converting flatbed trailer to a box trailer, Q?s - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2009, 12:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 99496
converting flatbed trailer to a box trailer, Q?s

has anyone converted a flatbed trailer to a box?

I have a 18ft American Manufactures trailer with a 2 ft dove tail, Im thinking about converting it to a box trailer and looking to see what ideas people have used to do this on the cheap and light..

Last edited by NotSafe; 08-05-2009 at 12:02 PM.
NotSafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 2147
Send a message via AIM to mbryson Send a message via MSN to mbryson
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSafe View Post
has anyone converted a flatbed trailer to a box?

I have a 18ft American Manufactures trailer with a 2 ft dove tail, Im thinking about converting it to a box trailer and looking to see what ideas people have used to do this on the cheap and light..

Strangely, I've been considering the very same thing. Basically build my own toy hauler. I'm SURE I won't save any money, but it'd work for what I need it to do. I am concerned about it looking like ass, though.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2009, 08:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 72000
it would be alittle tricky to get the round shape up top and the corners... you could prolly make it square but it may let water stand up there and maybe not as aerodynamis.

lately ive seen a couple 16 footers on local craiglist for $2500. alittle shorter than your current setup,but im sure you cant build it that cheap and if you buy it, it wont look like ass

even if you figure $3500-$4500 for a decent 16-20 foot car hauler type enclosed trailer youd prolly still come out ahead to just buy one. especially if you put a value on your time.
84 chevy home made crewcab

Delightfully Tacky,Yet Unrefined

Last edited by nightcrawlers; 08-05-2009 at 08:58 PM.
nightcrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130003
If you REALLY want to enclose your open trailer, look up "Redneck Trailer Supply" they have nice web site. They have the aluminum "stuff" to make the rounded front, and all the trick top bows, and side "studs", and after looking that over, you can buy a nice used one much cheaper than you can build it.
Harold Phipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 2147
Send a message via AIM to mbryson Send a message via MSN to mbryson
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawlers View Post
it would be alittle tricky to get the round shape up top and the corners... you could prolly make it square but it may let water stand up there and maybe not as aerodynamis.

lately ive seen a couple 16 footers on local craiglist for $2500. alittle shorter than your current setup,but im sure you cant build it that cheap and if you buy it, it wont look like ass

even if you figure $3500-$4500 for a decent 16-20 foot car hauler type enclosed trailer youd prolly still come out ahead to just buy one. especially if you put a value on your time.

Good advice. I've been looking for an enclosed. I've looked at the Work and Play models as well. The wife thinks they look to "utility" and would prefer a more RV look

I really think I'm going to get serious about hauling my Jeep on the deck of a flatbed though (F450 or similar). Then just tow a conventional travel trailer.

Last edited by mbryson; 08-05-2009 at 10:37 PM.
mbryson is offline   Reply With Quote