig?

Thinking about this over the weekend, whilst relaxing in my buddy's American Eagle class "A" motorhome...

Since you can finance one of these beats for 20-ish years, PLUS, you get the tax write-off of a second home, I'm thinkin.... $500 a month over 20 years can get me ~$60-70k of rig...

I've seen some low-milage used ones that are in the price range, with diesel engines.

This would also solve the camping/hotel problem completely! (My S/O won't go on a trail ride unless there are showers available)

Besides only getting 8MPG, why not look into a 30-35'er, and pull the cruzah on a trailer?

Just tossing around some ideas...

It just makes sense since a good new tow rig is 30k + and ya can't live in it!

Last edited by Eskimo; 09-09-2002 at 01:02 PM.
Eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 01:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 2752
Man, you are serious about your tow rigs Actually, I have had the same thoughts. If you are in the right tax bracket, the right-off issue is huge. Let Uncle Sam pay for half Check into the insurance and registration though too. These can be EXTREMELY high. I know a lot of people register their huge RV's in other States to avoid paying outrageous registration, but the O&M on these rigs is significant.

I think this is the type of purchase where your friends say buy buy, and your accountant says stay with Tom Bodett.
Tusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2002, 01:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 7430
If I had the $$$ and time, I'd do a conversion to an old interstate bus.

Lots of room, gobs of power (the most common motor seems to be an 8v71 Detroit, with turbo(s) you can get 450 hp.)
The shells are relativly cheap, and if you convert yourself, you can add touches nobody else needs, ie: Extra sink for super greasy cleanups, underfloor storage for drivelines and axle shafts, ect.

I wonder if you could convert a wheelchair hoist into a engine/tranny lift???
Old 09-09-2002, 06:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4387
Class A is the way to go if you want to tow anything. Some of the class C's don't have enough frame to tow anything over 3K. One drawback for big RV's is parking. There is a size limitation in most national parks ( I think it's 26 feet), and getting a big enough spot at RV parks can be a challenge. Make sure you get a big ass diesel, just in case I'm ever behind you going up a pass. My neighbor just bought a 32 footer with a gas V8 , $50+ k and he can't go 55.

What you'll see From Norms Dodge Cummins as he passes you underpowered gasser RV's holding up traffic on the hills

Norm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 08:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 10429
Yeah, the GF basically said "is this thing gonna save you money, or is the cost difference worth it?"

If it's between a new Dodge truck and class A, yes, it's worth it to go class A.

If it's between a mid 90's truck or the class A, it's not worth it... The monthly cost isn't there to justify it.

No matter what I pull with, it's gonna be an oil burner. I can't IMAGINE driving a gasser!! That would suck MUCH ass.

Maybe once Ed McMahon comes a knockin..

As it stands now, I'll probably look for a mid-late 90's Dodge diesel 12v.. Bomb that biotch, and smoke out the d-max people while towing my FJ.
Old 09-10-2002, 10:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 12695
I just bought a 1992 Gulfstream 102 widebody 34' with a cummins. It had 65,000 miles. (32,000$). I plan to pull my chassis on a 18' trailer with tools. Took it to Hot Springs last weekend for first trip. After five years of driving to the events, then back to the hotel(mayby 3-15 miles) It was GREAT. We stayed at the trail. Had every thing we needed. Hot shower, AC, comfy bed.
Get this, we saved money!!!!!!!! We got 10 mpg, made all our own food. No shity 60.00 a night hotel. We cant wait to go to Tellico.
I bought an 84 ford one ton ambulance to tow with locally (1,500$). We have a toyota, so didnt need another truck. I park all my fleet out at a friends farm. I wont go back.
Dan

Last edited by Dan Dibble; 09-11-2002 at 12:28 AM.
Dan Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 08:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 2119
I am with the motorhome idea. i bought a 91 Bounder last year and as slow as the gasser is it is nice camping in. I dont race to the trail anyway so my 55er works great. Make sure to tell everyone the toilet is broke and the shower or the tenters will hound you.