U-Haul or Ryder trailers? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2002, 12:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 10818
Send a message via AIM to TNScrambler
U-Haul or Ryder trailers?

Just wondering if anyone has had any sucsess with towing a off road rig on a rent-a-trailer? My origonal plan was to rent one to haul my scrambler out to WY then rent another one to haul it back, but a buddy of mine says that even if I can get it to fit, these trailers are junk and I won't be able to drive normal hwy speeds with it. His experience with them was towing a '72 2wd c10 longbed behind a 2wd shortbed 454SS chevrolet. I will be towing a Scrambler with full width axles and 42's in the ~85 in. total width area. I'll be towing with an extra cab long bed 4x4 '96 Silverado 1500. What are yalls thoughts?

Thanks,
Justin
Old 09-10-2002, 05:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 324
Your buddy didnt know what he was doing.
Old 09-10-2002, 06:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 12393
Twice towed a CJ-5 on Uhaul once from CA to TX and TX to AZ behind my F-350. Towed just fine at 80mph.

My advice buy a trailer it costs to much to rent them IMO.

88 YJ, 350TPI, 700R4, D300 4:1, rear SOA D44 w/Warn floating axles, coil front D44 w/Warn Axles
nobody20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 10:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 8293
Send a message via AIM to chumly2071 Send a message via Yahoo to chumly2071
I'm not sure of current policy, but Ryder in the past wouldn't rent you a car toter unless you rent a truck to pull it with. There was a problem with people trying to pull with too light of a tow rig, and there were some accidents. Got that info from my uncle, who runs a Ryder rental outlet (although I got this information a few years ago, so it may not be current or even applicable).
chumly2071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 10:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 422
Cool

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a rental with the deck width that you need.
Formula Toy #006; Thanks to Deaver Spring, High Angle Driveline, Longfields, Rock Buggy Supply, PRP Seats, Marlin Crawler, Coast Motor Supply and RockStomper.

[url=http://www.tinbenders.org]TinBenders.org[/url]
RE:Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 03:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 3432
Send a message via AIM to TJpwr
a couple of years ago Uhaul told me that they would not rent to a person towing a soft top vehical. Now I was dumb enough to say that I WAS towing my Jeep but I found a better deal elswhere. Just dont tell them...

Phil
Old 09-10-2002, 05:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 4073
Check to see if there's a Hertz Equipment Rental near you. Me and a buddy rented two trailers from them for $175/week each.

Left one is the 6 ton model, 104" deck, 20 foot bed.
Right one (mine) is the 5 ton model, 80" between fenders, 16 foot bed. Fenders are strong enough to drive over if necessary.

The 6 ton had electric brakes which is why he had that trailer, 5 ton had surge brakes. Both uses pintle hitches.

Middle one is a rental too but from some other place. $55/day I think it was.
Old 09-10-2002, 06:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Poseur SUV

Member # 610
Send a message via ICQ to Paul Gagnon
Quote:
Originally posted by TJpwr
a couple of years ago Uhaul told me that they would not rent to a person towing a soft top vehical. Now I was dumb enough to say that I WAS towing my Jeep but I found a better deal elswhere. Just dont tell them...

Phil
I think either you or the U-haul dude were confused. The policy is that you can't tow with a soft topped vehicle, it's got nothing to do with the vehicle that is on the trailer. As far as the size, there are two different widths available from U-Haul and the max wheelbase is 133". I've towed a few times with U-Haul trailers and never had any problems. They are actually well built and nicely designed. The catch is that at $60 a day it doesn't take long to add up to the cost of a used trailer.
Paul Gagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 08:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
I've towed a uhaul trailer before with surge brakes and on a 1/2 ton truck.

IT SUCKED ASS!

The U-haul trailer is VERY tongue heavy once a vehicle is loaded. Surge brakes suck.

Go to a commercial place and get a good trailer with electric brakes.
Travis Waldher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 01:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 3432
Send a message via AIM to TJpwr
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Gagnon

I think either you or the U-haul dude were confused. The policy is that you can't tow with a soft topped vehicle, it's got nothing to do with the vehicle that is on the trailer.
Yeah that could be what happened. What do you think their reasoning is for that? Either way it does not really make sense to me.

Thanks, Phil

Old 09-11-2002, 09:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 10818
I'm probably going to buy a used trailer, I'm going to call Hertz tomarrow just incase they have a great deal or something, but more than likely going to buy one. I got a price from uhaul for one way Knoxville, TN to Laramie, WY for $399.....so then next year when I bring it home....$399, so after tax I've spend over $800 and have nothing of my own.

Justin
Old 09-12-2002, 05:57 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 7163
I, personally, liked the Uhaul trailers.

The surge brakes work, and work easily, the trailer is a little noisy over bumps, but all in all it's a good deal for $50/day. I've since bought my own, but when I didn't have the dinero, etc...

EDIT: FW axles will probably not fit.

These are stock with 38s:

Bryan

Last edited by Oxjockey; 09-12-2002 at 05:58 AM.
Oxjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 09:15 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
When I towed the u-haul trailer empty, I knew it was back there, I could feel it just trying to accelerate. It bounced a lot, it was noisy, etc. Loading my fiat on it, using THEIR tire straps, caused a tongue weight probably near 1,000lbs. It towed like shit.

Now I have a 8x16 flatbed trailer, that may weigh as much as a 3,000lbs, empty. It tows like it isn't back there. With a 4800lb jeep on it, I can tell its back there during acceleration and on anything resembling a hill, but other than that it tows like it isn't there.
Travis Waldher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 11:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Poseur SUV

Member # 610
Send a message via ICQ to Paul Gagnon
I've towed two fullsize trucks on the old style narrow U-Hauls. No problems fitting the width with either but they were stock tires. Backing up up-hill in gravel is a bitch with the surge brakes though.
Paul Gagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 08:21 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 11184
U-Haul:

an aquaintence recently said:
"they wouldn't let me rent the auto-transport without renting one of thier trucks"

...this was in person at the desk...

next day he reserves it on-line but at the same place!

...he goes and gets it early the following morning...sees a different clerk, tows it home with his truck!!!
Old 09-18-2002, 09:38 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 10818
problem solved

I solved my delima by buying a trailer today. I shoped around and found the best deal on one that suited my needs. Its a ridgeline 18'x7'.....16' flat 2' dove, and a true 7' wide inbetween the fenders. The fenders are diamondplate, and fairly stout, I think they should hold up with the 42's driving over them. And two 3500 pound axles, should be fine for my ~5000 (estimate) pound rig.

10-4,
Justin
Old 09-18-2002, 11:52 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 7163
I know you already bought the trailer, but you should weigh your rig & the trailer to make sure they're not over 7k lb combined.

Bryan
Oxjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 09:32 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 13268
I know I'm a little late here (just started reading this forum). I rented a Ryder car hauler & truck to move from Seattle to PDX. On the trailer was a 72 Blazer 3/4 ton (D44, Eaton) with 39.5 Swampers. Fit no problem. Thought I would post in case anyone else wanted to know.
Old 09-26-2002, 01:12 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 10818
Thumbs up Update

Well, I just arived in Laramie last night after driving 1500 miles in 32 hours....the trailer pulled excellent! I luckily had no problems and just cruised along....I didn't even know the trailer was there when I got up to speed and it handled great in the speeds of up to 93 (open flat roads in Nebraska).

Thanks to all for their stories and opinions.

Justin Ray
Old 09-26-2002, 01:50 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 7412
i am just glad you bought your own trailer, for the money they charge to rent. it doesn't take long to make it pay for it self. mike